Spec Based Keystone Hero

So those of us that push keys know that in order to get the keystone hero title at the end of the season, you need to be in the top .1 percent of all players scorewise. Due to the exclusivity of the title, this is very hard to do, but even harder if you are not a meta class. I propose that the title should be granted to all those in the top .1 percent of their spec, rather than score in general.

This will increase the variety of specs that get the title, while keeping most of the exclusivity. To ensure that meta specs don’t change their spec to game the system it could also be required that 75 percent of your timed keys be in the spec you are attempting to qualify for as well.

All the prot warrior, arcane mage, feral druid and beast mastery hunters of the world need some love. And thats just the specs I know off the top of my head that you never see lol.

2 Likes

so basically take the FoS and make it mean absolutely nothing?

2 Likes

Uh no… We are still talking about ridiculously high scored players here. It will just make it so that others outside of the fotm specs also are represented. Youd be increasing the number of people with the title by a few hundred at most.

1 Like

The Top .1 will always play the meta.

And if you changed it so that specs outside of the meta could also have a realistic shot at the title i think you’d see some diversification. It would also ease up the angst over Blizzard’s less than stellar balancing.

2 Likes

Lol the lone feral player that only runs +5s gonna get the title

8 Likes

I mean the top feral druid in the world has like 3.6k io, nothing to scoff at. Its just trivial when you have like 100 locks at the same score.

1 Like

Well if feral can do it anyone can!

1 Like

i’d like to see spec based titles as well…i agree that it’s going to favor meta classes every season otherwise.

and it would still be competitive since things would be relative to the pool of players you’re up against. :100:

m+ needs to do more accessible things like this to make it more appealing to everyone, since it would be more in reach and realistic to obtain, not just us something for us tryhards. :nerd_face:

i’m okay with things being difficult (like a ladder rank), but they need to be realistic. For example - a druid (regardless of role) is gonna have a hard time competing against priest, shaman and warlock this season.

3 Likes

You could even have the title reflect their class instead of overall as well. Literally the only people this would negatively effect is those who literally chase the meta for an advantage.

If the title requires the class, fine.

But the bar for getting the title as a feral is going to be far lower than the bar for getting it as a warlock, for example. It also won’t mean anything.

1 Like

It would be rather silly for a 3.6k player to lose to a 3.5k player.

Also, what if I flex into multiple specs? So I need to run multiple +28’s for the same dungeon? How does this work if I’m a Mage, where I’m just playing my class properly? Do roles have specific rules? (While Healer: score=X, while DPS, score=Y)?

It’s gets very convoluted quickly. It’s better to just give it to players above a cutoff range.

2 Likes

i think it’s as simple as taking it from being one overall ladder - to being spllit into multiple ones based on either your spec, class or role. these ladders already exist btw, so it would be ez to implement too :nerd_face:

so it wouldn’t affect you if you’re running +28’s vs a player that’s class maxes at lvl 26 or something like a feral druid (for example).

The meta classes are obviously always going to be timing higher keys than the lower end - doesn’t mean that they’re doing “easier” content or “better” players - as i’m sure the top players in those roles would be rated higher with better class performance. :100:

It would still take that .01% or whatever of that specific class/spec/role whatever.

The gameplay this would encourage is bizarre to think about. You would need a carry group that you know you would hold back in IO to carry you to your maximum potential. Spec-based rating makes sense for solo shuffle titles (where it’s every person for themselves) but not for M+.

1 Like

Maybe class-based, but not spec based.
Maybe even role based. .1% of all tanks, .1% of all healers, .1% of all dps.

Seems like it may be more productive to just balance specs such that such canyon-like gaps in performance aren’t present. There will always be a set of meta specs yes, but margin of extra potential they offer over non-meta specs need not be so extreme.

1 Like

Nothing based. It’s just such a nasty can of worms. The whole system becomes trying to get meta to carry you if you’re off-meta. PUG keys suddenly involve people deliberately playing trash hoping for a carry to higher IO etc.

It’s just too weird.

Edit: I could see role-based. Not class-based or spec-based though.

Totally off-topic, but…

I read the OP’s name and got all excited. Then I entered the thread and read their posts and realized it’s probably not who I thought it was. It was like a SLAP in the FACE.

Lol, I can see that. What about

Completely separate from class/spec. I mean either way, it wouldn’t impact me. I am no where near that level.

You edited your post, I edited my post. I could see role-based.