So Shandris Feathermoon is the Night Elf Representative for the Nazjatar story

Fair enough…but then she is fine with Genn Greymane, who did exactly the same thing when the Scourge came.

Genn is just an Elisande who got a redemption arc.

Also, diplomacy isn’t about being right. It’s about getting the result you want. If the result Tyrande wanted was the Nightborne joining the Horde, then she did the right things. If not then…bad diplomacy. I guess there’s a reason it’s a racial for humans and not Night Elves.

3 Likes

There is nothing in the game right now that indicates she wouldn’t have been equally fine with the NB joining the Alliance.

I mean, except past the genocide thing. All fine and good that the NB joined up with people who buttered their bread harder than the others. But supporting your new pals committing genocide on pals who trusted you less immediately after was just a stupid, stupid story move.

5 Likes

Stop crying about nightborn, thalryssa didn’t take tyrande’s role in it, she’s there for the token horde representation.

3 Likes

She’s the face of it… more so than Malfurion who’s not nearly the people person that she and Jarod Shadowsong are, and the latter doesn’t really face for the Night Elves as much.

Tell you what. I’ll stop whining about the stuff in this story that bugs me when you do the same.

Battle for the Heart of the Horde didn’t need more Horde rep. There’s been enough cinematics and story focus (I know I know, you don’t like the focus QQQQQ) on them already. They especially didn’t need night elves shoe horned onto their faction (twice!) to do it.

Careful. Saying this exact thing about Sylvanas and Forsaken culture will get you called an idiot in other threads.

1 Like

The RPG pegged it right when it gave them a racial minus on Charisma.

i know, i don’t like the 60th saurfang cinematic either. It has no point in this patch as the 2 main plots aren’t supposed to be the faction war, they are supposed to be Azshara and Mechagon. And i was telling you that even if tyrande was there thalryssa would still be there, Jaina is your second character in that, so if you want more tyrande you need less Jaina.

Tyrande doesn’t have a philosophical issue with the concept of building a wall around a city or territory. That’s not why she was wary of the Nightborne. Her issue with them is that they were Azshara’s lackeys throughout the War of the Ancients up until the last hour, when they realized that they might not come out on top, so they bubbled up and left the rest of the Night Elves, including Tyrande, to die horribly.

If Genn had done those same things to the Night Elves, then you’d have a fair comparison.

7 Likes

Nope. Still dislike Thalyssra, a night elf leader, being there but not Tyrande. I also dislike Jaina being there. I’m a multi-faceted individual like that.

You can hate thalryssa all you want,She just didn’t replace tyrande in the scenario (I mean nightborn aren’t night elves culturally or biologically anymore).

I do agree not having Tyrande or Malfurian is a mistake, just don’t think Thalryssa being there is an insult to you guys.

7 Likes

Yeah. That’s an annoying story contrivance to give Horde players more of the things I was once inspired by and excited for. And I’m honestly sick that this happens so much that I can grow tired of reading the Horde perspective being one of hindsight in their favor.

Before Legion Suramar was a night elf story, not Alliance or Horde, before Blizz gave it to the Horde. It was once a part of the story I counted as part of my race’s lore. As a thing I was attached to. It was what I was excited for in Legion. That you can now, after the fact, say Daddy Blizz gave you my toys as refutation for how I feel about seeing them getting used by other kids on the playground is the exact opposite of quelling how I feel.

“Blizz took the story of the thing you like in our direction. Sorry, that’s just how it is ¯\ _(ツ) _/¯”

Fact is our night elf leader is out and your night elf leader, one recently retooled and tailored for your faction in what I can only take as spite given all other contexts Blizz has put the race as a whole in, is in. And that annoys me. On multiple levels.

I’m glad our B lister in her mixed questing gear/last expac’s raid leather transmog gets some rep but it’s pretty bitter consolation when contrasted with everything else Blizz has been doing to night elves and their story.

