So ranged survival in NW

because im not the one suggesting commiting dev time to reoverhauling a single spec a 2nd time just because people miss hitting their 2 dots and then waiting 2 seconds to reapply explosive when lnl procced lol

1 Like

They committed dev time in the first place in reworking a popular spec into the game’s most controversial and unpopular spec. Then they did it again 1 expansion later. You’re really not in a place to accuse ranged SV fans of wanting to waste dev time. It’s already been wasted. We just want to fix it.

11 Likes

yeah 5 years ago they did, how is that even remotely relevant lmao it doesnt change the fact you want to overhaul (not fix) the spec again.

again, youve been doing this for literal years, not replying again lol

1 Like

Because SV being melee is still extremely problematic. 5 years later and it’s not any more familiar to the playerbase and still remains the least popular spec in the game. There is no reason to keep this spec melee at this point beyond pride.

12 Likes

Its not popular because the lemmings who jump on the forums and reads “SV SUCKS AS MELEE” just go “OK” and play something else. SV is fine where it is, and as it been said, the same crew jump on the forums, and decry how much of a failure it is and how great RSV was. I do mean past tense…WAS. Even though the argument that escapes this thought is if RSV was popular and great, then why was it picked as the one to change ? Coin toss ? Red Light Green Light ? Rock Paper Scissors ?

So 6 years later here we are. I’ll will still say what I have always said. If it was range again, it would be no more popular than it was the first go around, and unless it was the meta, people would still be BM or MM.

3 Likes

I primarily play melee specs when I focus on a character for an expac, and even though my main and alt are a DK and warrior, survival is infinitely more enjoyable than my main/alt. The only more enjoyable/fun melee spec to me is WW, and ww is typically bottom tier.

So let’s delete WW right?

1 Like

This makes sense because when people asked Hazzikostas about melee SV’s unpopularity he said peer pressure from forum posts, which are definitely read by a majority of the playerbase, is the core reason.

Oh, wait, that’s not what he said. He said that Hunters by and large prefer to play ranged and therefore will not be interested in a melee spec but he’s sure they’ll get plenty of new players and rerolls to make up the difference.

Because Blizzard makes poorly-thought-out nonsense decisions all the time especially when it comes to class design in WoD and Legion. They got some new people in charge that were so enamoured with melee specs and melee Hunters that they declared ranged SV to be the same thing as MM because they both used a ranged weapon with low dependence on a pet and turned SV into their sandbox for their repulsive melee Hunter experiment. They did this while acknowledging that it wouldn’t be popular and that many people would be disappointed.

As it turns out WoD onwards marked a transition in the WoW development team away from a player-first philosophy in favour of a developer-first one and this is evident in things extending far beyond just class design. Whether or not ranged SV was popular is not up for debate; it’s clear from representation data from the time that it was. What the change to melee shows is that Blizzard didn’t care about what players wanted.

This would be a good thing actually because it was routinely very popular :+1:

I’m sure you don’t because of the average selfishness of melee Survival fans, but don’t you see a problem with a Hunter spec being designed in a way that alienates Hunter players in an attempt to pull in melee mains like yourself? Call me crazy but Hunter specs should be designed to be appealing to Hunters; not as fun alt specs for melee mains.

Windwalker is in fact a very powerful spec right now that has many times the representation of Survival. Definitely not the best example you could have used.

10 Likes

The fact that I like survival and main melee specs is completely unrelated to its design or design intention.

As players I don’t really think we can say for sure that devs deliberately wanted to attract melee players with the redesign of survival; or alienate players drawn to a hunter/ranger fantasy (which to be honest doesn’t at all because a ranger is typically well versed in all forms of combat melee included). What I will say is that an instant cast, ranged dot spec was about as boring/brain dead as this game could get.

WW was horrible in BFA, and is only decent in M+ and aoe/cleave raid bosses atm. It was more a poke at the wild statements in the thread.

1 Like

What, so Survival was not made melee to appeal to melee players?

This doesn’t work when the Hunter class in WoW was explicitly defined around ranged combat. This made sense because “hunter” is a very broad concept and it needs more specificity as a playable WoW class. Ranged weapons were a great conduit for the Hunter fantasy. When Blizzard goes to that class a decade later and forces one of the specs to be melee all that accomplishes is making that spec a worse Hunter. Survival’s entire identity is a handicap.

…to you, a melee main.

You really are living in a bubble.

5 Likes

Ion did say as much in the interview. How they knew going in that it wouldn’t necessarily be aimed at then-current hunters but rather would make for an attractive choice for new players & players of other classes.

The only thing this proves is that RSV wasn’t the right spec for you.

Meanwhile, it very much was just that for a lot of other players, waay more players than the amount who are interested in playing current SV.

7 Likes

dont bother, its just a bad faith argument that boils down to " i dont like melee sv, i liked ranged sv" thats made multiple paragraphs long by adding buzzwords like extremely problematic lmao. he just replies with the exact same post a couple thousand times for apparently no gain since even he knows no1 is reading these forums lol

2 Likes

Yea I don’t get it, they have two other options and its like there’s only survival, and then there’s only one class in the entire game.

Many of us used to main Survival when it was ranged. This isn’t a simple live-and-let-live situation. Melee Survival exists because ranged Survival was removed.

8 Likes

If you haven’t by now, you probably never will.

But either way, it’s not just about making it ranged again. I personally have no interest in replacing current SV at all, I just want RSV back. It’s about getting back the playstyle that was RSV prior to Legion. A playstyle that cannot be found anywhere else, not even in “the other two options”.

So no, there’s no alternative, there’s no other class that could provide what old RSV was all about.

The ranged vs. melee-argument that people are having time and time again stems from the above, but has more to do with the class as a whole, and what the majority of it’s players want when playing as hunters.

5 Likes

Is this Metrohaha (something like that) the Deathknight?

Edit: doesn’t appear to be the same according to achievement point and guild names.

new world out here already making twice as many ranged specs as blizz could come up with

4 Likes

Yeah but it’s new world :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

…is actually more fun than MSV on live.

Don’t @ me

3 Likes

So an MMO that looks to appeal to ranged, and I believe you to be a melee enthusiast, disgusts you? I know that’s only one part of it…

You mean MetroĂŽd?

Doubt it. Why?