So ranged survival in NW

This makes sense because when people asked Hazzikostas about melee SV’s unpopularity he said peer pressure from forum posts, which are definitely read by a majority of the playerbase, is the core reason.

Oh, wait, that’s not what he said. He said that Hunters by and large prefer to play ranged and therefore will not be interested in a melee spec but he’s sure they’ll get plenty of new players and rerolls to make up the difference.

Because Blizzard makes poorly-thought-out nonsense decisions all the time especially when it comes to class design in WoD and Legion. They got some new people in charge that were so enamoured with melee specs and melee Hunters that they declared ranged SV to be the same thing as MM because they both used a ranged weapon with low dependence on a pet and turned SV into their sandbox for their repulsive melee Hunter experiment. They did this while acknowledging that it wouldn’t be popular and that many people would be disappointed.

As it turns out WoD onwards marked a transition in the WoW development team away from a player-first philosophy in favour of a developer-first one and this is evident in things extending far beyond just class design. Whether or not ranged SV was popular is not up for debate; it’s clear from representation data from the time that it was. What the change to melee shows is that Blizzard didn’t care about what players wanted.

This would be a good thing actually because it was routinely very popular :+1:

I’m sure you don’t because of the average selfishness of melee Survival fans, but don’t you see a problem with a Hunter spec being designed in a way that alienates Hunter players in an attempt to pull in melee mains like yourself? Call me crazy but Hunter specs should be designed to be appealing to Hunters; not as fun alt specs for melee mains.

Windwalker is in fact a very powerful spec right now that has many times the representation of Survival. Definitely not the best example you could have used.

10 Likes

The fact that I like survival and main melee specs is completely unrelated to its design or design intention.

As players I don’t really think we can say for sure that devs deliberately wanted to attract melee players with the redesign of survival; or alienate players drawn to a hunter/ranger fantasy (which to be honest doesn’t at all because a ranger is typically well versed in all forms of combat melee included). What I will say is that an instant cast, ranged dot spec was about as boring/brain dead as this game could get.

WW was horrible in BFA, and is only decent in M+ and aoe/cleave raid bosses atm. It was more a poke at the wild statements in the thread.

1 Like

What, so Survival was not made melee to appeal to melee players?

This doesn’t work when the Hunter class in WoW was explicitly defined around ranged combat. This made sense because “hunter” is a very broad concept and it needs more specificity as a playable WoW class. Ranged weapons were a great conduit for the Hunter fantasy. When Blizzard goes to that class a decade later and forces one of the specs to be melee all that accomplishes is making that spec a worse Hunter. Survival’s entire identity is a handicap.

…to you, a melee main.

You really are living in a bubble.

5 Likes

Ion did say as much in the interview. How they knew going in that it wouldn’t necessarily be aimed at then-current hunters but rather would make for an attractive choice for new players & players of other classes.

The only thing this proves is that RSV wasn’t the right spec for you.

Meanwhile, it very much was just that for a lot of other players, waay more players than the amount who are interested in playing current SV.

7 Likes

dont bother, its just a bad faith argument that boils down to " i dont like melee sv, i liked ranged sv" thats made multiple paragraphs long by adding buzzwords like extremely problematic lmao. he just replies with the exact same post a couple thousand times for apparently no gain since even he knows no1 is reading these forums lol

2 Likes

Yea I don’t get it, they have two other options and its like there’s only survival, and then there’s only one class in the entire game.

Many of us used to main Survival when it was ranged. This isn’t a simple live-and-let-live situation. Melee Survival exists because ranged Survival was removed.

8 Likes

If you haven’t by now, you probably never will.

But either way, it’s not just about making it ranged again. I personally have no interest in replacing current SV at all, I just want RSV back. It’s about getting back the playstyle that was RSV prior to Legion. A playstyle that cannot be found anywhere else, not even in “the other two options”.

So no, there’s no alternative, there’s no other class that could provide what old RSV was all about.

