Spec designs you miss

Old Marksman hunter before the legion rework. Haven’t played Marks since.

Fistweaver monk, old demo (the OG demon metamorph), bring back enhancement tank but as a seperate fourth spec so people can still play the damage variation.

I liked it when bread and water was summoned separately, I specced in to bread back in the days, when people asked me for water.

1 Like

Hunter Pre-Legion. Literally any version.

1 Like

i miss it so much… i can’t play mw monk now… i mean, soothing mists breaks if you move now, it’s just not the same. :sob: being able to move and heal at the same time, was the entire point of playing a mw monk!

Enhancement shamans and shadow priests from BFA. Shadowlands made shadowpriests feel like garbage, and completely ruined enhancement. When you have to rely on addons to keep track of resources like enhancement with maelstrom weapon then I’m not going to touch that spec.

Out of curiosity why do you need addons to track Maelstrom as Enhance? I quite enjoy the current spec personally.

BfA on the otherhand could feel good to play if you had good gear or good procs, but if you did it also made a good 30%+ of your rotation redundant because you just didn’t need your builders for Maelstrom generation.

Is it mostly 8.3 for those specs that felt great? Or the whole expansion? Just curious as the main opinion on both of those specs seemed to be the opposite of yours so I’m interested to know what you enjoyed about them so much

Mainly because I have to stare at two sides of my screen. One side obviously has my health bar and the other side to see how many maelstrom weapons I have. Doesn’t make it any easier when I’ve got like 15 other buffs with similar looking icons. Very hard to keep track of.

Also I don’t like the spec now because it feels like I’m forced to use lightning bolt too much, compared to BFA. Whole expansion was good imo.

I miss being able to enchant every piece of armor. The one thing cata did right was allow helm enchants and a few other new spots.

1 Like

It’s kind of interesting how you can clearly divide WoW into different ‘eras’ of class design philosophy, almost like WoW has been its own sequel a few times. Also interesting to see that a lot of the favourites come from those expansions that were the ‘pinnacle’ of a given design style.

Vanilla/BC/Wrath had the original design style that peaked in Wrath.

Cata/MoP was the first overhaul, a “WoW 2” that peaked with MoP.

And then you can probably link the last four expansions as one era, since they’ve all been trying to patch up the effects of the massive prune in WoD, though WoD could tentatively be considered a linking expansion between eras, and then the last three all one era.

In my case, I miss the MoP spec designs a lot, though a few of my faves are also from WoD, like WoD Spriest and Glad Stance Warr.

1 Like

Classic Druid
Pre-Cata Hunter
Pre-Legion Warlock
Classic/BC Warrior
G Stance Warrior
MoP & Legion Elemental Shaman
WoTLK Assassination Rogue
WoD Frost DK
Any Mage previous to WoD, but I’d take WoD Mage over what it is now

If you use the display near your character you can see your maelstrom stacks there as well so you don’t have to look in the top right and that also shows your health/mana together with it.

Personally I do wish that the display would differentiate between stack counts though.
It should have different colours or something to show 5 maelstrom, and then higher maelstrom ~7-8, as well as one to show if you are capped at 10.
Would make it a lot easier to track without addons or constantly having to check stacks.

It’s really insane how much damage WoD did to class and spec design as a whole. Some specs may have been functional or even acceptable in the aftermath but the sum result was not positive.

1 Like

If I rebuilt WoW from the ground up, I would have more classes but fewer talent builds per class, so this whole “figure out a way to make 3 good Rogue specs” thing goes away.

Then stop messing with them every single expansion, its ludicrous.

Yes. DPS sword and board. It was awesome. ^.^

2 Likes

This will likely sound controversial but I kind of miss BFA destruction warlock. Grimoire of Supremacy was great. Fight me!*

Sadly, the other parts of it I liked, the Azerite powers, died when we gave up our latest borrowed power system. Flashpoint made any fight with adds really engaging as I’d race to get immolate on any fresh spawn asap to benefit from Flashpoints tremendous haste buff. Rolling havoc made my havoc windows feel really engaging, and rewarding if I did them well. And lastly, Crashing Chaos (pre 8.2 nerf) synergized well with Grimoire of Supremacy

What we were left with was a really nicely put together dps spec. It was a spec that was relatively easy to pick up, and yet, would greatly reward good play. And throwing out double chaos bolts never fails to be satisfying.

Sadly, none of SL’s borrowed power systems make up for what we lost from BFA. Grimoire of Supremecy’s removal means that chaos bolt will always hit like a wet noodle. Destro feels slow to play anymore. The little skill that the spec involved is gone. Its not fun to play, and even after multiple buffs it’s still bottom tier. Even in 2 Target Cleave, where it should be queen, destro still loses to affliction.

*I’m terrible at PVP, and I’m really skinny IRL. Do not actually fight me ><

Any version of Survival between LK and MOP (MOP had the Best class design IMO, was the only expansion I enjoy playing just about any class, out side of a few outliers specs). but the lack of RSV is the #1 reason out of two big ones I really don’t care for anything Legion - SL *Friend got me to try BFA and he made it about a month and I about 2 before leaving).

*only reason I’ve resubbed (just last weekend) was for BC and with any luck LK classic later on to look forward too but BC is still better than retail, I have not even bothered to buy shadownlands.

I played a warrior through that but I have no memory of that at all :frowning: that is exactly the kind of character I want to play, and if I had designed warriors, that’s what they would be.

Most MoP designs sans boomkin, especially Mage, Rogue and Warlock.

God, I miss MoP rogue.

I miss the old talent trees and how all specs were generally the same with only a few differences. We need more class identity and less spec focus. Back when the game had just classes with passive tree selections buffing certain class skills or adding a skill here or there is when the game was at its best and the population proved it.

2 Likes