Spec balance is beyond broken

He is correct that you shouldn’t sim Dungeon Slice for mage though. Very few specs have APLs developed to accommodate that fight type.

That’s nice to know. Still doesn’t have any bearing on this thread. And no one seems to have an actual answer why balancing issues are so bad in this game, and last entire seasons.

I’d also recommend wowhead. Icy veins currently recommends you use comet storm in mythic+ as frost, doesn’t mention shattering your tier set at all, and tells you trading focus magic is optimal (hint: it hasn’t been since late CN).

Do you have 4 set on your monk and mage? The statement you posted is for fully geared characters and certainly true to an extent, but not for a 20 ilvl difference.

Yes I posted in OP that both have 4 piece. I use both sites, and my brain.

Hectic add cleave just tested. Monk sims 1.5k over Mage. Mage is Vent right now though so maybe a tad behind on that one. Monk ilvl 259, Mage 277.

Seem right to you?

I mean mage is still a strong M+ class. All 3 specs are decently strong at varying key levels/affix combos. Mage was the best class in the game for 3 seasons straight, so while it’s not great to not be the best, we’re still very competitive unless you’re pushing the very tippy-top end.

As for guides I would recommend the Google Docs linked in the Alter Time Discord, written by Toegrinder. They are far better and more frequently updated.

Anyways I just don’t agree your monk should do more damage. Frost is not the best spec the lower the key goes, it performs quite poorly even at a 15 or below range with the meta build.

Sim patchwerk, 5 targets, 1.5 mins. Hectic add cleave is also not recommended. Patchwerk is generally the only one maintained.

Solid choice for single target. Depending on your key level I’d highly recommend freezing winds nightfae as it is the best option behind necrolord (and there are a lot of times necrolord isn’t the play for the majority) it has decent single target, very good cleave and decent aoe. Necro does come out ahead but really only at high key levels.

lol. You want your mind blown? Mine is. Monk simmed at 45k with 5 patchwerk targets on 1.5 mins. Mage simmed at 35k!!! WTF is this!!!

You still playing venthyr? What legendary? Give me a sec, I’ll sim myself as necro vs nf same situation.

Yea, well I’m at work so I can’t switch, but I’m using Freezing Winds due to the use in both AOE and single target. I don’t run Necro on the Mage. It’s way too long of a CD without running with a dedicated group. If it sims higher, that’s nice, but in the real world it’s trash. Better for raiding I guess.

Simmed single target on both. 11.8k on Monk. 13.6k on Mage. With Vent ability too. 18lvl higher. This matches my experience.

I just simmed the same parameters as your monk. I’m 278.

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/f7HyoMTy8cX5t94oNrbidi

just goes to show: they have’nt been paying attention to us monks. first mw did’nt get attention, now this.

Yeah as much as people tend to nag the WoW playerbase as a toxic example the WoW playerbase has nothing on what I’d consider the toxic epicenter that is the LoL playerbase and even the CoD player to an extent.

Cold front
https ://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/tHZbeCWLn9HkDeiNJk8Exb
Slick ice
http s://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/fsmVvf1fkzFxL8aenJ8eBV
Freezing winds
https ://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/v1MRTU1sGjnNj3ArXPMKzd

I’m not high enough trust level to actually link apparently. Worth mentioning that freezing winds has very good sustained dps. Performs far better than the other options below a 22.

I see the issue being that they didn’t continue to add more affixes to higher level keys creating a situation where certain tanks and healers can still easily do the content while DPS requirements continued to increase.

In my opinion by M+21 tanks should get deleted if more than one elite is hitting them, M+26 should be nearly impossible to complete, and never able to be timed.

That is not the case. The higher you go the harder it gets on tanks and healers. Sure you need more DPS but the way you get that is by pulling harder (ie more mobs or onto bosses) which puts strain on your tank and healer. It is definitely quite difficult to play tanks and healers at a high level in mythic+.

1 Like

So switching the leggo may make a difference but going Necro is a no go in pugs. The CD is way too long and you don’t know what people are going to do for pulls so you can’t line anything up. I can certainly run the other leggo and try that. From what I researched these were really close to each other, like within 1-3%. What you simmed is not 1-3% so I wonder what happened. Can you tell me your secondaries? Are you running 30% haste for FB spam? Not sure I can get there with the gear I have gotten in S3.

That doesn’t sound hard, that sounds like it is easy, just hasty.

In previous iterations of the game pulling like that definitely would have been a wipe unless you had the gear from a higher tier.

That zero crowd control seems to be required leads me to the opinion that the content is too easy.

Part of it is that when you do something 1000 times over it’s going to get easier just by the nature of humans being smart and finding all the weakest spots. Same reason more than 1 guild is going to kill heroic LK in Classic Wrath before the 10% buff in ICC is applied. It’s just how this goes.

Have you ever stepped foot into a highish key? you might be surprised with how hard things hit for lmao

2 Likes

Even so, I think back to Scholomance and Upper and can’t recall/imagine doing these kind of regular pulls before my tank had full Wrath (tier 2).

Trash mobs were a lot harder at one point.

And then in TBC where they first introduced hard mode, I recall needing to take 3 hours to complete just one dungeon because every pull was a potential raid boss fight in difficulty.

1 Like