So what's the deal with this lore?

So there’s only 5 afterlives to go to? So all the stuff about Tauren going to some ancestral plane, light worshipers becoming one with the light and Orcs going to Nagrand ect ect is all just not a thing anymore? You only go to one of 4 very weird and pointless afterlives?

Also, what’s being implied to happen to things we kill in the shadowlands? are they being recycled and damned to the maw or are the things we kill in the shadowlands going to complete nothingness? What’s the point of an afterlife and being an immortal soul if you can still die in the same ways in your life?

There are apparently an infinite number of afterlives but those are the big ones.

13 Likes

More specifically, they “rule” the Shadowlands. They’re like the noble houses, presumably.

3 Likes

Bruh does nobody listen or read the cinematic texts anymore lol the afterlives are infinite, the Shadowlands are just governed by the Pantheon of Death aka The Eternals

Bastion/Kyrians are the psychopomps, Ardenweald is the Wild God resurrection machine (returning Life back to reality), Maldraxxus is the defender of the Shadowlands and birthplace of necromancy, Revendreth is the Last Chance Purgatory, the Maw is Hell-Tartarus-Gehenna, and Oribos is the phone line operator and the Judge and Jury.

17 Likes

Yeah, this. Hopefully we see more of the shadowlands in future patches and expansions but Blizzard seemd avoidant to evergreen content and doesn’t consistently or coherently revisit past content.

The real answer is that Blizzard doesn’t write stories for the Horde that don’t involve them being a nemesis for the Alliance to defeat. So, no Horde afterlives.

1 Like

I didn’t realize Maldraxxus and Revandreth were supposed to be Alliance afterlives. My mistake.

5 Likes

They imply there will be other realms popping up in the future. Think Broken Shore or Nazjatar. Just probably some other place Slyvanas or the Jailer try to mess things up in.

I don’t know if there are literally infinite realms, I think that is just a hyperbole from the interviews. I don’t see how there can be infinite realms if there are finite beings. And how many beings get turned into Maldraxxus sludge. Why would the Ariber make a unique realm for a special case? Just turn em into anima. Why do they need an afterlife if they don’t fit in the system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqz53d-fYL8

Yes, it was.

2 Likes

So you’re saying that the Arbiter is Pharasma? :slight_smile:

She’s a robot.

There’s a whole cinematic when you get to Oboboboso, explaining it. Infinite afterlife realms. Presumably the four we’re visiting are important because the stuff with the Jailer has affected them the most.

2 Likes

All of the Dead even the ones going to those infinite unnamed Shadowlands are being directed to the Maw. so you’re going to be saving the Tauren Happy Hunting Ground even if you aren’t going there.

2 Likes

While that’s absolutely true, it’s less rewarding when we do go to the Night Elven Night Fae Night Ardenweald.

1 Like

The Tauren don’t have a Tyrande story to resolve. And it’s not Night Elven, it’s fay. That’s a world of difference.

6 Likes

Ardenweald has one story arc with the night warrior and company presently. Then there is a story arc with Bwonsamdi and co…, and then a plot arc with Huln Highmountain, who is a member of the Wild Hunt.

…It really isn’t all that Alliance heavy when you lay it all out.

8 Likes

But it’s a forest with a purplish filter over it.

So it’s night elf.

1 Like

I wish. their forest is a lot nicer than mine was, and that’s before it got burnt down.

1 Like

It definitely isn’t, but I get the confusion. It looks like every night elf zone, the NPCs look like a cross between night elves and draenie, etc. It has some strong, undeniable nelf asthetics.

But it cannot be a night elf zone, because none of the good guys want to kill me.

Yet. Let’s see how they feel when I start making cooking fires.

6 Likes

It literally plays a night elf theme when Ysera, who bound the entire race to Her realm, is resurrected.