Spell batching is complete cancer

You mean other than the major server side changes made since vanilla?

1 Like

Problem is, they emulated the batching, which is why the devil is in the details. Only because we see certain spells/abilities take a prio on 1.13 does not mean it worked the same in vanilla, when they had a different batching system.

Which is why this is especially frustrating.

2 Likes

That makes sense, and also why it may just be better to go forward and eliminate the batching emulation in favor of a first come first server kinda system like they do with retail wow. Its a nice improvement and makes the game better in that one way for sure.

What I’d give to work at Blizzard for a month to see how they implemented vanilla to retail architecture migration and massaging the data to “fit”…

Likely what you would expect from a couple guys in a shed.

They literally told you in their own bluepost that its emulated and they recreated it.

This clearly states that 1.13 uses multiple game loops instead of the original singular one. All they did was put spells on low priority. Now while this may come close to original batching it is doubtful this system handles everything exactly the same as the original client did. Its just not trustworthy, considering what 1.13 else screwed up ever since its inception.

1 Like

Play a shaman and you will come to love batching
Imbue weaving is fun.

Every action that one unit takes upon another different unit is batched, just like they were in Vanilla.

Vendor interactions are batched on Classic. Are vendor interactions a spell?

Blue post telling you its not the same, while you still insist its the same :confused:

As usual you love to quote to blue posts that fit your narrative and ignore the ones that do not. Its perfectly possible the events OP described did not happen in vanilla while they do happen here.

Its easy to say “nobody has been able to prove it”… well yes because all the players have are super old videos that are a mashup at this point from the original game as well as various pservers and that probably will not show a scenario described like the one OP complained about.

2 Likes

Spell batching is everyone’s boogeyman.

The currentt classic spellbatching is not vanilla like. Rogues vanishing dots wasnt a thing in vanilla.

The Blue post doesn’t say that. I’m not going to argue this because I know I’m right and I know what you’re doing.

You are flat out wrong, we’re on a modern version of the server engine which has a significantly better version of batching than what existed in vanilla. The junk we have in classic was cludged into beta very very late and has no reason to exist at all.

I’m not wrong. There has been zero legitimate evidence provided in any of these threads that batching is functionally different on Classic than it was in Vanilla.

Statements like this:

Show me that the people arguing with me here don’t know the subject well enough for me to even consider wasting more time pulling up all the old Blue posts, videos and other evidence I have proving it’s working exactly as it did in Vanilla.

Pretending that batching is “wrong” and asking Blizzard to change it based on that faulty presumption isn’t going to work. Blizzard hasn’t touched it in over a year because they KNOW it’s working properly. The ONLY way they’re going to ever consider changing it is if people appeal to their recent statement about erring on the side of fun:

The community needs to admit it was wrong and kindly ask for a reversal on the batching implementation. That’s it, that’s how you get batching removed. Not by blaming Blizzard and lying to yourself that they “got it wrong,” or anything else.

Admit batching sucks, it always sucked and there’s a reason they put so much effort into changing it.

I use to think it was gonna be really great, but it’s not really great.

The best thing we as a community can do is to come together on this thing and give up this classic batching thing in favor of what is a more practical solution that exists by default in the game server. In other words, retail’s system for handling things in order as they are executed.

This would be a blessing for literally everyone playing classic or later TBC.

Except that it’s literally not the same batching we had in vanilla.

I guess you are wrong. Either you are wrong or the blueposter is lying. Which is it?

I dunno, Nost used batching, as well as other popular pservers. For some reason people had no issues with it there. 1.12 does feel different than 1.13 for sure.

1 Like

That bluepost was referring to Retail when it said “nowadays.” Classic was put back onto the single loop. This is why we have “vendor lag”, because all actions a unit takes on another different unit are now batched, just like they were in Vanilla.

Spells that you cast on yourself are not placed into the spell batching loop. This is why a Paladin can use Divine Favor and batch Holy Shock by casting it immediately after a heal. You’ll get two free crits instead of one; this only works when you cast the Holy Shock on another player.

The batching we have is functionally identical to what it was in Vanilla. It’s a 400ms loop that all unit on unit actions are placed into.

https://i.imgur.com/EdBh2xt.png

Except classic is still using the modern batching system which is different than vanilla batching system. All they did was change it to 400MS instead of as fast as possible.

Which is why it doesn’t function the same as it did in vanilla.

1 Like