Solo players for heaven's sake

What is competitive solo content? Competition implies the existence of other people with whom you can compare yourself to. Solo play, definitionally, lacks this.

“social achievements” in a multiplayer game…

I think they mean lack of challenging solo content, it is one of WoW’s biggest weaknesses.

Probably because solo content has to be trivial

Or have an insanely high work load to make it work…so high it’s not realistic

My experience with guilds has been like blind dating, only you find yourself in the restaurant and your date is terrible and rude and your only solution is to leave in the middle of it before they get us both arrested.

I’ve had far better luck with communities. There are communities like Dungeon Dojo or WowMadeEasy aimed at helping people get through content that do not put up with toxicity and run regular raiding and M+ groups.

I got the harness running with a community.

You do not need a guild. If you find a good guild that meshes with your playstyle, great! I’ve not. But communities are an acceptable substitute with far less pressure to put up with jerks and drama.

And as others have said, you can also create your own group and set the boundaries. It will take longer to complete, but worth the work in my experience.

Blizzard just needs to do what they always should of done. Combine servers then delete. Once there is nothing but medium to max pop servers they should delete cross server anything.

Solves tons of issues.

Think a better focus for solo content is in relatively non-challenging content.

Long questlines that serve to take you to multiple locations with a lot of lore-expanding dialogue is the best way to develop solo content.

This isn’t challenging, but it takes time and immerses you into the world. That’s good solo content.

Beyond that, generally, the whole point of wow has been to group up to conquer tough foes. Teamwork in an MMORPG is fundamental for challenging content.

Mage tower’s a great exception, and I do hope we get more like it (maybe delves will suit that niche), but the bulk of developer time committed to challenging content should be focus on groups.

And creates a bunch.

Like what exactly?

Issue one, off the top of my head. There are 33 people named “Qubert”

1 Like

This. Getting over fomo and all the other stuff people lose their minds over is quite liberating, really.

“Tell me who gets the family “qubert” when two servers looose heeeeaaaart”

1 Like

MSORPG? Massively solo online roleplaying game?

1 Like

I don’t see how it matters, poor excuse to avoid improving the game. Plus many of those Qubert’s are me

“Are you lonely?”

“WHAT?! NO! I’M MASSIVELY SOLO”

1 Like

Homie IDC

I just don’t think this is as big a weakness as people make it out to be. I’m curious what the completion rate of the current Mage Tower is among the solo-playerbase, because I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s pretty low.

I just don’t think that your average solo-player really wants challenging content, I think what their looking for is content that gives them the illusion of challenge, but has a very low failure rate.

Maybe delves are that thing, but I’m going to also be the highest difficulty delve levels aren’t going to be completed en masse by solo-players, but instead by people who already enjoy doing difficult content in the game.

Being multiplayer does not mean you have to do group content. Group content is just the best way to showcase the multiplayer aspect of a game. ReMix could have been a chance for Blizzard to test LFR that includes normal raids.

As a person that has played a lot solo, solo players need to have the reasonable expectation that there will be rewards you can only get doing group play. Doing a harder level of content outside of what we can automatically group for. That is the con to solo play, the lack of community when you want/ need it for content.

1 Like

Maybe, but world content is insultingly easy. I don’t know why MMOs keep trending this direction. Most gamers like a moderate challenge.

Mage tower is a bad example. You’re cherry-picking one piece of instanced content, that was kind of boring and heavily class dependent.

I think most solo players just want some non-instanced content that provides a moderate challenge again.

Vanilla and TBC had stuff like this, but in Wrath the game started trending towards making all non-instanced content just way too easy.

The question really is, how do you define moderate challenge? Player skill varies so wildly that what you or I may consider ‘moderate difficulty’ another player could view as completely insurmountable. I had a previous partner try WoW, someone who has played video games in the past, be completely brick walled by quests while leveling, while that same quest is one that I had not even given the remotest bit of thought about.

So maybe the world is actually filled with ‘moderately difficult’ content, but we’re not players that fall within the bounds for whom that applies to.

I think there are quite a lot of examples where Blizzard has introduced ‘moderately challenging’ content in to the game and players were completely unable to do it. Silver Proving Grounds in WoD really come to mind when I think of something like this.