Solution for DPS intentionally failing mechanics in order to do more DPS

I use details , but that doesn’t stop this madness in lfr . The lfr Slyvanas fight is a good example as well which I just did once and I saw ppl just jumping off the ledge during the intermissions .

I get it guys its suppose to be lfr ,an easy pesy fight, but if you have players saying lets get to 10 stacks, lets put on follow and lets suicide after the pull , its not worth it. Calling out ppl causes unneeded Drama and you basically make yourself attractive to be kicked. It why LFR is a one time deal for me or no deal if I decide to go normal.

THat’s not so much people trying to skirt DPS meters, and more people not wanting to sit through a 10+ minute fight.

Like, I genuinely don’t know what Blizzard was thinking keeping the length in LFR lol. I get they planned it to be long on purpose, but they literally could have cut out the entire bridge section in LFR and nothing would have been lost, no story, nothing. Lol.

3 Likes

Standing in fire makes my deeps git gud - Ion seez so!

or it will ensure that actually bad players only get worse at killing the boss than being afk for 10 wipes before actually pushing a button.

if it happened in the middle of the raid it would be a raid mechanic that not even mythic players would be able to deal with because if a few people got hit the boss would be unkillable before enrage.

putting it in lfr only doesn’t solve the issue of basically adding in mythic levels of requirements for people that just want to go in and see the boss die after a few pulls vs never.

the game play mechanic would then be to wipe, get 5+ stacks. leave the raid. re que and hope you get into one that already has stacks so the boss is actually killable.

or maybe lfr raid becomes mythic prog because 300 wipes with max stacks of debuff and 300 wipes of max stack buff cancel each other out? perhaps the lfr group has to sit around for an hour before pulling the boss. which is already a thing if a single tank decides to leave after one wipe.

Sure. Though i can’t help but feel Blizzard is already aware of this and thus why there’s so much mechanics at all as well make it punishing when you mess up.

At that tier, failing a raid mechanic will pretty often just result in your death and most guilds will kick players that are constantly ignoring them. Being dead tends to lower your DPS.

2 Likes

Meanwhile in final fantasy those mechanics will debuff you or do a stun/knockback so DPS is not incentivized to try doing so because it will lower your damage more to take the hit than to dodge it. Simplicity itself.

An Elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

3 Likes

But…that’s a skill issue!

Hey, that’s the description of the lightsaber in Jedi Knight 3 - Jedi Academy.

A-freaking-men.

No fight, pass or fail, should be longer than 5 minutes.

bad dps are bad dps. Not sure why you’re trying to make excuse for them. Know how you know you have a good dps. They do mechanics while doing dps. And not the hurdur me dps me stand in bad that you find in lfr

1 Like

You have never played a warlock, have you? Eating dmg to do more DPS is part of our core mechanic.

As a dps player who has intentionally stood in mechanics, I have to disagree with you in punishing us. I do however use defensive cooldowns when I do (dark pact ftw). Sometimes it’s what dps players have to do, because of how rng some mechanics are. If we die, that’s on us. And yes we do zero dps when were dead.

#timeplayed

There’s no excuse for having raid boss fights take 15+ minutes, especially when the hardest part is near the tail end of that.

2 Likes

Like the skrillex worm? His puddles lower damage done if you get hit.

Turns out that’s my best fight lol. He’s this tier’s patchwork even with that mechanic.

Also, when did we start assuming nefarious intent when people make mistakes? Is that just a Gen-Z thing or what?

That is what Obiwan calls the lightsaber when he is showing it to Luke on the Millennium Falcon in Episode IV A New Hope (ie the first released movie)

1 Like

No, because parses don’t matter on wipes caused by intentional mechanical failure.

It absolutely does happen and even arguably should happen. If a mechanic only hurts you and your healers aren’t stressed to keep you and/or the raid alive, the DPS is good and it’s wasted DPS avoiding it.

But really most raid mechanics already have extra effects tied into them that makes willingly eating them bad. Like standing in swirls in the shadow phase of Anduin nerfs your DPS or getting hit by a divine star silences you. Skolex constantly pukes out blue swirls around melee where getting hit means you need to run away to get dispelled.

Good DPS though absolutely get a feel for what just hurts and what needs to be taken seriously. My DH guildie regularly eats a ton of avoidable damage but lives through it most of the time because DH self healing is insane. Like for instance, he’ll rarely hide from the giant drills in DOS when they do their 4 hit pulse attack because unless it is fortified and something nasty like grievious, his massive meta + leech heals meaning he’ll be hurt but hurt <> dead and I’m not needing any heals in this exact moment so the healer can patch him back up after.

On my WW monk, I too look for mechanics to use Karma on. In SD I’ll pop AMS on this DK and ride out chains or AMZ if I want me and the melee to try and finish off stuff because we have a jar active or something. Point being is that good DPS learn how to avoid as much damage as possible, but great DPS knows what can be survived safely and can read the room/situation and make those snap judgement calls to squeeze out more DPS.

Honestly I think that the Sylvanas fight should have been split into two fights. One covering phase 1 and the bridge and another covering her last phase. The fight is just too exhausting as it currently is. When my guild was progging her it was difficult to get more than four good pulls on her in one raid night due to both the length and our players getting tired and sloppy after that many pulls.

I have healed yo to CE and almost cutting edge level raids and it’s so refreshing to see other healers with the same mindset at lower raid levels too. Usually all I see on here is healers complaining about having to do things.

It’s literally our job to do what the group needs to kill bosses. If healing a mage while they finish thier combust is what helps the raid most then we should be happy to do it!

Obviously it’s extremely situational but there are times where I want my players to greed casts as long as they don’t die and tbh they have to experiment and see what will kill them and what won’t. Its all part of progression

That being said I have also had dps literally say “sorry avel” as they stand in frontal in high keys to finish casting and get killed. Lol like what did you want me to do about it? Haha he died in like 1 second flat. No need to apologise to me. You dying there is strictly a you thing lol

Again it’s about finding situations where you can and situations where you can’t. In a surprise to absolutely no body 24 mists of fortified standing in the frontal from 2 of the spear staby guys is not one that an arcane mage could live through lmao.

No it is when he shows Luke the lightsaber and tells him about his father and Darth Vader ( pre finding out they are one and the same in Empire) when they are in Obi Wan’s cave/home.