SPAM that can't be reported in game

I can’t report a player through the chat interface because of how they’re spamming me. Every hour or so, I get a message from a player named Nathelek, or NathelekNathelek, to join a chat channel called wwwMYWOWGOLDcom (followed by a bunch of random characters). it’s very annoying, please address this. because of how they’re spamming me, I can’t click on their name to report them.

It’s incredibly annoying that your support site doesn’t allow any kind of player reporting. Address this too please.

5 Likes

They can be reported, it just takes an extra step of messaging them back so that you can report them for spam.

Blizz is aware of the spam too and are working on a solution to make it easier to report these messages.

Here’s a link to a thread from CS:

3 Likes

step one go into interface and hunt down the option to block channel invites (social I think?), next when you get said messages you can still right click the grey text in your chat box to report them.

7 Likes

As of yesterday, I suddenly began having this issue.

But if you go to your Social tab and select ‘ignore channel invites’, it’ll automatically ignore them.

You’ll have to whisper someone for a party invite, or they have to search you, but otherwise it’ll at least eliminate the spam for now.

Options. Block chat invites. Now you can click their name because you still see a message in chat that you were invited. Right click report. /ignore.
No longer a problem. Well. Not really but you will have done all you can do to help and not be as annoyed. Hopefully. Lol.

1 Like

Negative. This has nothing to do with whispers. This is an invite to a custom chat channel.

My man, read the whole thing.

All it does is stop the popup. You still see the channel invite in chat. Which makes their name clickable for reporting.

3 Likes

I <3 you. thanks for the tip.

Edit: still can’t report from grey text but w/e, blocking channel invites is enough for now.

1 Like

Welcome :grinning:

Wierd.

If I get a channel invite then in the chat window grey text shows ‘somename invited you to channel xxx’

I can right click ‘somename’ and report as spam. Should work for you too.

But option to decline all channel invites is just as good.

2 Likes

i believe i have been reporting these ‘invite to gold seller channel’ spammers with right click in the chat box? u sure it doesnt work?

1 Like

Its too bad we have to do that , I like to have the functionality of the game pristine

Out of curiosity are you using any sort of chat addon? It is 100% right clickable in the default UI.

I had this happen the other day, im pretty sure i was able to right click their name in my chat panel.

It came across as blahblah invited you to imalamegoldsellercom, all in yellow.

I right clicked the name and reported.

1 Like

As of about 2-3 days ago, that I remember, ive been able to right click report these. I have the block custom channel invites enabled too. Not sure if they just added it but works great now. No inv and they get a quick report for gold selling.

I am pretty sure this is the problem if people can’t do this, I use ElvUI and I cannot. I have disabled ElvUI for troubleshooting and when it happens with default UI, you can report.

I used to do the whisper-report trick for weeks. But the spam has only grown worse and worse. And offending accounts don’t tend to get action taken on them in a timely matter anyways.

The dumb thing is that this shouldn’t even exist in the game as a feature in the first place. Adding in chat channel invites was a…less than brilliant idea.

If Blizzard could block all channel invites that have the word gold or any other word with currency in it, it would be gg for the gold sellers.

It’s too bad the game can’t do a lot more for us.

I hope someday we have truly “intelligent” computers. Then it will be like Blizzard having millions of GMs, monitoring everything for you.

But I’m not holding my breath.