So was layering a success?

Barely a month and a 3rd of the servers are 1 layer and the others are 2.

As opposed to 30 more dead servers all built to handle the 2 week bubble.

I still feel caving and release the last set of servers was unnecessary, and they are already dead just over a month in.

4 Likes

were are you getting this information ā€¦we have no way of seeing how many layers there areā€¦but they do need to remove it altogether sooner rather then later

2 Likes

They is a blue post about it that came out todayā€¦

3 Likes

Updated with link to blue post on the first page.

They literally said it in a blue post

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure a small percentage of the community found them to be a resounding success.

It successfully ruined the economy in a way that most servers will probably never really recover, if thatā€™s success.

12 Likes

Iā€™d like to know your definition of dead. Iā€™m on one of the servers that was recently locked to a single layer and this server is FAR from deadā€¦ there is a healthy, active population at any time I log in. Multiple groups forming for all dungeons any time of day (although Iā€™ve not logged in between 1AM and 7 AM), questing zones full of people any time I log in.

6 Likes

removal of layering is not a population thingā€¦ it is about the population in a single zoneā€¦ like goldshireā€¦ when everyone starts together it will overload that zoneā€¦

as far as overall populationā€¦ it is still rising steadily as more people figure out classic is back

2 Likes

Oh nice I didnā€™t even notice that ā€¦ty

I would guess the portion that ISNT on a dead server now that the bubble is mostly passed is indeed happy.

Well considering the xp abuse and resource abuse along with the dungeon bug a few weeks ago Iā€™d say layering has left more scars than good, so no not really.

11 Likes

30 other servers wouldnā€™t be dead by vanilla standards. A low server in classic is a max pop in vanilla.

3 Likes

You know who.

Only inconvenience Iā€™ve faced since the layering launched was the constant ā€˜layer invā€™ spam in chat. I think it was a great tool.

1 Like

The incredibly small number of people who scammed it?

Excluding the other that were proven to be photoshopped and fake?

Like 100 people in a game with likely million(s)?

I thought classic was about catering to average players, not the 0.01%.

2 Likes

I did say a small %, but yes they and possibly by extension their guilds will probably never farm again.

1 Like

you literally cannot judge success, you donā€™t have the information necessary. Itā€™s all about costs/benefit. You donā€™t know what it costs them to run the servers, you donā€™t know how much it cost to implement classic with layers in money and in time, how much it would cost to implement classic without layers in money and in time. Thereā€™s really no way for players to judge this that is meaningful.

Overall and understanding the alternative outcome, yes layering was successful. Blizzard was right. Simply spawning as many servers as needed at launch wouldā€™ve left us with virtually all of them being at very low populations by this time.

I am similarly concerned here. They definitely seemed to have helped the ā€œdonorā€ servers that were being transferred away from into becoming healthy servers. But I worry for those last batch of fresh servers and whether they will be sustainable. But, if it werenā€™t for those last batch of fresh servers, would queues have been so frustrating to result in more cancellations than if they didnā€™t?

Technically, those servers can be condensed down again if need be. But thatā€™d be quite a garbage experience for those players if thatā€™s where that ends up.

Layering succeeded in its goal.

It also caused all the issues we expected it would. Iā€™m just glad itā€™s nearing its end already. Unfortunately, Iā€™m on a big realm, so weā€™re still being kept at 2 layers.

5 Likes