So I guess the level squish is official now

When lawyers, politicians, PR reps, advertisers and marketers speak… I’ve learned never to infer more than they actually state, and to take their words very literally.

“we need to be more willing” is obfuscate-speech for “we’re thinking about ‘thinking about it’. Don’t hold your breath, because that’s all we’re saying that we will do.”

3 Likes

A bit like that “improved communication” they’ve promised but never actually delivered on…for years now.

Also, from the lead and dev team that guts more content from the game each release like its a friggin fire sale.

8 Likes

I wish they would.

You missed the endless AP grind in legion then. That would have been completed in the year 8000, give or take.

The one that people would have to had will their accounts to subsequent generations to see completed.

1 Like

Like i said, and you left out of the same quote, take it with a grain or even bucket of salt.

1 Like

If the still have World scaling in game it dosen’t matter what they squish it will still be a sht game,it is bad atm and i do not see them focused on the issues they need to fix,this is just smk up an azz is all.

1 Like

No i didn’t, i was grinding AP when i came back. Didn’t bother me one bit.

Enjoyment is clearly no longer one of their metrics.

If the survey comes right out and asks if you would buy a boost, what makes anybody think they plan to make leveling take less time or be more enjoyable/rewarding? To sell more boosts, the opposite (making leveling as miserable as possible) would be to their benefit.

Classic can’t come soon enough. Can’t wait to go back to playing an MMORPG made by gamers for gamers. <3

7 Likes

No, it doesn’t, just like you don’t need to post anymore. It’s bad enough you’re on here lying about things that never happened (boar challenge - sure thing, bud) but also advocating for stupid crap.

7 Likes

except it’s 1-120 right now, not 1-100.

and yes it would be a psychological fix since humans are emotional creatures. we want stuff to feel good. To feel meaningful and to have an impact. It is at times hard as well to get new players to actually join the game with saying “Oh the game starts at max level, you now have 120+ levels go get through! or you could just buy your way up.”

The boar challenge was a player thing that people did after the stupid south park episode were they leveled (in that episode) to 60 in Elwynn only on boars. People wondered if that was actually possible in the game with just the “boar” part. Since it’s impossible to level off just Elwynn boars.

And you know, it is in fact possible to level from 1-60 on just boars. It is also possible to level to 70 off just boars before level scaling thanks to the hellfire boars.

Another Challenge people did was Ironman; No deaths no gear past common quality no talents.

And yes, the level squish needs to happen. Instead of just trying to bandaid fix it over and over, they should just rebuild the leveling system and if that includes a squish, so be it. Especially with OLD blizzard’s cut and burn attitude (well it never really changed), the content would continue to get broken more and more as more Gear squishes happen.

A proper lvl squish with a proper gear squish can set WoW up for expansions to come so that we don’t need what happened at the start of BfA’s squish. Which was a squish ontop of a squish. Now let’s go 6 expansions down the line with the gear inflation rate with a squish every 2 expansions and everything would be worse off than it is now. Retooling the whole system from the ground up if they want to continue to release content is needed.

Trust me, I get that…and anyone actually paying attention since wod does as well.

But, since we’re giving them the benefit of the doubt to the lip service they’re paying to the idea…there it is.

Without being tongue in cheek, I would say if they actually focused on making an enjoyable game, one without gimmicks (metric padding, content gutting, needless gating of content, RNG grindfests, real quality content) that they would actually see a real and genuine appreciation from their customers in the form of increased revenue, potential return of customers, and good word of mouth advertising again.

What they had before they started drastically cutting corners to deliver sub par product.

Newsflash: that wasn’t “OLD” blizzard. That’s the current lead and dev team…you know, the same ones your side is blindly trusting to do the level squish (removal) correctly. Even though they’ve completely botched TWO squishes AND scaling completely.

Because the same people who couldn’t do TWO squishes right (which you FINALLY admitted to by they way) will somehow get this right in one go. Because reasons. While we’re at it, why don’t we trust that they’ll also get one of the many other current issues they’ve left broken for years fixed at the same time as well!

4 Likes

And it’ll last maybe one level. Maybe two.

It not going to compensate for forcing new players through content that’s 15 years old or charging them $60 or $40 to skip to the CURRENT game content.

It’s shoddy slight-of-hand desperation to drum up interest and, almost certainly, an excuse to re-price level boosts so that more people will buy them at the lower rate.

And it leaves the new player experience right where it is… in history. Which may be fine for diehard nostalgic Classic fans, but if this game is to survive it needs to attract NEW players too.

3 Likes

Where’s this survey? I never got one. I’d love to smash the dislikes for this horrendous idea…

1 Like

If there going to do a squish, it makes no sense to boost at all until the squish is finished and live.

It seems likely that the price of boosts will come down to $40, so yeah, I’d definitely wait.

The level squish would be a perfect time to fix the Blood Elf intro so that they can have a Pandaren-like faction choice.

They say truth is stranger than fiction.

Looks like they were right.

The first squish didn’t have mistakes. It had challenges (that Blizzard admitted at the time) due to the fact that stat inflation was fairly linear up through WoLK and then took off in Cataclysm and Mists which meant that the expansions would not scale in a linear fashion post squish thus the DPS aura in older instances needed to cover the gap.

Stat inflation for the 2nd squish happened across a larger range with more expansions now on the back end of the non-linear range which made that squish smoother.

Zone and character scaling were implemented afterwards which makes the experience much smoother as expansions are now grouped and zones largely all scale the same. There are a few outliers, like General Marstone in Silverpine Forest who is terribly overpowered even for an elite quest NPC you attack with 3 assisting NPC’s but 99.95% works just fine.

Cutting character levels across already functionally scaled zones is unlikely to break anything given they would just be turning the dial back 30 to 50%.

Squishes do work for their intended function, resetting exponential stat inflation. Stat inflation itself is the problem due to 4 difficulties of content with always upwards scaling Warforging and Titanforging designed to keep players pulling that slot machine lever. Removing the need for squishes would require drastically reducing stat inflation over the course of an expansion which would thus reduce your character’s power progression.

1 Like

“It didn’t go as planned. We are calling it a ‘challenge’.”

Because this dev team does one thing (among others) really well: put a spin on their failures.

You do know when the first one happened, right? 6.0.2

So, they had more of the game behind it than ahead of it at that point…and even with the same lead and dev team steering the ship from that point forward, they couldn’t get it right. Enter the SECOND squish, which we’re supposed to believe fixed everything.

Now, we’re supposed to believe that compounding all this with level squishing (removal) will be the REAL fix. For realsies this time, promise!

4 Likes

They also love to look at their single 2 (yes, they have one random 2 card) and go all in… even though they’re playing roulette…

TLDR: They’re not even in the game anymore.

4 Likes