[Spoilers] Alexstrasza and the Dream

The Desolate Counsil showed us that good Forsaken exist. Too bad Evil Forsaken seem to be the norm.

1 Like

For a conflict like this to have some kind of interesting reverberation it would be interesting if the scale of it really felt like something reminiscent of a world war.

The best way in my opinion would be something that shows us a process of rebuilding the Alliance and Horde where they look like military superpowers again. And that this conflict was due to the exhaustion of natural resources.

A revamp of EK and Kalimdor, showing that the factions now occupy a good part of the territories, with an infrastructure where it is clear that they are able to mobilize a large amount of resources. Furthermore, making it clear that the armies of both factions are at the height of their military power.

The Alliance may feel compelled to occupy more and more space in the north, having to find arable land. She could initiate a process of large-scale revitalization of these territories, which could arouse fears in the forsakens, nullifying Calia’s discourse that the Alliance is not expansionist.

A way to undermining Calia speech would also be to create a split in the Desolate Council in which some forsaken began to settle in Gilneas and its surroundings, while the Alliance, motivated mainly by an increasing approximation of kaldorei, Kingdom of Stromgarde and Genn come to believe that it is justifiable to demand the return of their lands from the Horde.

And that in this negotiation process things escalate to skirmishes in which worgens start attacking forsaken targets in occupied lands. This could precipitate an increasingly unified Alliance response, in which Turalyon feels morally obligated to send troops to Genn.

The blood elves, now with their kingdom completely rebuilt, may see this as an Alliance colonialist project that threatens their borders, and become involved in the conflict, since the void elfs would be engaged as an elite strike force that would carry out operations behind the forsaken lines with Alleria’s leadership.

In addition, conflicts in the Broken Isles, where the kaldorei and worgens are growing closer to the nightborne, could lead to some kind of coordinated response among the elves of the Horde.

For me, such a conflict needs to be something that has to do with a new period of tensions, in which after several patches we will see how it unfolds. In addition, it may have an interesting angle in which the eventual unification of the factions has to do with a discourse of sustainability, since the growth of the Horde and the Alliance has become a threat for the balance of the planet.

This would also serve to create a moral of the narrative, in which somehow the climate change discourse could be inserted, but in a more mature way, different from what happened in the horrific scenario of mag’har recruitment in which the planet was dying for reasons.

Edit: This conflict would also be interesting to legitimize Anduin’s position for the first time in history. As opposed to the character’s delusional speech that the Horde is honorable that he has delivered since War Crimes.

The factions would be forced to come to some kind of long-term compromise, influenced by Anduin and perhaps Thrall’s son by the fact that for the first time, the unbridled progress of the factions became a problem for the planet’s survival, and therefore it is necessary that there is a real effort to preserve the balance of the planet.

I think this would be interesting, because in the end it would show that the world of Azeroth has reached a level of understanding that even our real world has not reached, as until today we have been unable to come to terms about sustainable development.

Nobody would necessarily need to become villains in this story. But the Horde would feel invested in this conflict and the Alliance as an initial aggressor and feeling justified could have its moments of villainy.

Edit2: Another thing is that in DF for the first time I feel like it makes sense to save a place. All Azeroth maps, because of this classic Warcraft narrative model that is inspired by the crapsack world theme, made me think that nothing matters, since all maps practically looked like they had been nuked.

Azeroth needs to feel more like a place worth saving, as opposed to this horrific landscape we find where everything seems to have been destroyed. I think this is why kaldorei fans have such a fondness for classic maps of the race. Because they seemed much less affected by this narrative in which everything seems to have come out of a post-apocalyptic world.

Thats gnomes.

2 Likes

Are you for real? The Desolate council demonstrates why blizzard so often resorts to gaslighting to tell stories. It works on peanuts. And thats all they need to do for this game. Sad.

1 Like

There is genius in our madness chief.

1 Like

I mean, there is genius, you invented perfect flight dynamics!

-punt-

GOAL!!!

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Goblins and their big ears have us beat in that department, their ears are natural wings to soar above the horizon. Thats why they ride rockets, they have no need for wings

I strongly agree with this sentiment.

Classic zones had plenty of problems - they had to have quests for adventurers to solve by hitting things, after all - but that early zone style focused more on exploring the local cultures and seeing what they were like. Many had pressing dangers happening, but many other zones were more calm and their quests more ‘keeping the status quo’ rather than ‘reacting to an immediate threat’. This had the benefit of letting the player know what the status quo was for that culture.

Their Cata revamps, for obvious and understandable reasons, focused much more on the destruction wrought by the Cataclysm (and, especially in Ashenvale, the faction war) - and thus felt less like exploring a culture. While it fit the theme of the expac and was the clear choice at the time, I think this change damaged the long-term player connection to each playable race as a culture.

6 Likes

How exactly is this gaslighting? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

It’s not.

Some people are just… well…

Gee I don’t know dude, perhaps they could have written a narrative they didn’t involve a blue fairy flying in to save the day, and let the forsaken speak for themselves.

1 Like