So Shandris Feathermoon is the Night Elf Representative for the Nazjatar story

But the NE are so abused this expac! All of their lore is being ruined. Their home was destroyed and their leader is placing her own head on a chopping block. Not to mention their very nature, being savage and ruthless killers, is being boiled down to just being evil. They now fall apart at a hug too… oh wait no I am thinking about the forsaken.

3 Likes

The thing with this is I guess Darkspear started as a “brutalized”, i.e. less populated group to begin with. The rebel story in MoP was cool though but yaaaaaa boi Vol’jin taking an ‘arrow to the knee’ was dumb as hell. I like Rokhan though even if he doesn’t speak in that mellow “i am out of my mind stoned bro” voice he had in WC3.

Gonna have to disagree with this. Moira and the Dark Irons are the immediate example that come to mind.

1 Like

Playing both faction truly is a bliss.

It is really nice to see Nightbornes in Nazjatar.

It would have been nice to see Tyrande too.

No need to cry over other races/factions/fans because they might have it better at one point un time and space.

Did you read his post until the end?

2 Likes

Blood Elves were involved as Horde counterparts to Draenei and Night Elf action against the Legion.

I think they try to paint each race in multiple lights and it ends up disjointed. Some BE are like the sunreavers rogue agents, some are bastions of justice. Some forsaken are monsters, some are poor sad zombies. Sometimes the NE sick spectral tigers on you, sometimes they cry as you burn their homes.

So it’s like every race has the same problem. dual identities.

4 Likes

Hmm … perhaps the problem is more the execution is so poor, Blizz has created those “dual-identities” by accident; rather than showing each race as the spectrum that they clearly would prefer they be. They don’t want them to be monoliths, but they don’t seem to be particularly good as showing them to be a variety of peoples either; and rather portray each people as bi-polar instead. Its two extremes for each group … with little in the middle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

It does make sense to have different opinions and reactions among the same culture. However, how things are presented matter. I would like to see Liadrin question the banshee’s actions and motives.

2 Likes

The orcs are a great example. Evil, good, evil, good, regret murdering a bunch of people, then do it again. They hide critical details in books and let quest-lines like sylvanas leaving a mopy saurfang to kill malfurion. Continuity is an issue since half of the lore isn’t in the game.

If it happens, it’s going to be a single line in a book that’s really vague.

2 Likes

To be fair, Azshara did come to Darkshore back during the Cataclysm to personally distract Malfurion so that Ragnaros could get a head start up Mount Hyjal.

Never say never. From Elegy:

Malfurion handed her a leather scroll carrier. “Ask your dwarf friends if they are amenable to traveling to Stormwind before going on to Ironforge. They can deliver these missives to Tyrande and Anduin for me. Thank you, Sentinel. May the blessing of Elune be upon you.”

“Great Shan’do,” the girl said, “I have just come from General Shandris Feathermoon. The fleet is here!”

“Elune has heard our prayers!” Malfurion exclaimed, and a cheer went up.

“Sylvanas seeks me once again,” he told her calmly. “This time, I will go to her and delay her as long as Elune wills.”

Tears slipped down Delaryn’s face. Gently, Malfurion wiped them away. For a moment, she leaned her cheek into the comfort of his large hand; then she took a deep breath. She knew. The Horde would take Darnassus. The struggle now was to save as many lives as possible.

“What are my orders, Shan’do?” she asked quietly.

So brave. They have all been so brave, Malfurion thought. They deserve better than this. Would that I could give it to them. But the only thing I have to give is my life.

“Take your troops north to Mist’s Edge,” he replied. “When you are there . . . do all that you can.” Malfurion paused.

“Commander Summermoon . . . you did well. Elune be with you.”

And yet that seems to have worn off of Thalyssra, who now thinks back to the Horde and Alliance working together to liberate Suramar fondly and proposes to Lor’themar that they do that again. So even dumber story move there, now.

Malfurion is pretty much the entire Night Elf society’s father figure, as we see in Elegy:

Cordressa walked beside Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage through the Temple Gardens. Tyrande had elected to remain in Stormwind, working with Velen, Anduin Wrynn, and Genn Greymane in crafting war strategies for the long term. The high priestess had instructed Cordressa to return to Darnassus to inform Malfurion of the latest turn of events.

