Spell batching is stupid, please remove it

00:03:24.045 Delimicus casts Lay on Hands on Gerrard
00:03:24.078 Onyxia Melee Gerrard 975 (O: 768)
00:03:24.479 Gerrard dies from Onyxia’s Melee

This was the one thing that should never have been brought back. Fluidity of gameplay is more important than some gimmicky, “funny” situations where Mages sheep each other. You brought in the modern raid frames, why in the heck did you bring back some archaic action priority system from Vanilla?

It is one of the biggest contributors to complaints on the forums, along with server queues and BG premades.

21 Likes

Yes it is, how very astute of you.

Reported. For. Spam.

I’m with OP, bring back og raid frames.

It’s a 16 year old game, bruh.

1 Like

“sIxTeEn yEaR oLd gAmE!!!”

So should we have server instability, crashes and 2-3 day downtime too? After all, “16 year old game”.

:roll_eyes:

spell batching is literally just an artificial 400ms of lag that exists for no reason other than “MUH NOCHANGES”, and causes more harm than good. Nobody liked vanilla for how laggy it was. Literally all this does is make the game feel laggy and unresponsive. Private servers felt better to play on than this.

11 Likes

No. Modern UI and tech improvements should have been made with consistency.

Spell batching should never have been reverted to Vanilla levels. It’s a nearly unanimous opinion (aside from trolls upset that Classic is doing well). People have realized just how awful it was, even the people that wanted it.

6 Likes

Dang. I guess there’s nothing I agree with OP, then.

1 Like

Yeah its dumb, agreed that should never have worked out like that. I was even in favor of it for PVP but in raid damn its annoying. Hope that burning crusade does not have it like this.

1 Like

100% agree.
This isn’t 2004. We have better internet now. If your ping is 400ms to the server, maybe you should consider playing on a server closer to where you live anyway.
There’s really no need for this artificial 400ms delay on everything including picking up items, selling items, leaving combat, etc.

7 Likes

would love to see that both batching windows made as tight as possible, and the leway thing killed off to. no need for them in 2020

5 Likes

Agreed as well. There is no reason for it and It does not add anything to the game. It only takes away.

Please remove it.

1 Like

Words as cringey as his retail Disney anthromorph fox. Genius.

4 Likes

We have no idea what the implications of removing leeway would be. Leeway still exists in BfA today, WoW has never existed without it. Spell batching on the other hand, we know EXACTLY what lowering the window as low as it could go would do because it’s been that way on retail for the last 6 years.

It would make the game feel less laggy and would make your abilities perform as their tooltips suggest. It would make healing and vendor interactions smoother and more consistent. Blizzard purposely made the game feel worse to satisfy some ludicrous “No-change” philosophy, while at the same time breaking that philosophy with a number of other changes.

5 Likes

I do, I played heavily on the private servers for a number of years and they don’t have it on the private servers. They’re not flawless like some of my private server homies like to say, but the private servers are basically classic wow with some alterations like harder hitting npcs and no leway or batching. They’re not popular on this forum and people say you are a pirate for playing them but they were the only option for a really long time. The game play on the private servers uses the original 1.12 client that has some pros and cons, the pros of the old client are that it uses less memory, runs better but that could be subjective, but the cons are that people can hack it much easier, but those hacks are known and cracked down on in private servers they straight ban players for that.

Cant promote the private servers here, and I dont but if you want to know what the lack of leeway is like you can build your own and run an old real blizzard 1.12 client, its very easy to set up. Get some guild members on it and try out the same fights, they are decently scripted on stock magos, it does not come with out some bugs, but its free to experiment, and can be good practice for future raids if you like that ptr practice.

The implementation of batching we have is not 16 years old.

It is some BS blizzard added because a handful of people whined that batching was about skill. And now works differently than vanilla and sucks more.

4 Likes

It works exactly like it did in Vanilla. There has been zero legitimate evidence posted that proves otherwise.

The only way Blizzard is ever going to modernize the batching, is if people accept they were wrong in ever wanting it. Constantly claiming Blizzard implemented it wrong, when they know they haven’t, isn’t going to change a damn thing.

They both 100% implemented it wrong and should never have catered to the handful of jerks who claimed batching allowed for skill.

Blizzard should have said up front, batching was an artifact of server architecture and won’t exist anymore just like all the other improvements.

I am one of the jerks who thought it was a good idea, and was happy with the thing until I played it. Its not working out how I remember it playing for sure it just plays clunkier than I recall, is clunkier even a real word? If I need to say oh blizzard I was wrong, just to get rid of both then please get rid of both because I was wrong to want these things, they are both bad for game play and totally kill the skill cap of the game as they play out right now.

4 Likes

Well it takes a great person to admit when they are wrong so much respect to you, and you’re not alone.
There are plenty of others who advocated for it who now feel they were wrong in hindsight.
At least a lot of the community now knows that spell batching is pretty bad in practice. Maybe now Blizzard will fix it, maybe not, but at least now it most likely won’t slip into Blizzard’s classic TBC. So something to look forward to.

You could write a book on what you think Blizzard should do/should have done. Thank Allah, you’re not Blizzard.