So now that bfa is over

Well when they said we’d be “surprised” at who burned the tree down I knew they were full of it

6 Likes

One would think it would, but…yeah. Her character prior to BfA was cold and calculating but very rarely did she kill just because she could. She had a reason for just about everything she did.

Gilneas was a bit of a power play. She saw the worgen as a legitimate threat to her and her people. Garrosh also ordered her to do some things, but she did genuinely enjoy pillaging and plundering Gilneas I think. Like, it was probably fun for her to some degree.

The Sylvanas of then and the Sylvanas of now are barely the same character. I love her character and she is my favorite character in the entire game but…at this point I would prefer that they kill her off so that she doesn’t get dragged through the mud anymore.

3 Likes

Sylvanass is Morally cheese…

1 Like

Depends I guess.

They plan these expansions out ahead. So I think what they said will be more telling of what is to come in Shadowlands.

I mean if shes secretly working against the jailer why not ask for help instead of ,ya know, starting a war that helps the jailer, spitting on her allies, and yeeting herself out of the mortal world?

Weve conquered EVERY threat thats come our way. Killing basically god after God. But yeah this one we cant beat without an undercover ACTIVELY helping free said threat.

2 Likes

Attempted genocide of a race’s entire civilian population isn’t okay no matter what her reasoning was.

You have the anti-hero that you can argue the end justifies the means for … but trying to kill an entire race of people, along with all of the other evil things she’s done over the years (like the Wrathgate, or killing and raising her own troops or the plague-bombing of Gilneas, where she tried to commit genocide again) she is clearly irredeemably evil and whoever argues against that is either roleplaying a morally reprehensible character or are as much themselves. lol

Also, knowing Blizzard’s writing, her intentions are probably something stupid like turning everyone undead so they can better resist the void or some such nonsense.

6 Likes

(Cinematic)
Me: Omg! The Alliance striked first! Anduin is still mourning his dad that means Genn is in charge and want Sylvanas dead, because even after destroyed the lamp in Stormheim, rage overwhelms him.

Blizzard: Nope horde striked first. Sylvanas burnt Teldrasill, Horde Bad.

(DazarAlor Raid)
Me: Jessus! Mechatorke is dead! Jaina is severely wounded

Blizzard: Nah, was just a flesh wound. 8.2 Jaina K, 8.2.5 Mechatorke K.

(Patch 8.2)
Me: Dont tell me Sylvanas is just a Garrosh 2.0
Blizzard : Yes! But better! You guys didnt see it coming i bet!

(Patch 8.3).
Me: There it is! Anduin will sucumb to the whispers of N-

Blizzard: Nope, he guarded his sanity. Anduin good.

4 Likes

I don’t think it was, the writer is just suck at conveying it. Bad writer tend to do it, but i don’t think they intentionally trying to lie at you.

]

The only thing grey is her skin

2 Likes

See I have issues with people who think like this, because for starters, it feels like you’re getting too attached and defensive over a fictional character. I’m not going to argue that she isn’t evil, I even mentioned in my post that she’s frequently selfish in her actions. But to call other RL people evil or roleplayers simply because you disagree with their opinions is kind of childish. Some people like evil characters for their personalities. Doesn’t mean we are all serial killers in real life.

As for the other part of the argument that I’ve seen people get hung up on. There are night elf forces that live outside of the tree as well. Yes, a massive majority of them may have been incinerated, and btw, I don’t know what this exact number is because I don’t recall it ever being disclosed. So let’s assume it was 90% of the night elves residing on that tree that died. Let’s further assume, since it’s not confirmed yet, that Sylvanas needed to send a huge batch of souls to the Jailer to kickstart their secret plan (to let’s say, disable the Arbiter). Without these souls, it would have taken decades’ worth of natural deaths, and that’s even assuming that the Arbiter would send those dead to the Maw. What remains for me to see is what ultimate purpose those souls served, and if indeed, it served to free us from a greater evil, then no, I don’t mind that tree being burned down. It’s a story, sh!t happens that is not morally correct all the time.

So to reiterate, no I don’t like jumping to conclusions about the actions of a character before knowing the full story, and I’m not a serial killer for thinking that way :joy: I’ve killed far more alliance soldier NPCs in all my playtime than Sylvanas killed night elves. Get over it.

I’m still not sure why she burned the tree.

I’m also not sure why the alliance retook darkshore by landing directly between the horde controlled ashenvale and invading army.

2 Likes

oh… youre one of those people. You cant see the brick wall youre walking into

2 Likes

I can’t remember exactly what it was but I can tell you that it was very, very dumb. Think it was like the Alliance killed 2 goblins in Silithus or something. Meanwhile Alliance kills dozens of them with a lava ball for a world quest and nobody cares.

A dying Night Elf sassed her.

3 Likes

My bet is to send a lot of souls to her master in the Shadowlands, the war itself fullfilled that purpose.

And the Alliance just taked back darkshore because Tyrande gained a huge amount of power doing the forbidden ritual of the “Night warrior”

1 Like

I was looking forward to the cinematic. Speculating… When i saw her say… “Burn it!” I rolled my eyes and was done with the entire bfa story at that point.

4 Likes

Yeah but the entire invasion to get to that point involved something in Silithus. The whole thing was so contrived.

1 Like

Blizzard writers are super, super bad at things like tactics and logistics. Mostly because they just write to their desired outcome, rather than trying to make any of it make sense.

1 Like

Liking an evil character is one thing. Many on this forum try to argue that she is not evil when she clearly is though. That’s where I get hung up in these conversations.

I quite like a well written villain.

A good story doesn’t try and come up with idiotic justifications for its shocking moments. It doesn’t try and sweep them under the rug and ignore the ramifications of a character’s actions. A good story explores those.

Sylvanas has committed atrocities that make her irredeemable. If Blizzard gives her a redemption arc it will be nonsensical and hamfisted as anything they’ve ever done before.

“It was all according to my plan to save you that I couldn’t tell you about because you wouldn’t believe me even though you’ve fought the minions of literal space Satan, Eldritch horrors and a whole heap of other things…”

It’s a bad story. Let the moment remain as it is, which is very powerful. Explore that in Shadowlands but don’t degrade it with such tripe.

I kind of doubt that.

Anyway, in conclusion… evil characters done well are great. For an example in Warcraft, see Arthas. Evil characters done poorly feel like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Sylvanas is dangerously close to the latter.

7 Likes

My dude i had the same reaction when she yelled FOR THE HORDE in the cinematic

How did noone lol at hearing that super out of character line is beyond me

5 Likes