Although the great archdruid had returned to his people a few years ago from his sojourn in the Emerald Dream, his presence still took getting used to.

Malfurion Stormrage was unique—the greatest druid the night elves had ever produced. So deep was his affinity with nature that his very body proclaimed the connection. A stag’s antlers adorned his head, feathers lined his powerfully muscled arms like wings, and his feet were like those of a great cat.

Like nature itself, the mighty shan’do —honored teacher—was both gentle and fierce. But as a sentient being with a powerful mind and a strong will, he was in full command of which aspect of himself he manifested.

Now, he spoke in a soft voice as they walked together, gathering herbs. “You have recently returned from Silithus.”

Malfurion bent over a silverleaf bush and plucked a leaf, crushing it between his fingers and inhaling the clean, revitalizing aroma. As he did so, he brushed the plant with his other hand, murmuring his thanks. Three leaves burst from the stem; Malfurion had repaid the plant threefold for its sacrifice.

Cordressa, too, crushed a leaf and breathed in the scent, smiling as calm and clarity descended. Sentinels enjoyed a life that took them throughout Azeroth, but Cordressa had seldom left Darnassus, and she liked it that way. She would never shirk her duty nor shrink from battle, and there had been times when she had been stationed away from her people for years on end. But her home was here, with Tyrande and Malfurion, in Darnassus.

On top of that, Maiev looked up to Malfurion a lot back in Warcraft III:

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Chapter 4, “Wrath of the Betrayer”:

Maiev Shadowsong: We cannot escape, but perhaps we can send for reinforcements. Summon the runner! She must reach the shoreline and sail back to Kalimdor. With any luck, Shan'do Stormrage will reach us before we're overrun! Be swift, sister!

Maiev Shadowsong: Elune grant that she reaches Shan’do Stormrage in time. If not, Illidan may never be stopped.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Chapter 5, “Balancing the Scales”:

Maiev Shadowsong: Hold your ground, my warriors! Goddess willing, Shan'do Stormrage will come.

Maiev Shadowsong: Elune be praised! I knew you would come, Shan’do Stormrage!
    Malfurion Stormrage: I’m glad we reached you in time, Maiev.
    Maiev Shadowsong: Priestess Tyrande, I’m surprised you came in person. Are you here to absolve your guilty conscience?
    Tyrande Whisperwind: I did what I had to do, Maiev. You are in no position to judge me.
    Maiev Shadowsong: What you did was murder my Watchers and set the Betrayer free! It is you who should be locked in a cage.
    Malfurion Stormrage: Stop this, both of you! We’re not out of danger yet. Maiev, what’s the situation here?
    Maiev Shadowsong: There are no resources left in this area, Shan’do. We’ll need to find a gold mine if we’re to marshal more troops for an assault on Illidan’s compound.
    Malfurion Stormrage: Very well. Let’s get moving, then.

Maiev Shadowsong: Victory is ours! It has been an honor to fight at your side, Shan’do.
    Malfurion Stormrage: This battle is far from over, Maiev. Illidan has yet to be accounted for, and I’ve seen no sign of Tyrande, either.

Incidentally, in this same chapter, Tyrande does admit fault for freeing Illidan.

Illidan Stormrage: Tyrande! What are you doing here? This battle does not concern you.
    Tyrande Whisperwind: I was wrong to set you free, Illidan. I can see that now. You've become a monster.
    Illidan Stormrage: Monster? Is that what you think of me? I have always...cared about you, Tyrande. I sought only to prove my worthiness--my power!
    Tyrande Whisperwind: Raw power is no substitute for true strength, Illidan. That is why I chose your brother over you.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Chapter 6, “Shards of the Alliance”:

Maiev Shadowsong: Our forces will be ready to move out soon, although we still know next to nothing about this strange land Illidan has run to.
    Malfurion Stormrage: This land is called Lordaeron, Maiev. It is the homeland of the Alliance that aided us at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. I was told that its kingdoms, both human and elven, were consumed by the undead Scourge. These forests have suffered grievously. I must leave you both for a time. I will enter the woods and attempt to commune with the land itself.
    Maiev Shadowsong: While you're gone, we'll set out and try to pick up Illidan's trail. Malfurion Stormrage: I expect you both to stay focused on your task. You can settle your personal dispute after we've found my brother.
    Maiev Shadowsong: Of course, Shan'do. We'd best get moving.