The ranged vs. melee-argument that people are having time and time again stems from the above, but has more to do with the class as a whole, and what the majority of it’s players want when playing as hunters.

5 Likes

Is this Metrohaha (something like that) the Deathknight?

Edit: doesn’t appear to be the same according to achievement point and guild names.

new world out here already making twice as many ranged specs as blizz could come up with

4 Likes

Yeah but it’s new world :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

…is actually more fun than MSV on live.

Don’t @ me

3 Likes

So an MMO that looks to appeal to ranged, and I believe you to be a melee enthusiast, disgusts you? I know that’s only one part of it…

You mean Metroîd?

Doubt it. Why?

On the contrary I’ve traditionally been ranged. You are really trying to reach here.

I’m just saying it’s new world. Anything else you care to be triggered by today?

1 Like

I mean I hate unholy but I’m not going to throw a fit because it’s nothing like wotlk unholy. Would we get it back or frost tank back by complaining/whining/ignoring other people’s opinions? Probably not.

I only remember RSV in wotlk as I pretty much stopped playing the game until WoD for a patch/then a little of legion/BFA. But my goodness, RSV in wotlk had to be the most brain dead spec I’ve ever seen in WoW’s history; instacast dot your target and play you can’t catch me all day. I’m glad Blizzard diversified the class, I wish they’d do so with a few other classes like giving rogue a tank spec etc…

Anyways, with how little blizzard actually listens to feedback, you’re better off trying other classes or other games. In the end this is simply a game.

Haven’t seen anyone do so here either, when it comes to RSV.

Explains it then. Why you think the way you do I mean.

It wasn’t even a spec in WotLK.

Back then, we only had the core mechanics of the class as a whole, while talents only added to said core. And in most cases, only a select few talents were actually designed to have a bigger impact on your gameplay.

WotLK was the very first expansion where they made any attempt at all to divide the classes into multiple separate playstyles. Outside of common combat roles ofc(and hybrid classes).

But with each expansion from that point onwards, they did more and more to improve upon the design and gameplay of RSV. Many argue that it had it’s peak design during MoP. WoD was good as well, although at that point, it was glaringly obvious that the devs weren’t putting any more time into the spec. And from what we’ve seen since, it’s clear that this was because they had already started on the new melee-spec we saw with Legion.

Anyway, your argument of complexity…isn’t really relevant here. Especially considering it’s based on WotLK, a time before there actually were any Core Specs in the game at all.

And, as for the arguments people make about bringing it back, assuming your memories of RSV as it was in WotLK are still clear/detailed, feel free to compare that to what you can see below here:

Modern version of RSV

Any numbers mentioned are only here to provide further depth to the concept and are ofc subject to change.

Core Abilities

[Cobra Shot] - Instant cast
A quick shot causing X Physical damage.

Generates 7 Focus.

[Explosive Shot] - 20 Focus - Instant cast - 10 sec recharge - 2 charges
Fire an explosive charge into the enemy target, dealing Fire damage. The charge will blast the target every second for an additional 4 sec.

[Black Arrow] - 30 Focus - Instant cast - 30 sec cooldown
Fire a shot infused with dark energy at the target, dealing Shadow damage over 12 sec.

The periodic damage-effect applied by Black Arrow can be stacked up to 3 times on the same enemy.

[Serpent Sting] - 15 Focus - Instant cast
Fire a shot that poisons your target, causing them to take Nature damage over 15 sec.

[Arcane Shot] - 20 Focus - Instant cast
A quick shot that causes X Arcane damage.

[Multi-Shot] - 40 Focus - Instant cast
Fires several missiles, hitting up to 5 targets within 8 yards of your current target for X Physical damage.

Multi-Shot applies Serpent Sting to all targets hit.

[Immolation Trap] - Instant cast - 1 minute cooldown
Hurls a fire trap to the target location that will burn the first enemy to approach for X Fire damage over 20 sec. Trap will exist for 1 min.

