So Sylvanas Has New Armor

So. Bellular put out a video and I guess it’s all over Twitter that Sylvanas is getting a new set of armor and bow. I’m trying to wrap my head around exactly when the decision was made that “All is forgiven, You’re clearly one of us, Now suit up!” (cue the Avenger’s theme music)

Yeah. I don’t recall signing off on this. And now captive Sylvanas has weapons and armor again, despite arguably being a danger to herself and others. Whose bright idea was this? They show a video of her looking all cute and blonde and all of a sudden it doesn’t matter that she’s literally guilty of genocide?

If this isn’t the most shameless use of the Halo Effect to push a narrative, I don’t know what is. “Well… Pretty Sylvanas is appalled by what Ugly Sylvanas did. So… we’re good now right?”

No. We’re not good. I don’t care that Taylor Swift Sylvanas freaked out over what Goth Girl Sylvanas did. Nor do I want to be monologued by the blue skinned “I-Have-It-So-Hard” Fusion of the two. And if this is some prelude to a love-fest between Sylvanas and Anduin, I am just going to throw up.

That’s all.

27 Likes

Blizzard is not skilled at writing prose worthy story.

News at 11…

No, seriously.

Don’t expect Blizzard to know how to craft a relatable story right now.

This sad fact is quite literally why Shadowlands is falling flat and failing with the players right now. The “story” as it is presented in game makes no logical continuity sense.

31 Likes

I still want to point out lorewise.

All of these great and powerful characters can still be taken out by just a drunk dwarf with a blunderbuss.

Remember when Sylv got capped the first time?

Yeah, all these characters are strong enough to beat a god, but weak enough when the plot demands it for a Dwarf on a bender to just casually end a savior of Azeroth.

8 Likes

They had some chit chat and Jaina was easily swayed, Thrall too etc… so - gotta love this writing teams ability to make this train go.

1 Like

you don’t work here.

5 Likes

The writing team will jump any height and loop any loop it takes to keep this trainwreck of a story both on track and going towards whatever forced narrative ending we are all stuck onboard until we all arrive wherever we are going in game.

Blizzard has a literally on one hand listening count when it comes to the players.

1 - Dual Spec, circa 2005, 1,000 gold. I’m not kidding.
2 - Adding more time to the MT, thanks to the CC.

That’s IT.

2 Likes

Oh good. Then I want a great big “NO” button for the next MSQ Blizzard writes. Since I don’t work here, I figure I’m not obligated to do F all. I mean, I already matter not a bit as far as the story goes anyway, apart from being photoshopped into cutscenes where I do a thing that affects… literally nothing.

Yep. I’ll just clean out my desk in the World Quests, Heroic Raids, and Battle Pet Collecting Dept and be on my way!

4 Likes

Every other gaming company:

“Customers! You matter! Please, tell us if we do wrong, please provide us feedback!”

Blizzard:

“We listen and we hear you.” Whispers, “And we will now silently ignore you.”

The game’s current state is a Blizzard problem, not a player one.

Players don’t even get to touch any content that has been pushed live.

11 Likes

Dark Lady, YES!
It makes my dead heart thrum with pride to see her emerge stronger than ever. A soul made whole, a warrior reborn.

8 Likes

That you praise this drivel of a story as presented is only going to encourage them to keep going with this failing narrative.

And yet they also wonder why people are leaving the game.

So obviously Danuser simps for Sylvanas, he is simply put writing Sylvanas as the Protagonist of WoW despite having according to lore genocided an entire race, and yet she’s somehow trusted with being armed and dangerous to anyone, let alone everyone.

10 Likes

meanwhile Garrosh - an actual badass…

Good, I like the direction Sylvanas is going. For the Dark Lady!

6 Likes

Story can’t be confused with anyone other than Sylvanas.

So sayeth Danuser.

3 Likes

i think Queen Aszhara could’ve played current Sylvanas personality so much better.

a lil genocide, a lil moving on, a lil water under the bridge is right up her alley…

7 Likes

I don’t even understand how a company can get to this point of degeneracy?

You make literally hundreds of billions of dollars by creating video games. Granted, some of your people have … issues. So, rather than address the issues and go on doing what made you successful, you’re going to suddenly commit a comedy of errors so long and so thorough that in the space of a year you manage to totally ruin your corporate branding?

You go from making the best, genre defining games, to suddenly not being able to do simple maintenance on those games, come up with believable story content for them, or understand what’s immersion breaking and what’s not? Not understanding how humor and levity work? Why they’re important?

And I’m going to actually give Blizzard’s story the benefit of the doubt here: If this is all a prelude to some cosmic switcharoo? That we’ve all been stuck in a Schrodinger Box with a radioactive isotope and we finally open the box and “OOPS” we’re dead? N’Zoth won? Great! But four years to tell that story is a bit much don’t you think?

8 Likes

Danuser does not have a Queen Aszshara body pillow.

Your statement is therefore invalid.

6 Likes

Maybe her old armor, and bow will be available for transmog. For the low price of $24.99 on the cash shop :crazy_face:

3 Likes

You missed the point that Blizzard truly is this incompetent right now.

Said incompetence is at Blizzard’s own hand.

As to why?

The developers can do no wrong when crafting WoW. This hubris has led them to believe that rather than only some stories are good enough for WoW, they believe instead that ANY story they concoct is good enough for WoW.

1 Like

I can’t understand how a multibillion dollar company that won’t do anything without a dozen meetings, focus group testing, input from all kinds of “experts”, etc. Would come up with something like this?

Not to toot my own horn, but I run a 5E D&D campaign as DM. I’m a firm believer in “Show, Don’t Tell.” I do not use “cut scene” moments in my games. Instead, I let my players be their own cut scenes. I give them little tid bits of information and encourage them to go find the rest of the story which is embedded in the world. If they don’t figure things out fast enough? TOO BAD. Things advance in the background and they run the risk of being left behind.

I’m one guy who spends a couple of hours a week on DM prep work and brainstorming. If I can have 5 players chomping at the bit every week for 3 hours of game play for the last year or more then why isn’t Blizzard putting me to shame?

4 Likes

For the Dark Lady.

4 Likes