Addressing someone as Shan’do in Night Elf culture is to hold them in extreme reverence, even - or perhaps especially - by those who aren’t Druids.

11 Likes

Its amazing. Not once did I say other races haven’t had a crap hand dealt to them. Nor did I say nobody had a right to lament theirs (except in overt bitterness at having it shoved down my throat three ways to next tuesday) Just argued with people who told me I wasn’t allowed to be sad at my crap hand.

Yet here we are just a few posts down from me acknowledging that my favorite race isn’t alone in having their story arc finish without them involved and pleading for people to just let me gripe, and the whataboutism and spin gets thrown back this way. A thread for nelf fans to talk about what they dislike regarding the nelf story and a post waltzes in here to unironically ask “But how do the Forsaken players feel?”

As though we don’t have those threads for them. As though you don’t (rightfully) poo-poo this very whatabouty post of yours when wearing an Alliance skin. AS THOUGH one group feeling bad invalidates the rights of another group feeling the same about their own issues.

FFS.

4 Likes

Sorry if I jumped the gun. And I do understand the frustration, especially with Tyrande’s TOTAL apparent absence in 8.2 (which is extremely concerning considering it likely means she will have a bigger role going forwards into 8.2.5 or 8.3; for better … or very possibly worse).

Blizz clearly developed BfA’s story with one thing in mind (setting up the next expansion, with Sylvie’s personal narrative being so center stage that it comes at the expense of the NE’s; the Horde’s; and the Alliance’s). They then have been working their way backwards, filling in the pieces as they go … to disastrous results (and, I am a bit concerned that it will remain this way until Sylvie is allowed to do whatever the heck she’s supposed to do … at the expense of everything else).

Sorry for the NE PC race issues going on. D: I do at least hope things get a bit brighter in the future, rather than continuing down this ridiculously dark path that they are currently set on (at least to a certain extent; as, unfortunately, there is only so much you can punish the Horde faction before you hurt the Horde playerbase too much).

3 Likes

Ok, idk what you’re upset about. I am agreeing with you. I just think the problem is that across the board every race’s lore is being spread too thin.

This isn’t whataboutism I am not saying the NE fans don’t get to complain. I am stressing that no matter how much of a spotlight they give any race no one will enjoy it if it’s broken, spotty lore.

Elune saving malfurion and the entire idea of NE rallying around being chosen by elune is no where in the game right? I never saw it.

2 Likes

As someone that has a stake on both sides and cares about the story over partisan peeing contests, I always felt the Nightborne fit the Horde races, specifically the Blood Elves way better than the Alliance. That Blizzard could have taken either route, but having NB - dastardly, arrogant, self-centered - on the goody-goody pure-as-driven-snow faction made no sense.

FWIW.

Er… I want to like your post, but I was confuse by this statement. I didn’t understand what you meant in relation to the rest of your post. Could you clarify?

In the novella “A good war” elune does some sorta trickery and gets saurfang to spare malfurion. Then sylvanas thinks, oh now they think they are chosen by their goddess to win so they won’t lose hope. Or some nonsense like that. Apparently it was very important and the real reason she burned the tree.

1 Like

Ah, yes, I agree with you there that this was nonsense. Likes for you.

That’s really the worst part. Blizz has set up the worst possible situation: one playable faction is responsible for an unforgivable act (Burning of Teldrassil) against another. But because it’s a playable faction, there can never be true comeuppance. Meanwhile the true villains, the story team, high five each other over the incredible ending they’ve got planned that they’re convinced will win all of us over.

Prediction: no one will be satisfied. Not Alliance players, not Horde players. We’ll all just sit in the rain while the story team throws a party for themselves.

12 Likes

sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS

sHoCkInG tWiSt

5 Likes

See … that’s the weird thing. We STILL don’t have any idea why she even wanted this darned war. We know the reasons she gave to Saurfang ONLY, not hers (which … seem to counteract the reasons she gave to Saurfang on several key levels; even before she burned the Tree). Her reasons for burning the tree are even more pointed towards whatever “True Objectives” she has.

Its a strange feeling fighting a war when you have no idea why. On a more meta level, its even stranger to be fighting a war for a woman who will likely betray the ever loving crap out of your faction in some inconceivably large way (because, there is no reason to hide her reasons for he conflict if they were in any way beneficial to the Faction or World).

2 Likes