Someone please give advice - about to quit

So my friend and I started this game yesterday and we are both now level 20 - We have no idea where to go, what to do, who to do it to. We are getting absolutely CLOBBERED by MOB’s - especially when we queue (I am tank, he is healer) - Like we are getting 1shotted frequently.

Should it be this difficult to kill MOB’s?

RETAIL, not Classic

(edit for clarity: This is the toon I made while I was waiting for Dragonflight to approve, so not this toon. Not sure how to switch)

It depends on which version of the game.

In retail you can go to Chromie, and essentially pick a version of the game to level in, things will scale to you, meaning you have less retail space you need to use to get to max level.

Ultimately there likely will be levelling guides for both in places like Wowhead or IcyVeins, or even guide videos on youtube.

In Classic, it’s dependant on the map, but if you open the map, and look, it will advise what levels are relevant. Usually the quests do lead from one zone to the next.

Level 20 in retail will be completely different then that of Classic.

Either way there should be levelling guides on wowhead, icyveins, or guide videos on youtube.

2 Likes

I added I am talking about retail, sorry for the confusion.

We did Chromie and got absolutely destroyed. I mean like pull and death in under 2 seconds.

You can also ask class forums for help too.

Wowhead has excellent leveling guides for each class and respective specs that cover things like gear, talent tree choices, spell/attack rotations etc.

1 Like

Where are u questing some zones are higher lvl then others.

2 Likes

If you are running dungeons as a pair, they are content for 5 man groups.

The two of you can group together and use the dungeon finder on your mini-map to queue for a dungeon and the game will fill in the other players as they use the dungeon finder.

4 Likes

Dungeons are less forgiving than open world questing. If you’re leveling in retail, following the bread crumb quests from zone to zone and you should be fine. Don’t forget to equip any upgraded gear you may get as quest rewards.

2 Likes

Thats why i asked they couldve done BC and went strait to SMV.

You can hit M to pull up the map and then right-click if necessary to zoom out to the continent level. Hovering over a zone will show you the level scaling range for the zone.
As Darkwraith noted, some zones expect you to be level 30 or higher to level in them.

2 Likes

It depends on where you are. If you’re getting killed two seconds into a fight over and over, then it sounds like you’ve probably ended up in too high-level of a zone. Level 20 in retail shouldn’t be having too much trouble in level-appropriate zones, especially with two players working together, unless you’re pulling more than one to three mobs at a time.

I’m wondering if Chromie time may not be functioning properly, in this case. I’m also surprised you’re able to access it, since I thought new players had to level 1-60 once before they could unlock it. Chromie Time was modified with prepatch, however, so maybe either the rules have changed, and new players can now use it either way, or you still can’t, and it won’t activate, but it’s incorrectly allowing you to select it so that you think you’re in Chromie Time when you aren’t.

What races are your characters? Have you tried going to the original starting zones and following the introductory questlines there? Since you’re now level 20, they will start out too low-level for you, but they should help guide you to level-appropriate places over time. I’m assuming you started in Exile’s Reach – do correct me if I’m wrong.

I hate to say this, in case wanting to tank and heal is a big thing for you two, but if you’re new to the game then I highly recommend playing as DPS in dungeons for a while until you’re more experienced.

4 Likes

Sorry, i was wrong. I thought Chromie time was like some WoW specific name for when we queue, I didn’t realize Chromie is an NPC.

Thank you to everyone helping us out here.

To add to my OP, we have had quite a few people in queues talking about recent scaling adjustment and that it is TOTALLY out of whack and there are a lot of complaints. Maybe this is the reason?

We took a few hour break and are headed back in. I would love to find a guild in game but no idea how to. This game has been out so long that I am sure the number of brand new people is minimal, so I doubt they spend a lot of time streamlining it. We loved everything we saw so far, we just are constantly hitting a wall. More deaths than MOB’s killed last few hours.

Ok Ok, no more complaining. It must be us, just need to figure out why.

1 Like

There is actually a New Player Forum that has some helpful veterans to answer a lot of questions. There is even a sticky near the top where people can list their New Player friendly guilds.

6 Likes

It’s all good! For future reference, the version of Chromie who sits on an hourglass in your faction’s capitol city can send you into Chromie Time, which is a way of locking your character (you can turn it off by going back to Chromie) into a specific expansion’s ‘time,’ thus allowing you to quest all the way from level 10 (I think) to 60 in one expansion’s content for a more cohesive storyline experience. It’s neat, but you’ll have to level up to 60 on at least one character before you can access it, as far as I’m aware.

There is an in-game guild-finder tool, which is accessible through a pane that you can open with one of the small buttons along the bottom right of the screen under your bags (I would be more specific, but I’m not in-game at the moment and am still trying to memorize the new UI). However, I’ve heard lately that it’s a bit buggy and there have been issues with guilds not being able to see or accept applications. It still might be worth a shot.

Depending on your realm, there might be guilds that post recruitment threads on your official realm forum. If you go to the main page of the WoW forums, there’s a big list of realm forums down at the bottom. The realms you have characters on might be handily set aside for you at the top of the list under “Your Realms”; I’m not sure how long that takes to kick in.

You could also try asking in /General chat if there are any guild recruiters around who could field some questions from a new player. You’ll probably have the best luck if you do this while you’re in a highly populated zone like Stormwind or Orgrimmar.

That might be the issue, or at least a part of the issue. I haven’t tried to start a new character (except an Evoker, which is a different situation since they start at a high level) since the prepatch, so I haven’t seen for myself.

2 Likes

I’d also suggest, that as a new player, that you use the standard/recommended talent trees rather than picking your own talents.

Hit N to bring up your talents, then use the drop=down in the lower left corner to choose the recommended ones.

For most classes/specs, the recommended ones are decent and will get you effective. You can get into customizations after you play for a while.

Mobs currently seem to be a bit tougher and take a bit longer to kill, but they are not unbeatable if you have the proper stats on your gear which you should get anyway from leveling drops.

Your tank should concentrate on their threat generation and keep the mobs beating on him. I’d advise the healer not to do damage but to just concentrate on keeping the tank alive. Don’t look for the big damage numbers at first. As a pair, work to wear the mobs down rather than killing them fast.

5 Likes

Check out that handy forum.

1 Like

the adventure guide (located on your micro menu) will let you know where to go/what to do

if you’re still stuck, there are always people here to give you some direction

Mainly because they updated Battle for Azeroth to be scaled up to 60 to serve as the “new” full leveling experience to lead into Dragonflight.

Who to do it to? Well you simply go up to a girl and ask her: hey can I do it to you. If she says yes then you are good. :man_facepalming: dude learn how to text sentences that make sense.

If you are planning to level up from level 20 you need the full version of WoW , if you have the starter edition there is restrictions.
Make sure you have a subscription to WoW
If you are looking for on to play WOW go here https://www.wowhead.com/
If you are planning to quit your subscription go to your account and click on cancel subscription the subscription is valid until the end of the month so you will have to wait until then.

Hi Bassacia! I run a community on discord based around helping people out with all sorts of things, Everything from gearing, dungeons, cobalt ring farming etc… We even offer guidance via in game/screen shares and what not

if you and your friend would like to join us please add my discord handle
Xaniene#9483

1 Like