Class-wide abilities

[Kill Shot] - 10 Focus - Instant cast - 10 sec recharge - 1 Charge
You attempt to finish off a wounded target, dealing X Physical damage.

Only usable on enemies with less than 20% health.

Major Cooldown

[Munition Tactics] - 20 sec duration - 2 minute cooldown.
Increases your haste by X% and instantly triggers Lock & Load(Passive). When Explosive Shot is used during Munition Tactics, this resets the remaining cooldown of Black Arrow.

Any time Explosive Shot deals damage to a target affected by Black Arrow, during Munition Tactics, this will cause the periodic damage effect applied by Black Arrow to spread to nearby enemies as well.
(This effect is replaced by a different passive effect when engaged in instanced PvP; If your Black Arrow is at any time dispelled or otherwise removed from an enemy target, this instantly resets the remaining cooldown of Black Arrow.)

Mastery

[Mastery Bonus: Toxicology] - Increases all non-physical damage dealt by X%, based on Mastery.

Passive Effects

[Lone Wolf] - Increases your damage by 10% when you do not have an active pet.

[Lock and Load] - Periodic damage dealt by Black Arrow and Immolation Trap have a chance to cause your next Explosive Shot to cost no Focus and trigger no cooldown.

[Trap Mastery] - Tar Trap now slows approaching enemies by an additional X%, and the effect sticks to the enemy for 3 seconds after they have left the tar.

The trigger radius as well as the radius of the effect on your Tar Trap is increased by 25%.

Freezing Trap can now be triggered manually by the hunter once placed, causing it to form a fragile Ice Block that you can stand behind to protect yourself from frontal attacks until shattered. The ice block shatters after 8 seconds or once it has sustained enough damage.
Manually triggering it requires you to stand in close vicinity to the trap.

[Serpent’s Focus] - Using Cobra Shot several times in a row will increase the amount of Focus generated by each shot by 4. Stacking up to 3 times.

[Serpent Spread] - Targets hit by Multi-Shot are also afflicted by Serpent Sting equal to 9 sec of it’s duration.

[Exotic Munitions] - Your Auto Attacks have a chance to increase the remaining duration of either Serpent Sting, Black Arrow or Immolation Trap by 5 seconds, on an enemy affected by either of these periodic damage effects.

Utility/defensives

Includes all other abilities, such as [Tar Trap][Frost Trap][Aspect of the Turtle][Concussive Shot][Counter Shot][Tranquilizing Shot][Misdirection][Pet Utility][Exhilaration][Disengage][Feign Death], and more.

Note that I would prefer if(on a class-wide basis)

[Posthaste] - becomes a baseline effect.
[Master’s Call] - becomes a baseline ability again.
[Pet Specializations] - Ferocity, Tenacity, and Cunning, if they were changeable again.
[Revive Pet] - Cast time brought down to 2 seconds again.
[Camouflage] - becomes a baseline ability again.

Talents

– Level 15 –

[Ever Burning] - If you fire Explosive Shot into an enemy already affected by a previous charge, the remaining duration of the previous charge is refreshed as well as increased by an additional 3 seconds.

An active charge can only have a max duration of 9 seconds.

Exotic Munition-procs now also increases the remaining duration of any active Explosive Shot charges you have on the current target by 3 seconds.

[Noxious Stings] - Increases the periodic critical damage of your Explosive Shot, Serpent Sting, and Black Arrow by 25%, and Serpent Sting now deals increased damage against targets below 30% health.

[Fusion Shot] - (Replaces Cobra Shot) - 1.5s cast time(castable while moving) - 6 sec recharge - 2 Charges
Fire a charged shot into the target, dealing Physical damage.

When your next ability that deals periodic damage hits the target, this triggers a volatile fusion immediately causing it to erupt dealing additional instant damage equal to 40% of it’s total duration. The target will take additional damage of the same type as the ability used to trigger the fusion for the next 12 sec.

Generates 25 Focus.

– Level 25 –

[Death Adder] - Serpent Sting also does instant damage equal to 30% of it’s total periodic effect. Also applies to Serpent Spread(Passive).