6 Likes

My issue is the fact Night Elves in game aren’t portrayed as the ancient kaldorei empire reborn but as a group of people trying to separate themselves from the acts of the old empire. It’s why arcane magic was outlawed for so long. Nightborn are more similar culturally to blood elves then Night Elves, their not completely different but it wasn’t something that was supposed to be night elven to the core.

The issue winds up being that the Highborn are just as historically important to the Blood Elves as the Night Elves, blood elves are their ancestors and the remains of their old class, while night elves were for the most part, farmers and country folk. They were the lower class to the nightbornes upper class. It seems like “Night Elf Lore” because the War of the Ancients was night elf lore, but it also could be seen as Blood Elven lore.

Basicly it wasn’t just “Giving Night Elves to the Horde” because the Nightborn were very different from the Night Elves.

1 Like

The Night Elf leader on site is Shandris probably the highest ranked Night Elf in uniform at this point.

This entire post is my point. Its all hindsight. “Blizz made them different, so now I can argue they were always for me ^_^”

It was night elf lore. And it was altered to cater to your half of the fandom. And I am bitter over it because it constantly happens.

This was night elf lore and it was given to the Horde for reasons I can’t fathom beyond Blizz just being spiteful. They apparently only find night elf stories interesting to write if they can somehow justify making it about the Horde in how the night elves get butchered by them but the Horde feels super duper bad about it, or them joining the Horde. Going by Legion and BfA anyway.

Until Legion nobody was reading Suramar and going “AH AT LONG LAST HORDE LORE AFTER ALL THESE GUYS ARE MORE LIKE BLOOD ELVES”

Just like you didn’t think that about the Shen’dralar, who have the exact same freaking story as the Suramari elves, but joined the Kaldorei in Cata.

This is a story contrivance that caters to you and it is the only reason you argue for it. It didn’t make sense to anticipate it. It only makes sense in retrospect, after the shoe horning.

6 Likes

It wasn’t night elf lore as the Suramar are nightborne, not night elves, not Kal’dorei. They’re not night elves any more than the blood elves are now.

5 Likes

Wow its amazing its like you aren’t even aware that’s exactly the thing I’m saying I hate about where the story went. Incredible how we come to a forum for readers and people can’t be bothered to read.

6 Likes

To be fair, I would speak for Azshara’s characterization in saying that these are all one in the same.

Offshoots of the Kaldorei Empire. It was a thing.

Let us not get swept up in current Elvish notions. The bastardizations and evolutions.

Azshara was the Queen of the Kaldorei Empire.

WoW Elf Lore has a singular root. And the root splits at the fall of Azshara.

1 Like

What were you expecting from a group of Highborne descendants? They have their own city with no need to integrate into a culture that is foreign and distrustful of them. Why would they feel the need to be in the same faction as them? The Empire is gone. They are their own cultural group. They allied with the faction that has the Elves most like them and and looks at them with positive curiosity, not suspicion.

1 Like

Its funny that you folks keep posting this stuff. Really is.

Hey look. The Horde still isn’t the only faction with high elves. (Thalassian AND Darnassian.)

In case the link is confusing: The Shen’dralar are highborne in the Alliance. Have been since Cata. They have the EXACT same story as Suramar in relation to their Darnassian kin.

As so many others are quick to point out when shutting Drah down, Tyrande isn’t the only face for the race. There were plenty of generous Kaldorei aiding their kin with positivity. A whole band of Kaldorei druids helping those plucky rebels can still be seen fixing their tree and saving their entire people from withering, in fact.

3 Likes

I fail to see what is actually wrong with the Nightborne joining the Horde other than the villain batting that hurts every Horde race. They are a different group than those Highborne. They did not give Night Elf lore to the Horde because they are not Night Elves. They are their own cultural group. They just happen to look closer to Night Elves than Blood Elves and have remnants of Elune worship. It is silly to expect every offshoot of Night Elves to want to be buddies with the remaining group of actual Night Elves.

1 Like