So is Deathwing chillin in shadowlands?

I assume the other aspect made it here yes?

Basically yes.

There is no other option for him to my knowledge, he cant have gone to the Void realm as that is not what allies of the void go etc, most mortal or immortal servants go to the shadowlands.

I suppose this is the reason that there is a possibility that Helya joined the mawsworn after her “Death” or before.

I think Deathwing is just gone, and perhaps has been gone for a long time. Let’s look at his final description before we destroy what was left of him:

A warped mass of molten hatred and unfathomable power, this formless, mindless horror cannot be stopped. Whatever was left of Neltharion the Earth-Warder is long gone, his mind and soul corrupted and devoured by his Old God masters. All this monstrous being desires is destruction, annihilation, and the end of all things.

We destroyed his mortal form but the Old Gods ate his soul a long time ago.

11 Likes

Since they talked in DS about how Deathwing had to be completely and utterly unmade or else he’d just regenerate, I don’t think a soul was left behind.

Do we even know where dragon souls go naturally after death? Can’t use Ysera as an example because she was artificially dumped in Ardenweald by Elune.

5 Likes

Before the Ardenweald retcon they went to G’Hanir, as shown in the WotA books. Who knows anymore.

13 Likes

Oh, right, I forgot Avianna(probably spelt that wrong) had her own personal afterlife in the Emerald dream for all winged creatures. Thanks for the reminder :gift_heart:

5 Likes

Well Malygos would be a way to know, if we knew where he went.

4 Likes

They go to the shadowlands. They are not aligned with any major “Force” (death order etc).

They are basically the same case as an intelligent beast creature. So yes Some realm in the shadowlands.

1 Like

So I wonder if we’ll see the Dragon Afterlife at all if we see Deathwing again.

Pretty sure if we ever see Deathwing again it’ll be because one of the Old Gods spat his soul up in a new flesh sack. Not sure what happens to souls that the Old God’s devour but I doubt they make it to the Shadowlands.

I think the chances are higher that blizzard forgot that stuff than them remembering it.

1 Like

This phrase makes me believe that Madness of Deathwing was basically N’zoth taking full control of the drivers seat. Which makes N’zoths death even more pathetic =(

1 Like

Deathwing is only gone and dead if we see him in Shadowlands or they mention it. It is not uncommon for writers to leave things vague so he might make a return.

But was he truly unmade?

1 Like

Well yeah, if he wasn’t then he would have regenerated like they said. That he didn’t do so means he was in fact unmade.

But how fast would he regenerate? I did not see a dragon be unmade I saw a dragon sink into the maelstrom on defeat.

If Deathwing is seen in the Shadowlands, we have to ask will he be Deathwing the Destroyer or Neltharion the Earth-Warder once more. After all he was corrupted by the old god themselves, over joining as many within the Twilight Cult did.

It also raises the question are those tricked, deceived, and manipulated into servicing forces like the Old Gods purified and sent to their chosen after life or do they have to spend time in Revendreth first to examine what qualities within them allowed for said manipulation to work in the first place?

Deathwing’s more than likely completely gone, if anything of his soul made it to the Shadowlands I doubt it would have cohesion and would likely just be a mass of anima.

The other dead Aspect, Malygos, is another matter, though I assume he’s either in a place specifically for dragons, or maybe beings of Arcane. We really don’t know for sure, we haven’t seen any dragons in the main hub Shadowlands at all, barring a dracolich imported to Maldraxxus by the Brokers, and then Ysera herself. And Ysera’s up in the air because she either went there due to being the Aspect of Nature, or she was actively sent there by Elune, or both.

deathwing should be in the shadowlands, unless n’zoth specifically took his entire soul and used his body as a void puppet.

deathwing was corrupted by the void, but so are all naga, and lady vashj made it to the shadowlands just fine. so void corruption, even to the point of mutation, seems to not be everything that’s needed to get you on a trip to the void upon death. i’d assume you would have to be corrupted entirely to the point of being a true void entity to make it to the void.

whether that’s what deathwing was or not, we can’t really know. blizzard is far too inconsistent with the color schemes of magic, it would make all of this much more cut and dry if they’d stick to each power having its own set of colors.

1 Like

Another dragon seen is Sapphiron. Though he’s only seen in the Necrolord Campaign. It’s the second to last chapter, when Kel’Thuzad usurps control of the House of Rituals from the Margrave.

He summoned Sapphiron to deal with them, and though not explained as why the dragon obeyed, I just figured Kel’Thuzad used his magic to enslave Sapphiron under his will.

Note: Sapphiron’s Shadowlands appearance has that green hint showing alignment with Maldraxxus. So he could have either gone to Maldraxxus per the Arbiter or it’s a side effect of Kel’Thuzad getting ahold of him and what not.