So, this new trading post

Its just a battle pass right? Like, i’m not the only one that sees it right?

6 Likes

Yeah I thought the same thing but there is no premium paid version (yet?).

4 Likes

They’re working their way towards it. Diablo 4 is going to have a battlepass.

1 Like

It sounds a lot like something Ubisoft does.

2 Likes

Yup, numbers must be pretty bad. I wouldnt be surprised if wow goes ftp in the near future with a full cash shop. Just a matter of when.

1 Like

WoW is not a free to play game for battle passes to make sense.

10 Likes

The big shop with numerous expensive microtransactions disagrees.

Doesn’t make sense in wow. Triple dip with subs/buy xpac/shop. Scummy practices. They can add as much scummy things as they want in their game and you’d see people defend them. I’m surprised wow has no lootboxes yet.

8 Likes

Or maybe just something fun for players to engage in…

Lol people complain about lack of content in DF and then complain about malicious intent for this new feature.

Pure toxicity…

32 Likes

It’s a battle pass through and through. In its current state it’s completely fine but how long before expanding it to have a premium section?

4 Likes

How long have you played wow? Do you remember the times when Blizz introduced something and the community went “No way blizz would turn on us and monetize this.” then they did just that? The current idea is fine but it’s very easy to monetize it, which historically, if Blizz can monetize it, they will. Players have every right to be worried.

8 Likes

Who cares?

1). They’re a company

2). As long as it doesn’t affect player power

3). It’s fun

17 Likes

Funny i heard that last year.

And the year before that.

I think you get my point. I doubt wow is going F2P any time soon.

As for the op, this smells like a battlepass lite, which im not exactly against per say. As long as there isnt a premium version, and if there is (please dont) hopefully we can buy it using the new currency we get in game.

I like the concept though. It gives me even more to do and be rewarded for, and a chance at old rewards.

I know it will piss off anyone who has it, but if i can get those tasty MoP and WoD challenge mogs, or mage tower, id be so happy!

3 Likes

I agree, but the pattern that we see now is still at least coherent. You buy each expansion, which is the massive update with all the dungeons, raids and zones. You buy the monthly subscription to maintain the servers, moderators, gms, support, etc… And there is a store with a very low number of items, some of them obtainable for free with the 6 months sub, some being just small pets, but everything is in low enough quantity or impact to not harm the rest of the game significantly. I do think the game would be better without it, but it is noticeable that they are very careful to not overdo there.

A battle pass on the other hand would be basically a second subscription, you would still be tipple dipping, but in a way that the store is a lot more significant than now. This would reduce the value of the first subscription significantly making a lot of players leave the game, which is an immense shot in the foot. It is the exact same as doubling the subscription cost, it makes no economic sense.

Actually if they did a battle pass, this would drive away a lot more players compared to just increasing the subscription cost by the battle pass value. People would quit out of principle.

4 Likes

oh boi finally wow could die :smiley:

lets be real though, theyre so greedy you know theyll try to keep the sub AND add the same cashshop :wink:

Notice you didn’t say “never” which means you aren’t new at least lol

I mean, it’s fundamentally different from a few of the normal hallmarks of a battle pass.

For one, the items rotate. they dont stay gone for good so theres much less FOMO involved. which is core to the battlepass model

Two its free, you just log in, get tender, do things to get more tender

Three you choose what to buy, you dont just grind everything on there, its a shop, not a grind pass

And four its a mix of new and old content cosmetics wise, so its not only new stuff they are adding, but older stuff be it mogs or pets that might be hard to get, or complete in MOGs case.

This might actually be good for the game as it probably will provide a good middle ground for non required grind-able content for the “solo” players that have been complaining about nothing to do, with the possibility of some pretty compelling rewards

10 Likes

It’s in game content to give us in game rewards with no way to spend money to speed it up.

In what world is that not, you know, gameplay content and is instead something to be labeled a battle pass?

7 Likes

Is there anything in this trading post for Swarf?

2 Likes

Isn’t our subscription we’ve paid for for over a decade just a battle pass though?

4 Likes

I love how the instant something is announced, people just resort to doomsaying said thing.

6 Likes