So is Deathwing chillin in shadowlands?

Even creations of the Old Gods, mainly the Apir and their decedents can go to the shadowlands. During the Kyrian WQ Limbo, one of the scenarios you are given is a mantid soldier who died fighting a necromancer. You are told he was revived and succeeded in killing the necromancer by the Kyrian overseer instead of going to the shadowlands. Unlike say a naaru which couldn’t go the shadowlands since they have a really strong connection to the Order of Light.

Honestly that WQ is a treasure trove of lore. Should screenshot both the correct and wrong answers and make a thread about it.

Blizz is nothing but retcon this, retcon that. It’s cheap and lazy and just makes the story previously established matter not. So therefore, none of the story matters. If it can all be changed with every expansion, the story/lore does not matter at all. Might as well do what most people do and just click “complete quest” and “accept” without reading text at all. When the cinematic plays, go use the restroom.

I’m kidding bro. I’m kidding. I’m not really that negative.

1 Like

Alternatively, they could make him look like his purple Dark Nexus skin in Heroes of the Storm. He can be a surprise boss when we eventually have that Void raid.

Or you know the current lore can exist with the new one, at least in this instance. We know certain people can create there own afterlives(like say Odyn and Bwonsamedi). This particular afterlife was only for Azeroth’s avian creatures so it makes me think it was artificial in nature. I’d also point out G’hanir has been dead for 10,000 years.

1 Like

he merged with old god tentacle powers
i say he is where the old gods go

He’s in tentacle heaven with Y’Shaarj and the old gods who have permanently died.

Majority of Shadowlands was just poor writing. Most of the entire playerbase can attest to that. However it could also be stated that Lady Vashj was the exception, but not the rule.

Personally I’d like:

• To reveal a conspiracy in the Shadowlands that souls can’t actually ‘Die’ there. They simply reincarnate in physical world without memory or pass on to the ‘True Afterlife’. "This is what the symbol of Oribos represents."
  • Along with later revealing through the Pantheon of life that wild gods & loa that die in the Shadowlands are reborn in the physical universe with their memory as mortals, with a chance to either live out their days or regain their former power and glory, which could make for quite a bit of fun content & questlines etc too (We could also bring back our boi Ursoc / give Guardian druid RP community some love).

That’d actually make for some good content. :open_mouth:
Like, freeing Neltharion’s soul who was screaming out to be free before his controlled body does something terrible, unknown to the horrors committed in his absence. Along with some heart-wrenching quotes thrown in to poke the feels: “You must warn my closest friend! Tell Alexstrasza! Please!

1 Like

I mean from what we’ve seen in Shadowlands I can’t imagine he’s chillin. He’s bein put to work somewhere.

Or maybe he’s so infused with Order magic and Void magic that when he died his soul was split into two parts - an order part and a void part and the order part cannot believe the actions the void part did while the void part was running around in his body.

And the void part was all “I did this because it was unfair that Order just led to all my children dying to stuff and that’s not right because everyone dies and that’s unfair.” Then when the Order part is saved and we defeat the void part we punish him for the stuff he did as the Void part.

… too soon?

Okay fine maybe him and Malygos are chillin in a really big afterlife (so they can spread their wings) drinking some sort of draconic alcoholic beverages watching Azeroth on wide screen TV. Just them, some other dead dragons, and a few servants who are slowly turning into draconids because that’s a thing. Maybe Galakrond can come too. And they take turns flying laps to power some windmills that provide electricity to Oribos.

No physical assault, however immense, can destroy him. He must be… unmade . His very essence must be unraveled, and the Dragon Soul alone has the power to do so."

I don’t think there’s anything left of him to even be in the Shadowlands. They had to erase him on a fundamental level to kill him.

It wouldnt make any difference to how bad Shadowlands was, but it wouldve been more interesting to see how are lore characters doing in the afterlife.

Instead of random OC donut steel getting the spotlight for whaever reason.

This is part of my headcanon with the Madness of Deathwing fight. N’zoth takes full control. He rips off the strings and begins to handle the puppet directly. I also like to imagine that N’zoth ate Xavius’ soul at the end of the Emerald Nightmare raid. Blizzard could’ve done a version of the good Doctors death scene from Disneys Princess and the Frog. With Xavius begging to be given another chance with the Nightmare only to be gobbled up by N’zoth. Hence why Xavius reverts back to his night elf form once the Nightmare is mostly gone from the Dream.

Yeah, I’m pretty tired of Blizzard’s retcons. They should think about what they have first of all.

Probably not.

Given his corruption by the void, it’s likely that he was taken by the Void Lords to their cosmic realm. Not all souls go to the Shadowlands.

Agreed. Blizzard retconning at the seat of their pants gets annoying real quick. It is one way to make the audience lose invested interest in the story and characters. Shadowlands was the worst for it. Not only because of “It was Zovaal all along” but they changed the backstory of a character a patch after introducing them.

1 Like

That afterlife was destroyed when she died. And so was everything in it. It’s center piece was a tree whose only remnant was the Druid Restoration Staff in Legion.

She did get better though, she was resurrected in Cataclysm along with the rest of the Ancients I’m not sure about her realm though, as the staff in Legion is still referenced as only the remnant of the Tree that was the centerpost of the realm.

1 Like

I think it depends on whether there was anything of Neltharion left inside his body at that point. If what the others suggest were true, e.g. Nzoth was the one in his body at that point, then Blizzard could theoretically write him back in. It’d be crappy storytelling if they did though, it’s better to write a new character than constantly recycle the same character over and over.
That said, I’ve always wondered how they would redeem souls like Arthas, Neltharion, Malygos, etc.

Deathwing wasn’t really anything but a tool of the Old Gods as his description in DS states his soul was all but devoured I doubt anything really remained of Nelfarion the Old Gods drove him mad and twisted his soul to the point it eventually left nothing but the entity known as ‘Deathwing’ left.

Tragic really.

Only if it’s relevant to the story. Swamp Thing visits Tom Holland and his wife in their private Heaven, to reconnect with the original mortal who had that name in the progression of his own journey of self discovery.

He, unless it’s been otherwise stated, would most likely be in G’Hanir.

G’Hanir, also called the Mother Tree and the Great Bough,[1] is the domain of the Wild God Aviana. It is located in the Emerald Dream and is the tallest tree, atop the tallest peak, the peak, with its fruit containing the seeds of all Azerothian trees. It serves as an afterlife for all winged creatures of Azeroth including even dragons, all of which could be seen flying amongst its many branches.[2][3]

G’Hanir died with its mistress Aviana when she was killed by demons of the Burning Legion during the War of the Ancients, and the tree lost all its leaves. However, Aviana set out to restore it in Cataclysm after her resurrection,[2] and as of Warlords of Draenor it seems to be operational as Aviana sought to invite the arakkoa and offer them a place on the Mother Tree.[1]

They seem to of quietly retconned G’hanir because it is in conflict with shadowlands lore at the same time they yanked wild gods from going to the Dream to recharge to going to Ardenweald. Dragons likely get treated like any other soul and sent off to the realm the arbiter deems them suited to. Elemental protodrakes might be a special case, as they are essentially more elemental than mortal, so they might just… cease to be on azeroth as it is their native plane.

Deathwing was so void corrupted it is likely whatever was left of his mangled soul went to the void.