So what exactly are the mods doing?

Just curious. I haven’t been on the forums regularly in a couple years. The content drought, season 4 ick, DF rumors and just general curiosity brought me back to see what the temperature of the community happened to be. The forums are quite different than I remember. As we’ve all already discussed, there’s a lots of click bait and troll posts. Way, way more than I remember there being allowed prior to maybe… 2016 if I had to guess the last time I truly got into forum threads.

So what are the moderators doing? Do we know? Are there actual conscious people taking up the responsibilities of moderator? Are there actual consequences like bans ever being given out? Didn’t mods once upon a time actually verbally interact on the threads and get bold white text to signify their positions? That clearly doesn’t happen any longer.

Enlighten me as to what’s going on here. The mishmash formula for posting seems really hells bells and sparkleshells now. Is it all anarchy and chaos, just don’t type lewd words?

25 Likes

Probably budget management. They asked for higher wages so their counts were decreased to minimize cost.

5 Likes

Cat memes :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

That’s a fair guess. I was just wondering if there was any actual specific progression where they announced they were going to stay off the thread posts and just deal with flagged content behind the scenes to save time/cost/labor/arguments with players.

The mods are all busy over in the community council forums

8 Likes

the community council is the only … changepoint, yes.

Interesting, because as the CC forum posts read, it doesn’t sound like they have moderator controls. The CC members have brought up the problem with troll posting as well. Sooo… if the CC can’t moderate, and the moderators aren’t moderating. We essentially have no one?

6 Likes

I liked the old forums way better. Where we had likes and dislikes. Could have our own custom quotes put in. Where more blues would actually post on GD and other threads and not just on CS/TS threads. Where we didnt have the ability to have posters who could like their own posts by logging into 30+ alts to give dozens of likes to a post they made.

And where we had MVPs posting here a lot more often and not the Community Council who all think they are so much better than the rest of us.
We used to have a way better forum setup. And Blizz used to actively move way off topic threads here in GD over to the off topic threads or delete them. Now they just allow you to go off topic and derail any thread you chose.

Not good forums anymore. Also, we should only have the option to post on one toon only here on these forums. Not these people who keep posting with dozens of toons in a thread they make pretending to be different people and then using those alts to like their own stuff and then troll an entire thread with an army of alts. See like one or two blues here a month, if that. And usually to make an announcement that everyone hates, then they go away.

19 Likes

Yes, there are literally zero moderators. Go wild and make whatever thread you like.

7 Likes

I gotta say, from what I remember I definitely liked the old set up better. I didn’t really get into the like or dislike buttons, because like anything, it could turn into a p$$ing contest real fast. But I do remember Blizz blues being way more active.

Although I do remember the Blues getting into arguments with players which was one of the reason they took a passive role and then just let third party moderators deal with the posts and potential conflicts. From a business standpoint, it was a wise choice. Bickering with your player audience eventually will lead to unnecessary headaches and potential negative PR.

MVPs were their own beast sometimes. They could get uppity with the player base, but most were very friendly, knowledgeable and looking to help. I’m just getting introduced to the Community Council thing. Seeing bickering on their posts as well, which isn’t exactly filling me with confidence in what exactly their role entails.

Everything definitely seems vastly different. Not loving it, not hating it. Just kinda shocked at the nonsensical content they let fly now.

2 Likes

We really don’t know. All we know is we flag these troll and bait threads and they keep getting restored. Clearly there’s corruption IMO.

15 Likes

Citation needed

1 Like

Define trolling.

If Bob is allowed to discuss apples then Jane should be allowed to discuss oranges.

We can allow all discussion regarding fruit or none of it.
Equality for all is my vote.

Threads that have nothing to do with WoW are being allowed and kept here.

6 Likes

No clue as far as we know theres only one mod called Timmy who lives in his Mother’s basement and gets paid $0.05USD per hour like if it was bots flags would be answered quicker if it was people they’d probably be more effective at recognising that a certain someones post are troll posts

3 Likes

7 Likes

They actually removed the forum dislike button around the exact same time they began allowing logins with Facebook if you think about that. And without dislikes, then likes really have no meaning. Kinda how Youtube also got rid of the dislike button. But lots of us who have channels that post vids can still see the dislikes anyways so I like to post a comment about how many dislikes are on the vid just so everyone knows.

When a horrible video goes up and is aimed at bullying someone, all you see are the 500 likes. You dont see the 10,000 dislikes it got. Then the person who got bullied and targeted in the video thinks that everyone was glad they got bullied. Big tech really only allows speech they agree with. They dont even have the courage to allow an opinion that differs from their own once it gains to much traction.

4 Likes

My guess?

Role has been absorbed into other departments to cut costs.

They say they moderate the forums but I’d doubt its very often since they could bureaucratically justifying having to do not do it manually with the automation and point to the Community Council form as “Look we did our job, see?”

Which in short means they can ignore the unwashed masses…unless mass unsubs can be coordinated. They only care about the buck they make these days so hit em in their profits for change.

4 Likes

Essentially what Sinelius mentioned. The posts that are coming up like best horror movies used to not be allowed to take up space on the server if it wasn’t loosely related to the game. You can discuss apples and oranges. So long as they are the brewfest apples and the oranges that drop in your garrison. Talk about why they do/don’t give buffs. Are they seasonal? Do rams really need fruit to run faster and deliver kegs?

However anything that elicits a reaction (positive or negative) from the player base that isn’t constructively related to the game could be considered a troll.

And again, I’m going off old content memory so mayber there was as much off topic posting in the past. My brain might just be recollecting the forums poorly.

Edit:

You can log in now via Facebook? Wow. I really have been away for a long time.

You can post about LGBTQ stuff all day everyday here and the mods praise you for it. Just don’t make any heterosexual posts or comments and you should be fine.

The pandering is strong ever sense 2019/2020 hit.

16 Likes