So i hear they are intending to update old armor appearances

With the help of AI
:thinking:
so everyone might get updated bikini armor.
and the older gear might actually match the newer gear in transmog sets.

just curious what folks here’s thought’s on such rumors?

4 Likes

Ehh I’m not a NPC that gets triggered by the words AI so i don’t care.

Most of the time when AI art is used if there was no AI option then a real artist wouldn’t have been used anyways. ( key all the ai portraits people use on social media, none of those people would have paid an actual artist)

2 Likes

Sounds ok to me. They are just using a computer to upscale their own assets that they created originally.

Art team can be plugging it into the AI while they work on other stuff. Plug in, fix, it comes out done.

4 Likes

i imagine they’d use the ai to help improve it, an use the art team to fix any issues.

3 Likes

Where’d you hear that.

It would be cool if they did update the pre-Cata textures. Because a lot of them are…rough. I guess I just assumed that they had the original files around somewhere.

1 Like

Citation needed.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kraulspine/status/1700242966332297293

3 Likes

Yeah hopefully so art team can focus on modern stuff

2 Likes

hmm… Based on that mail shoulder example, I figure they’re still in the experimenting phase (since those results aren’t particularly impressive). Assuming it’s not just something a random dev was just messing around with.

1 Like

would be nice to see, start with the classic gear, update them old stuff like the bikini armor.
maybe the chainmail hood too.

2 Likes

Well, there was this, along with something similar for classic questing gear iirc (I just can’t find it atm):

So it’s probably something that’s on their radar. Just remains to be seen how/if they decide to do it.

Edit: Found it.

2 Likes

I’ll be impressed if they make the trees in the older zones up to date. They really date those places.

3 Likes

If they do this, maybe they’ll accidentally fix where they set the Blade of Misfortune’s blade texture to that of Shaarde the Greater’s blade texture in 7.0.3. But considering they haven’t fixed that >6-year-old issue, I don’t have faith that they won’t screw up somewhere in the process of AI-upscaling all of the old textures. :dracthyr_shrug:.

Still, as long as there’s no goof-ups then this would probably be a net positive.

4 Likes

I like your new mog!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Source plz

Post 5 or 6 has the twitter source.

3 Likes

it really depends if they bother to update/change the old models otherwise it’ll still look like crap because of how low-poly a lot of the classic-cata models are

They’re going to touch up some old stuff?

I’m happy to hear that if the rumors are true. Some of the old stuff is nice and if it gets a higher res, it’s just more transmog options for us players that otherwise show their age trying to mix and match pieces.

3 Likes

Cataclysm was actually when they started to give armor models more volume. So that everything didn’t look paper thin with just some texture painted on. That was also when they doubled the size of the texture files, from like 128 pixels wide to 256.

1 Like

Sounds too good to be true. We’ll see I guess.

2 Likes