SoD Experiment - Disable DPS meters and Logging

DPS meters and logging are extremely useful tools that allow you to identify areas of improvement for both the entire group and for individuals. When used correctly they can be a way for a raid team to elevate their level of play and drive success, encouraging the group to be better in measurable ways.

Unfortunately, they are seldom used this way. Instead they are often taken to extremes and used to exclude players from activities because they are not labeled as the best and they encourage gameplay that can be detrimental the the group. WoW has always had a bit of a toxic culture surrounding DPS meters and this has seemingly amplified as Classic progresses.

It might be interesting to see what happens in an SoD season where it takes on a policy similar to FFXIV where DPS meters and logging are against the ToS. Players will absolutely find ways around this, you can still log in FFXIV, but similarly you are not permitted to discuss it in-game. Again, some players will find ways around this but the majority tend to take the path of least resistance.

Will this be better for WoW specifically? I dunno, it would be intersting to find out.

I will now step back while the rest of you flame me for my audacity :wink:

20 Likes

could be interesting/hell if add-ons got turned off for a phase sure

7 Likes

If they didn’t add in the new UI editor from Retail in conjunction that would be a hard pass for me. I hate the stock UI and can’t play with it.

5 Likes

exclude players from activities

People are not entitled to be carried. You are not entitled to run with any group who is looking for more. Imo people who hate logs are either bad at their class or are lazy and want to be carried.

8 Likes

For clarity, I’m currently only proposing a temporary disabling of the WoW API functionality that is used to faciliate capturing combat events. For example, see here: https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Events/Combat

I think disabling all addons could be very interesting to be sure (or hell, lol), but that’s not within the scope of what I’m proposing. Not that you shouldn’t talk about it or discuss it here, I just wanted to be clear that I’m not considering event logging and addons in general to be in the same category here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No.

3 Likes

AI written posts make you sound like you need way more fibre in your diet.

4 Likes

Honestly if they decided to remove certain addons, they should just remove all addons. Keep it simple so there is no gray area about whats allowed and whats not.

100% I agree with remove all addons. This version of WoW was supposed to be just about having fun…addons arnt needed for that.

3 Likes

Perhaps instead of trying to figure out ways to force people to carry you thru content so you can get welfare epics, you should instead find like minded people who like to raid the way you do, and join with them to raid weekly.

9 Likes

Questie should be the 1 exception… i mean come on

1 Like

I’ll definitely quit this game if I can’t try for parsing/topping the meters.

I’ll stop you there. It’s an MMO — I can play with (or not play with) whoever I want, for whatever reason. If someone’s performance doesn’t align with my minimum expectations, that’s a perfectly acceptable reason for me to avoid that player. Likewise, if my focus on performance is off-putting to others, that’s a perfectly acceptable reason for them not to play with me.

WoW (and, in fact, every video game ever) has always been more “rewarding” for sweatier players who invest more time. Not everyone gets full, smooth, consistent clears and BiS gear as a participation trophy. I think it’s equally as “toxic” to underperform and expect the same social and gear benefits as someone who does perform

4 Likes

I’ll just judge you on your gear then.

Any way you want to look at it, if you’re terrible, you aren’t getting invited.

There will always be a way to weed out the grey parsers.

Just play with like minded people instead of crying about stuff like this.

2 Likes

Im not against logging or parsing personal data for my own use but Ill never be convinced that having my performance data broadcast and collectible by any other player should ever be allowed without my consent.

Nah, Blizz could absolutely make it impossible to “weed out the grey parsers” before actually playing with them. They wont but they sure as heck could.

no.

i , like many , enjoy my addons and meters and all of that.

because youre salty about not getting in a group or whatever doesnt mean you should be able to force your crap on everyone else .

stop it.

1 Like

I can inspect your gear.

Also, they would never do that because it’s effin stupid.

Yes, turning off inspect is one of the things they would need to do. Like I said, they wont do the things necessary but yes, they really could.

yes lets “solve” the problem by hiding it completely and not actually do anything!

sure seems how some people think .

sad.

There’s no logical reason to turn anything off.

This whole thread is idiotic.

3 Likes