[Spoiler]Judgement of Sylvanas

I actually agree with this point. The Alliance seemed like they were structurally eroding in BFA which was paving the way for Tyrande to get villian batted.

I’m not sure if it’s good optics or poor optics to take Tyrande in that direction but not letting her go anywhere feels like a huge loss.

Dev’s telling Alliance fans “But you won the Fourth War! Aren’t you happy?” No, it was an empty victory. The Alliance gained nothing and lost emotionally.

14 Likes

“But, but, it made Blanduin Everright the Puregood look soooo cool and wonderful, how can Alliance players not love the story we wrote for him, I mean them!!??”

5 Likes

I wasn’t talking about the players.

Elegy was the first piece of writing to drop the G bomb. It was lazy writing on Golden’s part. Honestly, it could easily have been waved away by a competent cdev team as just an oversight, and the lazy writing it was. Instead they doubled down on it in interviews and then again in game.

2 Likes

In an earlier age, I think BfA would have been fine. The catharsis we used to get was more faction war. The warfronts should have been new or updated BGs with bg factions and rewards. The island expeditions should have been better. There should have been more faction war in BfA, at least on par with Pandaria, which is the home of like, every other random BG.

SL should have had more faction war… but instead they veered away from it. Really? How is there no Shadowlands specific BG? We are seriously all friends now. Just like so many always wanted. Hows it taste pacifists?

If you assume the weekly PvP quests in Oribos are canon, the Brokers there mention that small-scale conflicts still rage on Azeroth.

Yes, and I like to think they are right. But the story this entire expansion has been 100% faction war free… you know, except for all the inter-faction murders on behalf of the weird aliens we just met.

because teldrassil and the entire wot was a genocide…how could you debatte this, it was about to end the night elfs as a culture…hell, even sylvanas said it so…in her own inner dialogs.

7 Likes

I would direct you to all the places this was debated before.

And it was established in those debates that they were genocide.
Pretending it isn’t to make the Sylvanas redemption make sense isn’t a viable strategy.

12 Likes

In the period between the RTS and the MMORG, Theramore was also the locus of trade between Orgrimmar and the Alliance. It wasn’t a period that lasted long but there was a time when the two cities did brisk business together.

I really wish people would stop acting like Sylvanas has been ‘redeemed’. Throughout all of 9.2 Blizzard has kept beating us over the head with Sylvanas herself saying she expressly is not redeemed. She is only accepting what she did was wrong and that she has to face judgement for her misdeeds.

She is not going to get to go happily skip off at the end of this. Her day in court as it were is coming.

Just a thought.

1 Like

It wasnt. What has been clearly established, time and time again is that the only source in the original narrative to use the term genocide was Elegy. Even Elegy contradicts itself. At most, Elegy would describe a cultural genocide, which isnt really genocide. It’s a poetic use of the term. At the time Elegy was written, the in-game narrative and the partner novella, A Good War, both represented a clear attempt to burn a mostly empty tree. A strategic, deliberate plan to allow the Night Elves to evacuate.

This has since been retconned. And thats OK. But Elegy was where the genocide narrative started.

1 Like

It isnt correct, but I understand the sentiment. She’s agressively remorseful. It doesnt feel good for Sylvanas fans, and it doesnt feel good for Night Elves.

Both of the most polarized members of the audience would probably be happier with a defiant, angry, sour Sylvanas being defeated and destroyed than a harder, daddy masochist.

3 Likes

Looks at his avatar pic.
What am I, chopped liver? I am a Kaldorei fan tyvm. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You don’t write for the polarized people in an audience, that is how you increase polarity. What they need to write for the middle and and try to cool stuff down after turning the divisiveness up to 12 back in BFA.

The I’LL NEVER ACCEPT MY CRIMES UNTIL THE BITTER END thing they did with Garrosh, and it worked for him. I don’t think it would ever be good with Sylvanas.

Are you arguing semantics or the event itself?

1 Like

I was actually going to make a similar post. Not that I would use it as one of my wishes if I only had 3… but, the story ain’t over, and we don’t know what will happen.

For example :

What if Tyrande practically quotes Sylvanas verbatim - right down to the “be gone” and “your name is nothing”, and sends Sylvanas to the Maw to save every soul she can for eternity. As some sort of “Maw Ranger” for lack of a better term.

I can understand consternation as we await, and making theories, and all that - but some people act like it happened already. We don’t even know what will happen.

That’s why this thread is still lingering- because it hasn’t happened.

2 Likes

After it’s happened some posters will argue, a lot.

So… It’ll be unchanged??

Well… of course.