Spell hit worth currently?

Morning all,

I’ve been pouring over some logs on my server looking at what gear warlocks are running on their high parses. Currently seems to be a mixed bag with some running none, some running 1% and some running the max 3%. Honestly the numbers all seems to be within margin. I guess im posting here to maybe get a better picture is 3% worth it currently? Again this is with respect to warlock. Cheers in advance.

the prob is there isn’t much spell hit gear worth worrying about hit at this phase. the cap is like 17 or something…but the best you can get from gear is no where near that. so long answer not yet …short answer no. if you can get it then get it but it wont make a huge difference. things start to change in the coming phases

1 Like

i put on a little bit and i noticed a pretty big difference in MC last night. might be confirmation bias but I think it’s worth not having a banish resisted 6 times in a row

1 Like

It’s worth less than 10 spell power for now since we dont have huge crit/spellpower yet. Look at the total stat distribution on the item. The BRD arena belt is good because it has spellpower and hit, and that gets replaced in MC.

The other available hit pieces have no or such low spell power that they are worse.

In short, most of the pieces with spellhit on them suck. Plus there isnt enough spell hit in the game to make a dent in our miss rate. Better off just going spellpower/crit and praying to the RNG gods for now. When bloodvine comes the situation changes.

2 Likes

Spell hit is worth 10 spell power (on frostbolt) until spell ranks get higher in AQ. There is no way to hit cap with current gear.

Different spells react differently based off coefficients. Banish is binary but checks hit on each tick so yeah RNG is a pita.

yeah i think if you look into the data 3% will have no visible impact over a few months of MC and even less if your running like neck and belt

There is no static equivalency for Spell Hit and Damage. Their relative values fluctuate depending on your current damage/hit/crit. The warlock discord has a sim spreadsheet where you can input your gear, what buffs and consumes you have, etc. and it will tell you how much damage is equal to 1% hit and 1% crit. For me currently (506 unbuffed damage, 3% crit and 1% hit on gear) when I am fully buffed, 1% hit is worth about 15 damage and 1% crit is worth about 10 damage.

Not really how hit % works as far as its impact.

But as you note:

I have no idea on the breakpoints or whatever, but as you acquire more gear the value of not missing will go up increasing spell hit’s value, but it’s not really tied to how much is available because whether you’re at 0%, 5%, or 10% you’re still gaining 1% hit.

is it just the standard warlock discord or is there a classic lock discord?

Classic Warlock Discord:
https://discord.gg/pGTRNu

1 Like

What I’m saying is, adding 1% hit when you have 200 spell power is not the same value as adding 1% hit when you have 400 spell power. Same for crit. Their dps value goes up the more of each other you have because they each increase damage in a different way.

Right now since most locks dont have a lot of spellpower or crit, those stats are generally more valuable than hit is for raising their dps, relative to the stat budget on items

dont worry about it until ZG
THEN you can look for a hit cap

2 Likes

Hit cap by itself is not a goal to shoot for. There is no phase in Classic where warlock BIS setup gets you to the hitcap. You need to judge each item based on its total stats and how it compares to the other available items in that slot.

1 Like

Yes, I was agreeing with that part. All stat values go up when you get more gear FTR, although their relative value may change.

What I was pointing out was that you said

And that’s not how hit works. An extra % of spell hit means you have a 1% increased hit chance, the end. That value of hit isn’t impacted by the amount, or lack thereof, of hit available in-game. Its value is directly tied to your own characters stat weights (like you pointed out). That’s all I was trying to point out, because unless I misunderstood you seemed to be implying it wasn’t worth getting spell hit because not enough was available in game to justify it.

When you looked at those logs did you look at what their actual miss rate was for the run in comparison to their gear? The reason it is a top parse is because it is an outlier with a sub 10% miss rate.

Yes, there is not enough hit currently to bring your miss rate to something consistent and reliable. Choker of the Fire Lord will always be better than Star of Mysteria, SoWS better than Banthok Sash, and RoVPower or RotVoid better than Felheart Chest.

honestly with all of the data plus reading a lot of the posts here i think its safe to say the hit atm means bugger all whether you have it on or off.

Don’t worry about hit till ZG

1 Like

You just don’t understand how stat weights work then.

If there is only one item that is well itemized and it also happens to gives 1% hit and your base miss is 17% is it make or break to have that 1%? No. Does that change the weight of the 1% hit? Also no. You still gain DPS from having that 1% hit. Conversely if I offered you a trinket with 17% spell hit you’d take it because the math would show the value of that 17% hit would far outweigh any other trinket you could have from the game. It has nothing to do with the idea that “We can’t visually notice the difference between 0% and 1% hit chance”.

If you read the thread people have been discussing that the warlock discord has a spreadsheet to calculate the value of hit against spell power. And that means you could math out which is more valuable based on your gear.

I didnt really flesh out my thoughts fully writing from phone. My fault. What I mean is, sometimes we make choices out of convenience rather than optimization. In the case of warlock, just to make my life less annoying when it comes to banish/curse, if the hit rating was available to cap I’d seriously consider taking it even at a dps loss. The consistency can be worth it, especially if the RNG gods are not in your favor.

It’s not. So then it goes into pure dps concerns regarding stat weighting. Does that make sense now?

Do you really think 3% hit is going to have that much of an impact when simm’d?