So Ardenweald story is as much troll as night elf?

https://i.imgur.com/SJm3cvC.jpg
You got my hopes up.

Side tangent, but while not 100% accurate, last time i checked Horde was almost entirely made of blood elf characters.

It’s part of a series of items you buy to get the toy from Griftah. Apparently it only shows up if you have a specific item in your bags to buy it. But it still exists.

2 Likes

Yes they did. Or rather, the people you refer to as kaldorei highborne are the same people as the blood elves and nightborne. In some cases, the same individuals even. Where do you think the highborne went? Some became naga, while the rest became blood elves and nighborne.

From the wiki:
“As the titan-forged began shaping Azeroth, Keeper Freya wandered the world, creating enclaves of life and nature in the places where the waters of the Well of Eternity had coalesced, such as Un’Goro Crater, Sholazar Basin and the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. The greatest creatures to emerge from Freya’s enclaves were the colossal Wild Gods.”
And I don’t it’s a coincidence that the vast majority of Wild gods, loa or otherwise, are overgrown animals. Course there are excpetions like Aessina, and Cenarius.

1 Like

Because it directly contradicts previous canon?

1 Like

No, they aren’t.
Kal’dorei: Formerly immortal.
Quel’Dorei: Haven’t been immortal since they were banished from nelf land. They lived and bred and died, and their children lived and bred and died.

This doesn’t exactly contradict my claim? “Especially powerful animals” is what i’d call most wild gods, loa included.
Also, from Ursoc’s bio, he and his brother Ursol began as two normal bear cubs, that then grew massive. Not because of Freya, she simply met them and saw that they were special.

But why should Bwonsamdi, of all the loa, be the only one who get’s a divine/mystical origin? Everyone else, sans Mueh’zala himself, who’s origins we don’t know much about, had rather humble beginnings. Why should a troll loa stand above all other wild gods?

2 Likes

I don’t really mid this tbh. He’s a Loa who looks like a troll, is much smaller vs other Loa such as Rezan, and even hangs out with mortal females (?).

It shows that if you’re a mortal and work really hard, you might become a God one day!

You could just as easily ask “Why should Elune be the only ‘true goddess’ in the Warcraft-verse?” Sometimes a little bit of not everything being 100% standardized spices things up.

(Note to prevent misinterpretation: I am not saying Elune should not be a goddess. I’m saying that not everything has to fit into a neat pattern.)

Plus, the question you asked was “Why does it hurt you so much?”–not “Why shouldn’t it be this way?” Retcons with no clear benefit are just annoying for their own sake. That’s why it hurts. If Bwonsamdi hadn’t previously been something bigger, I doubt anyone would care much about his new backstory.

9 Likes

The Night Elven savagery concept comes from the fact they were intended to be a mixture of D&D’s Dark Elves and Wood Elves—Elune is basically Eilistraee repackaged.

We have not gotten to really see much of the Lowborne culture, but it seems to of been a lot more akin to the modern Night Elves, which is why Azshara was fine with letting demons eat them all. They were uncivilized and as far as she cared entirely lesser to her.

1 Like

Well you said roided, roided means someone injected someone with stuff for more power, not that they were powerful of their own accord.

1 Like

Fine. “Animals of unusual size, strength and ability” doesn’t quite roll of the tongue the same way.

1 Like

Bwonsamdi after retcon: Mortal made into a wild god.
Animal Wildgods: Already wild gods, just made more powerful by a titan.

Bwonsamdi sort of makes a lot more sense as an elevated mortal. He was REALLY weird compared to every other Loa. His trickster hero story of a normal priest who wheeled and dealed himself over thousands of years into eventually the position of ultimate authority in The Other Side by investing into the Horde Champion is sorta compelling to me. Plus he legit cares about the trolls, and at risk to himself preserves every troll soul from falling into the Maw. I for sure cannot say the same for Elune. I am admittedly a sucker for trickster god stories, though.

It however does lead to a bit of a recursion issue of if Bwonsamdi was elevated by Mueh’zala… then who elevated Mueh’zala? He very much seems to fit the same physical look of an elevated troll as well.

9 Likes

Maybe Mueh’zala created the trolls as a ‘servant’ race?

I’m okay with it IF the origin of Mueh’zala is that he was the “First Troll” who died, in that cusp between “animal” and “normal mortal”, and that’s why he has such unique powers that he then granted to Bwonsamdi.

My money is on the Trolls being made by the First Ones directly or something

I believe Muezhala is a natural Loa, whatever that might be.

If we have a Wisp wildgod, a Troll looking wildgod is completely plausible, maybe he is something the World soul of Azeroth created or gave power in its sleep.

3 Likes

I could see trolls being a creation of Azeroth herself, certainly, and perhaps Mueh’zala being elevated by her through intent or accident one. He presumably was not always such a terrible monster of a guy. Lines up with the fact that Trolls in general seem to be the only natural mortal race that exists on the planet, particularly if you go with the theory Elune reshaped the Dark Trolls to be in her image (which certainly seems to be the case, all evidence considered).

I thought trolls weren’t considered to be natural anymore ever since one of the Chronicles books stated that the well of eternity affected the evolution of all things, just at different rates depending on how closely you lived to it?

Thats correct