So many players buy gold off 3rd party website

The wow token will fix people buying off sketchy websites. SO MANY PEOPLE BUY GOLD! We need a WoW token in Classic ASAP

8 Likes

Do you understand the theory behind it?

Basically blizzard sets the pricepoint of gold instead of the farmers.

So they have to now sell below blizzard to incentivize. So the gold becomes cheaper.

This is their job, I playd with poeple who turned out to be indo, chinese, filipino and their SOURCE OF INCOME and livelyhood was a farm houes.

They will never stop. And wow token just inflates the economy and lets people spend their welfare and stimulus on 1400 in WoW.

4 Likes

So would perma banning them.

11 Likes

Actually it doesn’t fix RMT because if it were true then it would have fixed RMT in retail. Instead the gold token only enables the RMT because gold can be turned into new accounts with battlenet currency purchased in gold with the wow token. That can then be used to expand further. The gold botters no longer need to take your account, they no longer need to cheat the system, instead they benefit from the system.

The only two things gold sellers do that’s not in line with the rules of the game now days are selling gold and botting.

Players buying the wow tokens indirectly pay for the accounts of bots and blizzard makes a profit.

7 Likes

The WoW token provides a way for gold selling websites to cut the costs of subscriptions as they can purchase tokens with gold farmed by bots to pay for subscriptions.

So actually, no. Tokens make bots worse. If anything they should remove tokens from retail as bots are probably using retail tokens to sub for free to bot in Classic.

4 Likes

They pay for subscriptions in cash. The amount of gold to buy a token is worth far more than the $3 it costs for a WoW sub via VPN to Argentina.

You were almost halfway there…

Blizzard doesn’t want to set the price too low because it devalues every one of their products forever into the future so they have to be real careful. But yea… the general logic is that it disincentivizes 3rd gold selling because people will be more inclined to buy from Blizz if the price is even comparable, and if the price drops low enough it no longer becomes as profitable.
Its also the same logic as lifting various embargoes. If you take the money away from the black market you defund other parallel industries that thrive in those spaces as well (like botting and account hacking)

… Do you play retail?

No it doesn’t.

3 Likes

people will buy gold wherever they please, supply and demand economy. Blizzard is just getting in on the economy. good on them, except they destroyed the d3 auction house, the most lucrative of the ecos.

I can say though living in Canada where the same logic was applied to the specis cann a bis , the black market will find a way to survive when their income depends on it.

It will really only compete with NA based Goldfarming and not make a dent in asian markets. I think its why the chinese got the token first to stop it but they realise it can’t stop the fact people do this to exist.

There are zero reasonable arguments against a legitimate wow token for classic and tbc.

A legitimate wow token is healthier for the game.

1 Like

How? That would literally just make them go buy an account, then buy more gold on said account.

As for banning bots, well…they’re bots. They just bot more. The ONLY reasonable thing to combat gold buying is to introduce the wow token. I have yet to hear a better alternative, and every other MMO has yet to come up with an alternative either.

Not really. The best solution would be GMs for the servers to try and police the obvious botting.

WoW tokens is the corporate suit solution that doesn’t cost a paycheque and makes money.

Which was more authentic to classic TBC?

4 Likes

Blizz does not set the price point on WoW tokens, it’s from player demand. Gold farmers will still exist with WoW tokens, but to say there will be just as many is silly (and flat wrong, unless you think no one will use the WoW tokens).

People already spend thousands on classic and blizz hardly bans them anyways. Classic is already pay2win and always has been. The only downside of adding WoW tokens is taking away the illusion of fairness in the game. But since it’s just an illusion anyways that really isn’t too big of a downside.

Gold buying was just as big of a problem in vanilla/tbc, so neither.

I would believe the WoW token if it wasn’t demonstrably false as botter in retail still exist to farm gold.

It will just inflate the economy more.

2 Likes

It still existing in retail doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be an even bigger problem in retail without it.

If we had WoW tokens probably most players who buy gold now would buy through blizzard, which means that most of the gold botted now is no longer needed and we’d have at least slightly less bots than before.

As well, we’d have a bigger player base from all the people who normally wouldn’t pay $15/month but can easy earn enough gold for a WoW token.

If that feeling of fairness even if that fairness isn’t actually there is worth more to you then I get that, but I’d really rather be able to play for free myself.

2 Likes

“Gold buying is bad! Let people buy gold more easily!”
No. Go back to retail, you rat. Ban gold buyers.

4 Likes

Banning the buyers is very effective because they are set back weeks or even months to catch back up on gear, not to mention loss of a raid spot or arena titles and mounts.

Banning the buyer is the only way. That and eliminate the gold token to battlenet currency translation, because that’s how the botters constantly get new accounts so rapidly.

4 Likes

How do you know?