So People are getting silenced for using Rare Share Addons

I’ll take the risk.

1 Like

It took Blizz forever to silence that guy spamming that The Ice Stone has melted!

4 Likes

You play on a dead server so I assume you mean you prefer general chat being totally devoid of text.

2 Likes

I play on a high population server and having 4 or 5 addons spam the same message gets annoying. When I play at this time or day or earlier, normal people without addons actually announce in chat ‘x’ rare is up.

Yesterday someone announced Soundless is up and people asked the guy to wait for him because he was in the middle of killing something else and people waited.

3 Likes

I have to agree. I’ve spent PLENTY of time in Mecha farming rares and it takes all of 2-3 sec to type out " rare is up". If people don’t use Handy Notes or some other type of addon that marks all the rare locations on their map then that’s on them, you don’t have to type out coordinates for them. And honestly, I’ve seen more people respond to the ones who use those announce addons by saying “I don’t have coords, where is that?” So it’s really not that big of a help anyway. This just seems like it’s making a huge deal out of something that isn’t really much of an issue.

2 Likes

Then why not just make a raid group and travel together? Timeless Isle those Rares. You don’t feel guilty, you don’t kill things alone and you don’t run afoul silences.

I’m going to have to disagree with you on that. Given the ridiculous spawn times on the rares, how many there are, and the various locations in which they can spawn, these addons are a necessity.

8 Likes

GOOD! They are annoying especially when 3-4-5 people in the zone have them. Now people are changing the defaults of them adding useless stuff. time rare died, like really. along with them spamming the zone. I mean with handy notes and times of respawns, these add ons are spammy and not needed.

9 Likes

That guy gets it.

What is happening is the rare announcer, which evidently gives things like the /loc and the percent health of the thing?

The issue seems to be that they are “automatic”, so it seems that the player is spamming.

What is probably happening is that a third party/parties, the other players in the zone, is/are reporting the spam. This is probably then autosilencing the person.

So your conspiracy theory is probably in error. I doubt if Blizzard is actually “doing” anything, in regard to such add ons.

I actually “manually” type a mob location, then only one people “want.” An example would be, “Hey guys, Rustfeather is up with no players here.” Then I wait a few minutes, engaging if no one pops along. I’ve never been silenced for this, since I’m not spamming.

I have noticed people doing it for the “commons”, like the Siren lady/murloc guy on that Island to the southwest; Now I finally “get it”, they probably had that add on, since at the time I was thinking, “Yeah, but those are ALWAYS around?”

2 Likes

On one server there used to be an entire guild that would mass report names and people in trade chat. Its automated so when you get to a certain number it screws people over that arent even breaking rules. Most appeals are automated too from what ive seen.

3 Likes

How is 30 minutes to an hour ridiculous ? Most of these are that at least in Mechagon which is where I see most of this addon spam.

2 Likes

It would be nice if raresannounce would have a non repeat feature if a a rare was already announced.

1 Like

These addons are obnoxious. I’ve seen multiple people spamming locations and health status of “rare” mobs like Nevermore when it’s not even the target of a WQ.

9 Likes

I doubt it’s automated, more than likely a bunch of players are reporting them as spam. One you get enough reports you get silenced, regardless of what you were talking about.

Maybe the people who are reporting this don’t fly. And because they can’t get to the rare fast enough – ie, before the flyers kill it – they feel this isn’t fair and they’re resentful.

3 Likes

While I understand exactly where you are coming from, it is sounding to me like people are getting squelched for spam? Then one of a few things is happening.

A) They do not understand the difference between a squelch and a silence. The squelch is being lifted once it is reviewed and no mark is on their record.

Or

B) The squelch was upheld and they were actually silenced for spam.

Either way, while I see the reasoning for these addons, they can be a little annoying and disruptive. I have never, nor will I personally ever report chat from these addons, and think doing so is spiteful. But others simply don’t want to see it.

If I see a rare like Rustfeather, I will announce it. But you better be close. I barely made it from town to Rustfeather and got one dismounted lightning bolt off before he died and I was already airborne when it was announced. So I get what you mean when you talk about the death note as well.

Perhaps, and this is just pure speculation on my part, people get mad when the rare dies before they get there. They start acting out in chat about why did you kill it so fast, why didn’t you wait I was on my way. Insults start flying both ways, and chat degrades into trash talk on both sides.

This may be a response to all of that? I don’t know. Personally I use an addon that lets me know when a rare or treasure chest is up. I will toss an announcement myself if I see one, and try to include coordinates.

However, as I have seen time and time again on the CS forums, the community has an input into what they feel is spam. And I have a feeling these are falling into the spam category.

Like I said, they don’t bother me, and I have benefited from the announcements in the past. But others simply may not want to see it. And telling them to not look at it simply doesn’t solve the issue. Pure speculation though.

1 Like

Yea it’s kinda lame to report for this. It’s not like it’s a sound or a verbal notice. Now that would be annoying. If a few lines of text to help out a fellow player is spam to you, well you have issues.

1 Like

Yeah let’s blame the players for Blizzard’s clear attempt to pad in a bunch of wait time and call it content.

Camping isn’t content - it wasn’t back when this was a thing in MMOs, and it isn’t now.

Coupled with the very low drop chances, It is just a pathetic attempt by Blizzard to sucker players into spending a bunch of time in game doing nothing, which means they don’t need to spend as much time or money creating playable content.

5 Likes

Sums up the player base well.

2 Likes

People asked for these rares. Blizzard actually put them on a very short respawn timer considering what they could have done.

3 Likes