So, I Played The Alliance Broken Shore *And*

I’d imagine the Alliance would be somewhat familiar with the Horde retreat trumpet noise.

It’s just weird they assume this is a double cross. When the enemy is The Burning Legion. This is not a foe you can parley with. If this happened during the Iron Horde invasion I could understand the suspicion but how does the Horde come out on top of letting the doom of all creation win?

1 Like

I always thought it was more nuanced than that but this is the Story Forum. Nobody here does nuanced.

I mean, I get it, Dark Rangers are good at what they do but they aren’t That good.

Didn’t the alliance also bring Gryocopter pilots with them too? I know we saw a few of them buzzing around during the cinematic. Makes one wonder why more weren’t called in, or the Gryphon Riders with their magical hammers and have them mess up the demons day for a bit.

That’s another cool aspect that gets criminally under used. The Wildhammer Gryphon Riders.

3 Likes

Why do you think the alliance thinks the horde is a rational faction? There’s even precedent with that one place in northrend that’s not the wrathgate.

1 Like

iirc a big part of the “trap” was feigning urgency so that the horde/alliance came with minimal numbers and didn’t bring in entire fleets/armies ready to go.

I would imagine that if the full force of the horde/alliance was able to be brought to bear, that artillery/mages alone could have turned the demons on the broken shore into a greasy stain.

Needed an actual computer to type.

Broken Shore, Alliance and Horde separate. Both go in, supposedly under the expectation that if they fall here Azeroth is just doomed so it’s either victory or death.

They fight, and the Horde gets overrun, Sylvanas calls for the retreat after Vol’jin blocks a felguard blade with his stomach.

Genn and Varian see that the Dark Rangers are retreating. While Genn instantly believes betrayal, leaving the Alliance to die, Varian looks more shocked; perhaps he feels she did betray them by running when things were getting dicey, perhaps he thought they were using this to get rid of them. Don’t matter because he decides to solo a fel reaver before getting disenchanted.

Now here is where that nuanced thing comes from. As far as I can tell, the only one who sees what happened at the Broken Shore as betrayal was Genn and Jaina. In fact, I’ll have to re-read Before the Storm Anduin straight up asks Sylvanas to her face did she betray Varian, because so far he’d only heard from Genn and he wasn’t completely sure if he believed it or not. And based on her little internal monologue when hit with that question, it turned out that Sylvanas actually did feel bad about leaving Varian to his fate like they did.

Now, because Blizzard is absolute garbage, we now KNOW it was a convenient double cross for Sylvanas for Maw Covenant Sylvanas but we’re going to ignore that because that’s stupid.

3 Likes

ICC? Yeah it’s very dumb how the Horde and Alliance are attacking eachother there. It’d be dumb normally but it’s particularly insane when this is the Lich King’s capitol. Every dead body on either side isn’t just a loss to your manpower it’s a gift to his.

But that’s mutual lunacy.

2 Likes

Not talking about the gunship battle. The one where the horde attacks the alliance from behind.

1 Like

Oh, the one where Garrosh and company ambushed the Alliance? It was at one of the gates just before the Wrath Gate that led to ICC I believe.

Okay so according to Hordeposters, the Alliance is supposed to have all meta-knowledge of the lore and supposed to know what’s going on before it even happens.

I suppose that goes along with their whiny narrative of the Alliance having all the “overpowered” characters. :man_shrugging:

Is that before or after they send a whole fleet to attack the Forsaken for no adequately explored reason?

1 Like

The destruction of Gilneas and murder of Genn’s son is a pretty good reason for Genn to attack them.

2 Likes

Not in the context of a Legion invasion.

3 Likes

I was referencing the Howling Fjord.

3 Likes

Disregarding the fact that the Horde and Alliance were not at peace at the time, you see a fleet of run-down ships with skull and death motifs, filled with undead creatures floating around Northrend, the “home” territory of the Scourge and seat of the Lich King’s power…

“Nah, let’s leave them alone, they’re probably on our side.”

2 Likes

I’m of the belief that attacking the undead and Sylvanas is always a good reason. Especially when you consider Wrathgate, which may or may not be spearheaded by Sylvanas.

2 Likes

So Stormwind attacks because they’re racists?

Would explain why they left the Nelves to their own devices and deployed them as sacrificial lambs in BoD.

The only similarity between Scourge and Forsaken forces is the use of Abominations as heavy troops.

Otherwise the Forsaken use canons, knights, riflemen, Lancers, footmen, Apothecaries. You know, fight like an army.

As opposed to the Scourge who floods stuff with ghouls and skeletons and other stuff with no self preservation instinct.

1 Like

You heard it here first, folks. Attacking undead monstrosities who want to consume your flesh is… racist. :joy:

3 Likes

I presume you’d also be fine if the Sin’Dorei torched a bunch of Velves because they look an awful like lot Black Empire Cultist using that logic?

2 Likes

If you would, can you point out the quests where Alliance attacked a Forsaken Fleet? Because I honestly didn’t even remember the Forsaken were in the Howling Fjord.

Now I do remember the Alliance capturing a zepplin and forcing them to help bomb…something undead either vrykul, Scourge or it could have been the Forsaken.