So warrior kiting is not only not possible, it is somehow worse now

Feels like they took the bfa engine and just put a vanilla mod on it.

Not only do enemies not stop a moment before they pursue you as they did in vanilla, their attack range is longer than yours meaning they can still hit you even when you are yards away.

In fact I have found running away (on any class) simply not viable in many cases you can still be attacked from behind even when you have a lead on your enemy farther than a paladin’s judgment spell.

13 Likes

We talking strafe kiting here?

1 Like

Kiting was never a thing unless you had a slow like hamstring, wing clip, frost nova, concussive arrow.

3 Likes

Hamstring kiting is definitely still a thing

I’ve been doing it this entire time. Just need a slower weapon and its fine

this avatar isn’t updated. actually lvl 28, it’s fine

Not to say it doesn’t feel different because it definitely does, but to say it’s “not possible” is wrong. It’s still worth it and effective

2 Likes

Real warriors stand and fight.

Blood and thunder!

17 Likes

You can’t kite by holding down that S key, bubba.

8 Likes

Clearly that is not what I meant as a problem.

enemies have a far longer hitbox than you do, and they do not stop moving for a little bit when you do like in vanilla.

this will also affect tanking negatively as a big part of positioning also required that pause of enemies before they started chasing you.

Are people trolling, or does no one actually read threads?

2 Likes

I have had a tough time with it, too. My ping is 20-27, and mobs seem to have more leeway than I do. As you said, perhaps it’s a hit box issue.

3 Likes

Very true I been questing and lvling with a Shield. So the enemy runs from me.

1 Like

I believe it was like that in classic. It’s ok, adjust. I am assuming you are talking about mobs and not actual players.

Mobs didn’t stop moving before chasing you in Vanilla.
What are you talking about? Did they do that on private servers?

Hope hunters have their kiting skills on point when they get the chance to get Rhok’delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers. Kiting those demons back in Vanilla was the most fun I had.

No, in vanilla, enemies stopped moving when you did for a second or so. This allowed you to bob into and out of enemy hitboxes so you wouldn’t take as much damage as you were waiting for your auto attacks.

this is not possible now, as enemies chase after you immediately just like in bfa.

they did because they would not chase after you until you were a certain range away. now they are stuck to your side, so hamstring does not allow the “dance” that allowed warrior leveling to be bearable.

this makes both tanking and warrior leveling worse.

If you’re so sure of your facts then raise a ticket as you’re alleging this doesn’t fit fit the #nochange mantra … for now, my money’s on Blizzard being right.

your money would be better spent on saying this is intrinsic to the 7.3.5 engine that classic runs on.

1 Like

Sounds to me like the OP is having lag issues, which are either being covered up better with the new client, or were not being covered up by the old client.

In every game since Quake 2, the client makes an attempt to predict the position of things that are moving so it can render the animation smoothly without requiring everyone to have a 5ms ping time to the server. When the server updates the client with the actual position things are at, it has to adjust them in your display to match.

Older games would do this abruptly, making things around you seem to jump or even teleport, and in the case of someone that changed speed or direction compared to you, they might even seem to pause for a brief instant between those updates.

In newer games, the prediction is much better, and the corrections are usually more smooth, making it much more difficult to see the places where packet data got dropped or delayed.

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure would be to compare a scripted combat scenario between the current game and an actual vanilla one, with the same random seed value used, so you’d expect identical results.

But yeah, if you really think it’s a mechanics change rather than a perception change and bad luck, report it and send them combat logs, maybe even a link to a video capture of the part covered by the logs.

2 Likes

This is not an unnoticed problem. Look for the reddit thread on it or comments in the past 2 days on hamstring kiting tutorials from years ago.

hamstring kiting that made warrior leveling bearable is not here anymore. Why? this uses the 7.3.5 engine. enemies act the same way in classic as they do in retail. even the infinite kiting from actual vanilla seems to be (thankfully) gone.

What do you mean by that? I kited a trogg rare from the quarry in Loch Modan to Thelsimar and had the guards kill him for me.

On BfA I can kite while strafing and still hit mobs. On Classic I have to do a 180 degree jump spin while strafing and land back into the strafe to hit the mobs.

The enemies and combat are definitely not the same. I’m also pretty sure it must have been this way in Vanilla because that’s how I originally learned to strafe kite and I still do it in BfA today, even though it’s unnecessary.

1 Like

A lot of this stuff (including /sit abuse) has more to do with not being able to exploit server limitations than anything else. I distinctly remember playing in vanilla and having that very mob behavior you mention coming and going, probably based on latency or something.