So the new Ariel is black right now

To be fair I’ve never liked Thor in the first place, it’s cultural appropriation, my culture.

2 Likes

Fem Thor is from the Marvel comics and is being adapted into the movies. Just like all the other characters in the MCU.

OP- So she’s black? it’s not going to make the '89 film or the classic book disappear. Or other adaptations of the book for that matter.

Side note; why aren’t more people hounding DC/WB to get Static Shock a Blu-Ray box set or his own live action movie? WB did, eventually, work something out with ABC to get Adam West’s Batman a box set. Why can’t DC/WB do something similar with Milestone Comics and give Static his due?

I wanted Static Shock on the CW. But we got Black Lightning instead and it’s ok. :confused:

Nope, as a white dude I can only tell you it works in two directions:

From guy to girl = OK.

From “white” to something else = OK.

From something else, or girl, to “White Guy” = political suicide.

The thought is that White people have more than “enough”, somewhat justified by the historical treatment of other peoples. So while Ariel can be black, with no white people picketing about it, things would be VERY different if the Princess Frog lady was white.

There was that “racist” take off though, “Coal black…” , the way they spelled “seven” was also a racist takeoff on the African American accent. I do have the fear that eventually such things will disappear; I feel they are important because they show the way people were, at a particular time in history. Removing them from our society is like not mentioning the holocaust.

3 Likes

I don’t care all that much about what they do with fictional characters. My only problem is how literally every character who is race changed becomes black while other races/ethnic groups never get a chance. Why couldn’t Ariel have been hispanic or asian for example? Asians are the fastest growing demographic in the country and hispanics are a larger demographic than African Americans. Yet neither of us get anywhere near the representation that African Americans do. It kind of seems stupid to crusade for diversity when in reality only one non-white group is getting all of the opportunities.

4 Likes

That wouldn’t work. Hispanics and Asians aren’t part of the Greek culture. Ariel is a descendant of Poseidon. You could get a Hispanic person to play a Greek, but is that really representative for Hispanics if they mistake you for Greek? Aladdin can be Asian as the tales itself traces its origins to East Asia, so you can do the true original. I think Hispanics have their own version of Sleeping Beauty, but I’m not really sure.

1 Like

There you go!
While Thor did become ‘female’ in one folktale(to recover Mjolnr; go read it its funny) this constant appropriation reveals a deeper sadder side of Hollywood.

…and you said it with style!
apparently Blizzard isn’t the only entertainment venue that believes in reskins.

2 Likes

SKÖL, sistyar!

3 Likes

I’m sure the film will make lots of money from little sjws dragging their families in to see it, so they can feel all ‘diverse’ and self-righteous.
What’s next? Reruns of old ‘Mr. Moto’ and ‘Charlie Chan’ films? Certainly you hsave no objection against the White actors portraying the otherwise Asian leads in those classics, right?

Right?

2 Likes

And the movie will be compared to the original '89 film like all the other live action remakes. Only this time certain groups will “REEE” false cry’s of racism at all legitimate criticisms.

Alf, can I call you that? I mean, you chestpiece is close in color to the 80’s sitcom alien. Anyway, I think we’ll have to wait and see how well both Mulan and Shang-Chi perform at the box office for those to get remade with actor’s of the correct race.

For those wondering; Mr. Moto was a Japanese secret agent written by an american and was first played by Peter Lorre in 1937. Charlie Chan was first filmed in 1935, very loosely based off a detective for the Honolulu police.

First: I don’t care how good an actor someone id, if they don’t fit the part. Best example: Tilda Swinton being cast as the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. A WHITE FEMALE taking the role of a TIBETAN MALE? And as a Master of Sorcery? For the record, those positions, of the mystic arts, were reserved for males. NO WAY in any universe was that believable, much less acceptable.
Loved her in the Narnia movies but this one…no.

As for your comments on ‘how movies perform’, you nailed it: its ALL about money. Hollywood does not care who or what or how they distort or insult, as long as they can walk away with a few extra $$$.
You’re right it DOES look like ‘Alf’. Never noticed that lol.
RP gear for a little fun I was having.

Thank you for the detail on Mr. Moto! Charlie Chan was also played, throughout the series of said films, by Warner Oland, who was a SWEDE!

3 Likes

In the original story (which is a Danish fairy tail), Ariel is the daughter of Mer-king. (the sea king). He is actually unnamed, and “Mer-King” is a title.

In the Disney story, she is the daughter of Triton.

The story is not greek.

But there is literally a comic series with a female Thor. This isn’t appropriation by Hollywood. The character was created in 1962. She first used Mjolnir in 1978. In 2014 she had a legit story line. Its Disney using an actual Marvel comic book character. There is zero random gender changing going on to appease a crowd.

Sheesh!

4 Likes

Sheesh yerself,; I was OBVIOUSLY referring to that actual original tales! you know, the ones MY ancestors told around the fires?
Learn to read.

1 Like

So Hollywood appropriated Thor culture…by having Stan Lee…in the 60s. Create a character? When he had no connection to Hollywood?

2 Likes

That story ends with the mermaid dying and becoming sea foam. That’s not the story being told.

2 Likes

OMG the made up half fish woman isn’t historically accurate to the standards you just made up for her!

1 Like

Actually its from an ancient Chinese tale, that made its way West.
It’s been diluted further because Disney.
Nice to see you’re up to your usual standards of witty reparte’ and logical refutating.

So? Its still a danish story. The Little Mermaid is still not based on greek mythology.

Ariel, the Little Mermaid is not an ancient chinese tale.

I’d like to see a source, though, if you have it.

1 Like

Simply type in, to whatever search engine you got. ‘Little Mermaid Origins’ and go for it.

I did. Nothing came up.

Now, would you like to back up your claim…or is your entire defense rested on giving someone else a homework assignment?

And for reference, I am not talking about “mermaids”. Mermaids are something that have entered a variety of culture’s mythology since what…4k bc?

I specifically want a source that “Ariel, the Little Mermaid” is a made up tale based on a chinese tale.

The only “inspiration” for the story I can find, actually details how the story was inspired by a failed romance attempt by Hans Christian Andersen.

2 Likes