Every time Serpent Sting deals damage, you have a chance to gain 3 Focus.

If the passive effect “Exotic Munitions” procs while your Serpent Sting is active on the target, this also triggers the Death Adder-effect.

[Predator] - Casting Explosive Shot, Black Arrow, Serpent Sting, or Multi-Shot reduces the Focus cost and increases the damage of your next Arcane Shot by 30%. This effect stacks.

[Viper Venom] - Whenever Serpent Sting deals damage, there’s a chance that this can cause any other periodic damage effects you have applied to the target to instantly deal damage equal to one tick of their total effect.

If this proc occurs when the target is affected by Black Arrow, this will instantly refresh it’s remaining duration and restore 8 Focus back to you.

– Level 30 –

[Trailblazer] - [Natural Mending]

[Bestial Dicipline] - (Replaces Camouflage as a talent choice) - While your pet is active, you and your pet(s) regenerate X% of total health every 3 sec. Healing done to you and your pet(s) is increased by X%.

Damage taken by your pet(s) is reduced by 15%.

When Lone Wolf(Passive) is active, you continue to heal for the same amount of health.

– Level 35 –

[Cluster Shot] - 25 Focus - Instant cast - 15 sec cooldown.
Fire a shot which explodes on impact, instantly dealing Physical damage to the primary target and all other nearby enemies, and causing them to bleed for an additional X Physical damage over 3 sec.

Explosive Shot-charges which are still active on any target(s) hit by Cluster Shot will instantly erupt, dealing all remaining damage to the affected target(s) at once.

[Wildfire] - 8 sec duration
The periodic damage effect applied by Immolation Trap will now spread to any enemy standing in close range to an already burning target. As long as an enemy is within range of another enemy affected by Wildfire or Immolation Trap, the Wildfire will continue to spread.

[T.N.T.] - Explosive Shot now deals damage to all enemies near the affected target.

– Level 40 –

[Born to be Wild] - [Binding Shot]

[Adaption] - (Replaces Posthaste as a talent choice) Getting hit with an incapacitating effect(Stun/Fear), reduces the remaining cooldown of your Aspect of the Turtle by 30%. This effect has an internal cooldown of X sec.

Aspect of the Turtle is now usable when incapacitated.

When rooted or slowed, the remaining cooldown of Aspect of the Cheetah is reduced by 15 seconds. Aspect of the Cheetah frees you from movement impairing effects and you cannot be slowed below 100% movement speed while it’s active.

– Level 45 –

[Spitting Cobra] - Cobra Shot now deals an additional X% damage as Nature damage and extends the remaining duration of Serpent Sting on the enemy target by X sec.

Cobra Shot now has a high chance of generating double Focus when fired.

• [Exothermia] (Requires talent: Fusion Shot)
    Increases your critical strike chance against any enemy you hit with Fusion Shot by X% for 12 sec. Dealing Fire damage to the target extends this effect even further.
    Fusion Shot generates an additonal 10 Focus over 5 sec.

[Pre-Heat] - The cooldown of Immolation Trap is reduced by 5 seconds every time Immolation Trap deals critical damage to the enemy target. In addition, if an enemy target dies while affected by Immolation Trap, it’s cooldown is reset.

[Intoxication] - Your ranged Auto Attacks have a chance to grant you 2 stacks of Intoxication. When Black Arrow is refreshed or when it expires from an enemy, you gain this effect as well.

• Intoxication
    When you use an ability that deals instant damage, it has a 100% chance to be a critical strike.
    When you use an ability that deals periodic damage, damage caused by this ability is increased by an additional X%.

– Level 50 –

[Rapid Recuperation] - Damage caused by Explosive Shot have a chance to reduce the remaining cooldown of Munition Tactics by 1 sec.

Whenever Lock & Load procs, this causes the next Explosive Shot fired to have a 100% chance for each of it’s ticks to reduce the remaining cooldown of Munition Tactics by 1 sec.

