So the new Ariel is black right now

I am not against nor in favor of Ariel being race changed. However if Ariel can be changed to black, then Tiana can be changed to white in the live-action remake of “Princess and the Frog”. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness though, will Snow White be played by a black actress if her movie gets remade? :thinking:

9 Likes

I am totally against this, as it is nor only the laziest form of cultural appropriation but is completely degrading to other cultures, as well.
By doing this, Disney is saying the only valid stories are European and the best we can do is rearrange various skin colors? total laziness, among other, nastier , things.
TL:DR Have you no African stories?

21 Likes

TL:DR Have you no African stories?

The Lion King?

8 Likes

Also the West African tales; especially of Kwakwandu Anancsi, the Spider Who Invented the World.
If I told you how I knew of these, you wouldn’t believe me. so I will simply say that, in this 2nd generation of the Information Age, it is easy to research topics.
Go for it!

3 Likes

I tried googling those things on Wikipedia but there are no articles about them. -_-

Where else can I find articles about them?

5 Likes

Can you post me a link of these two stories in Wikipedia or something else?

4 Likes

My bad; I spelled it wrong; ancient memories can do that.
As for a link, go to…

‘Anansi Stories .com’

Have fun and well with life.
(Sorry can’t post actual links)

3 Likes

They can’t change Snow White’s skin because literally her name is based on her skin being as white as snow. Her skin tone is an in-story plot point. For Tiana, her story takes place in New Orleans, which has a high population black people, and her story has some elements of black culture sprinkled in.

Ariel’s story doesn’t change if her actress is of a different race.

8 Likes

‘‘Its ok if we do it to you but not if you do it to us.’’
Typical regressive hypocrisy.
Thank you for proving every point I just made.

11 Likes

It’s not hypocrisy.

By definition, the overculture cannot be appropriated.

Check your ignorance. Stop trolling.

3 Likes

When the definitions of words are crafted and designed to defy logic and principle, thoughts like yours occur.

3 Likes

So, don’t watch the movie?

3 Likes

It’s the way Hollywood is now.

It doesn’t make sense.

Little mermaid
Annie

The broadway Harry Potter character hermione.

And Hollywood is currently 10% down and projected to hit 20% down by the end of the year.

I dunno, I’m sick of the pointed race changing and gender switching that they’re doing now to much loved characters. If a character starts out as whatever race and gender and it works, leave it alone. When you mess with that stuff it alienates the fans. Just look how the ghostbusters remake went.

10 Likes

Sorry, was busy reading more outcry over Scarlett Johansson saying she should be able to play any person, tree, or animal. Because as an actress, thats what they do. Play things that they aren’t.

2 Likes

I’m very disappointed she apologized for what she said. You should have never appease the Twitter mob. Funnily enough, SJ pulled out of a film because of fake outrage and they haven’t even found a replacement.

5 Likes

That’s Hamlet.

1 Like

James Bond is still James Bond. There’s a new 007 because he quit MI6 in Spectre.

3 Likes

Well yeah, but 007 and James Bond go hand in hand. It’s just a creative way to dress up what they’re doing. I’m not a fan at all of that franchise but even I can’t help but face palm at the thought of what they’ve done.

I mean yeah give women strong roles, but let us do it on our own two feet and make it original. This whole trend in Hollywood is condescending and is killing what were once good solid characters.

Female Thor anyone?

Anyway… Hollywood’s sales are way down this year, they might wake up before they hit rock bottom.

3 Likes

Creative dress up? James quit his job. His job replaced him. That’s generally what jobs do. You know James was not the only 007, right? MI6 was founded in 1909 by the Crown. James’ first recorded birthday was 1920. Add 21 to that, when he started working for MI6, that’s 32 years MI6 was in business and that number grows as James’ birthday moves up with each incarnation being more modern. James Bond is not the only 007. Even more so since he quit. They were obviously going to replace him. They replaced M in Spectre. It’s not unbelievable that the numbers get replaced as well.

2 Likes

To be fair…female Thor is a thing and not Hollywood just going rogue.

4 Likes