[Speculation] Battle for Azeroth: The pre-rewritten story

N O P E

Yeah sure and Towelliee inspired them to use saurfang

:roll_eyes:

Taliesin has since deleted the original tweet but Golden is confirming here that she suggested using Calia instead and they went along with it, and Taliesin apologizes for suggesting the word “pushed”

6 Likes

streamers having influence on the writing staff.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/633333989427380237/807500588538527794/giphy_1.gif

4 Likes

Its clear that there is no plan when it comes to this story. Its just a free for all of subjective “cool” ideas that they smash together and call it lore.

14 Likes

And then they forget about the things they wrote immediately to move on to the next thing they think is “cool”.

spoilers: They aren’t cool.

6 Likes

Depends if you could consider this as what you’re looking for (IMO not a bad or irrational video, but depends on who likes what):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbSAXjlSzus

edit: oh, I forgot about it, but also this:

https://youtu.be/uxKOAfEoDwM?t=211

As much as I really enjoy Calia’s story so far, I don’t really want to see her as the forsaken leader either.

You could consider as a confirmation the answers to the question about how the allied races are picked (~ 12:30) and about Yrel (15 25:30). At least that’s how it seems the team worked when Afrasiabi was the lead on that side.

Maybe you’ll find more in the interview if you want to watch all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nGnT6WZbeI

gl hf

1 Like

Never was but people still cling on that lie from Metzen about storyline have 3 expansions ahead and being written even after launching a new one.

I guess this is the result when creativity freedom is being giving too much

Planning takes many forms.

I have planned to eat chicken 3 days next week, 2 days fish, and 2 days beef.

I have no idea what I’m actually going to make, however, but I did plan my meals :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

We’re talking on a corporative level which requires at the barest to take in account 3-4 years

See above and you need a vegetarian day(just a suggestion)

Thing is bad planning can cost money and make the company broke and besides you need always to varie between dishes

1 Like

DEHTA approves :+1:

4 Likes

its more surprising that they actually needed a reminder of arthas sister to actually use her.

are these writers getting paid for drinking beer or what?

Now this has made me wonder, would DEHTA be mad at me after eating some elfie/humie for proteins? Like they never mentioned anything about that and would eating a druid draw the line for them?

Oh my, these questions will keep me wake at the night!

I think it’s incredibly obvious that BfA was hastily rewritten when Metzen stated in an interview that the last thing he worked on at Blizzard was the Battle for Lordaeron trailer and when he left the Burning of Teldrassil didn’t exist.

3 Likes

There is one thing to consider. Devs stated that they had begun to integrate deliberately false data in to their alpha build, to mislead data miners. I can’t say if they are simply full of it, so the re-writings aren’t as obvious (and how unplanned their expansions really are), or if it’s true. It’s something to keep in mind though.

I like the topic of this thread, it’s rather interesting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the datamined warfronts was a decoy, but I doubt all three of them were. I would bet cash money that they were originally planning more warfronts than we got.

1 Like

There’s two things I would consider here, one for and one against this statement.

In favor of them actually putting ‘false data’ in early builds to mislead data miners, I would say that if you look at both their statements and the way the story was presented in BfA, they seem almost comically desperate for a “big twist” that players aren’t able to predict. They do this to the point where it inhibits their writing, because they left out vital stuff like, oh, the motivations of the supposedly principal antagonist for all of BfA. So, them trying to set up false flags to fool data miners is 100% in this vein.

In the “against” column, consider this: They’re already pretty busy trying to get stuff done as it is. They don’t have infinite time or manpower to get done the stuff they DO need to get done (and there’s plenty of evidence that important gameplay functions were barely stitched together and shoved out the door for BfA). Spending some of that valuable time doing something as petty as creating false data to put into builds seems like a luxury they can’t afford - or at the very least, if they WERE doing it, they were certainly wasting time that could have been put into actually improving the game.

3 Likes

Another think is if they were writing the same story(Sylvanas-Jailer alliance) and they were considering variations or a completely different story.

Part of me wants to say it was less chasing a big twist, and more just butting heads in the writers table. Really isn’t any hard evidence I’ve seen to suggest it, but BfA’s writing was just so all over the place it only makes sense that it was in that state because of clashing ideas.

And while I cannot say how time consuming making false data is to throw off data miners, I do recall a video talking about some content back in WoD I believe. It apparently involved Karazhan, and over time it became more silly, eventually talking about Medivh’s Dance Party, or something to that effect. Don’t think it was anything other than a name to the file, but it was there.

1 Like

I actually had to reread my own text, because I wrote it so long ago. Who actually dug out this ancient thread?

I dare say that the Barrens-warfront was the most likely one to be added in one way or another. Not only is the zone already a battlefield in the current version, it’s also large enough to support such a scenario. And the music obviously which was playing even in the live-version (probably some sort of coding bug, where the wrong music files got picked or something like that). However with the way the story was written the whole warfront doesn’t make much sense, because after Dazar’alor the Alliance didn’t push their victory.

Again: I firmly continue to believe that the Alliance was originally supposed to be the aggressor, and as a result Sylvanas’s actions would have across as more ‘reasonable’ than just being moustache-twirling-evil, because they were fighting against an invading force which threatened their way of life (it would have also worked better for Shadowlands: After all the longer the Horde actually fought for Sylvanas, the more souls would be send into the Maw). In the current version the roles are not only reversed, but the Alliance also has the moral high ground as they conduct a pretty ‘clean war’ against the Horde.

2 Likes