Solution for DPS intentionally failing mechanics in order to do more DPS

As some of you know, DPS players enjoy maximizing their damage output and often times stand in a damaging raid mechanic on purpose because they want to continue their steady stream of dps.

In order to mitigate this situation, damaging raid mechanics could also give players a stack of a debuff which decreases their damage for a certain amount of time stacking up to a certain amount of stacks. This will for sure guarantee that high dps individuals never get hit by raid mechanics.

Other aspects of fights would have to be balanced to make up for this since it is doubly taxing, but it shouldn’t be difficult to balance.

16 Likes

Have you actually raided with people before by chance? Like, not in LFR? Because I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying is true, speaking as someone who has raided across pretty much all difficulty levels at various points in the game’s history. The only time I’ve seen anybody deliberately stand in something that is typically avoided, is if they have some form of mitigation or immunity. As a DK, I soak magic effects all the time with AMS because A. I am immune to many of them, and B. It is literally a DPS increase because it gives me resources.

But people don’t just ignore mechanics like you make it sound.

26 Likes

The solution is kicking them out of the group! Bye, Felicia! They can get their juicy 71 parses somewhere else.

11 Likes

Have you? People getting sloppy on mechanics and tunneling is really common. That’s why there’s a term for it.

2 Likes

OP didn’t say “getting sloppy on mechanics and tunneling”, they said “intentionally failing mechanics”.

13 Likes

You can’t accidentally tunnel. It’s a choice.

2 Likes

Having raid healed a lot in the past, i’d never begrudge a DPS staying in something bad for half a second to finish their cast or whatever (so long as it isn’t something that’ll nearly kill them). Healing through stuff like that is the healers job, if everyone avoided everything at all times, healers would only be needed for tanks and a bit of overall raid damage.

Having said all of that, i only ever raided at normal-heroic levels, things could be different at the pointy end of the stick.

8 Likes

Yes you can. Not noticing something in time or not reacting quickly enough to something is one form of “accidental” tunneling. Not being observant is not the same as deliberately failing. You’re reading into something the OP straight up didn’t say.

10 Likes

Ban players for using damage meters?

8 Likes

That’s if you don’t know the fight. If you know the fight and you’re not doing mechanics you’re choosing not to do mechanics.

2 Likes

Again, reading into something the OP outright never said.

3 Likes

Yup, of course. People in mythic raids still care about their logs just as much as people in LFR.

In other words, you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

3 Likes

People stand in LFR mechanics because a lot of the time they just tickle. Xy’mox’s rings are a good indicator of this. They do like 5% of my health.

I don’t know any Normal+ raiders who purposely stand in mechanics unless it’s because they need to for dps. (For instance, a Monk who uses Touch of Karma. To maximize their dps, they literally have to stand in something every 2 minutes [I think that’s the cooldown at least]) I know there’s been a few other cases like this in the past. I vaguely remember one being present on Warlock at one point. (Though I think that was removed)

This would just be punishing to people who make a simple mistake. On top of this, it punishes guilds who have things on farm and have their top dps tunnel because the healers are fine healing through it.

2 Likes

I agree there are a lot of mechanics/affixes/etc that healers end up having to “adjust” for.

Like when corruptions came along who ended up being responsible for DPS who took on too much corruption? Healers.

If the punishment for purposely messing up a mechanic wasn’t “Now the healer has to heal extra” but “Now your personal DPS is lower” I think people would get a lot more considerate.

2 Likes

In lfr this is true, dps would use all their cooldowns and burst first 20 seconds of the fight then jump to theirs deaths. This makes their dps stay high on the meters preventing them from getting kicked as players in lfr do not understand the difference between damage done vs dps

In normal+ , you obviously can’t get away with this.

Ah Thalia I was expecting you to contribute nothing to the discussion as per usual.

Welcome back.

3 Likes

You’ve never heard of people doing such things in order to get high ranking parses?

Not without permission from their guild’s healers.

Any competent raid leader would kick a DPS who is doing it without permission, or give them a warning to stop or they will be kicked.

3 Likes

Are you still using Recount/Skada? Cause Details definitely lowers your dps as time goes on even if you are dead without DoTs on the target.

1 Like