Catalysis - Duration 10 sec.
Black Arrow increases any Fire-damage you deal to an enemy by X%.

In addition, Explosive Shot-charges granted by Lock & Load extend the remaining duration of Black Arrow by 1 second every time they deal damage to the affected target.

[Resourcefulness] - Reduces the cooldown of all traps and Black Arrow by 20%. Your Freezing Trap and Tar Trap both have a 100% chance to proc Lock & Load when triggered.

Freezing Trap when triggered manually can now withstand 100% more damage before shattering.

When an enemy breaks free from your Freezing Trap, they will take an additional 10% damage from all sources for the next X seconds.

Critical damage dealt by Immolation Trap is increased by X%.

Bonus effects/Bonus Traits

Got no good names for these traits/bonuses yet but…just wanted to add in some potential fun bonus effects that are spec specific. They can be tied to things such as Set Bonuses or something similar to Artifact Traits/Azerite Traits of the past.

(1) Lock and Load now grants 2 charges of Explosive Shot when it procs, instead of 1.

(2) When you get a Exotic Munitions-proc. It will grant you an additional bonus effect depending on which periodic damage-effect it benefits.

Serpent Sting - Until the current Serpent Sting debuff expires or is refreshed, every time it deals damage to the target, you instantly gain 3 Focus.

Black Arrow - The remaining cooldown of Black Arrow is instantly reset.

Immolation Trap - Your next Immolation Trap will deal an extra X% damage and will also have an increased X% chance to critically hit the affected target.

(3) Arcane Shot now triggers the passive effect “Exotic Munitions” when it hits an enemy target.

I would argue this concept amounts to a bit more than what you saw during WotLK.

4 Likes

See, though, this is different. If they made UH a caster with no melee components whatsoever, then yes, that would be a valid argument. Blizzard unmade the core vision of the class when they said, “Uh, well, this thing is going to use a 2hander now for REASONS.” There was quite literally no logic behind it, when only 3 specs used ranged weapons to begin with. Now two. I can’t make sense of it.

I said before that SV should have interchangeable weaopon options since they are, by name, survivalists. You want to dual wield? Cool. You want to rock a gun? Why not? 2 hander? You do you, bro. It’s just a matter of calculations and making a handfull of skills interchangeable.

• Only conc shot, no more WC
  • Raptor strike usable with a ranged weapon
  • Only Counter Shot, no more Muzzle
  • Kill shot usable with a ranged weapon
  • Arcane moved to MM only

I think that’s it? You’d have to keep Eagle if someone still wanted to rock melee. In my opinion, there should be incentives to use different weapon types - haste, splash damage, better kiting, whatever. Just make the spec appeal to everyone. It’s pretty darn close to is already.

I think it’s more about the fact that New World just doesn’t look great.

Did you play, like, any spec at all in Classic, BC, and WotLK? The Lock and Load interaction alone was enough to make Survival more involved than most other specs in the game at that point. The standards of rotational complexity were rock bottom. In BC Hunters were running around topping DPS meters spamming a Steady Shot castsequence macro.

But it seems to me you’re less bothered by Survival’s simplicity in WotLK and more bothered that it was a ranged spec that kited enemies around. So… your overwhelming melee bias is doing the talking again.

“I’m glad Blizzard defined a spec around a handicap just to sell it to people who hate Hunters and ranged combat like me!”

• Which Rogue spec should be tank?
  • Will you be the one to tell the people playing that spec that they don’t get to enjoy it as it is anymore because it doesn’t fit your ideal vision for the class you don’t even main?

And you want to lecture me about “live and let live”…

8 Likes

I love SV. But I genuinely feel it should be an entirely different class from hunter.

It should exist. It is my favorite spec in the game right now. But it is unique and should be its own thing. Specs built off of it, different directions.

I do support ranged survival being a thing again. But I don’t think hunters should be limited to the 3 ranged weapons much like they originally weren’t.

2 Likes