SMS Discrimination - low income (prepaid)

First , I have played Warcraft over the last 13 years and have a LONGTIME verified account, ID, previously authenticated, even attended Blizzcon.

Recently, there was a change the REQUIRES a mobile authenticator AND SMS to post listings in the in-game groupfinder such as Mythic+ , world bosses, raid groups etc. I dont have an issue reattaching my authenticator again, I have ALREADY had tickets about this and send in my ID to remove my old one to set up this new one.
–Should I HAVE to change my phone number That i have had for years???
– For my work, I authenicate daily multiple times, should this video game hobbie interfere with that?
– Should I have to spend more money for a phone line at a scam company like ATT Verizon or Tmobile? ( even though my previous authentication worked fine at the SAME COMPANY)

However who ever implemented this changed FAILED to take into account the existence of low-income or cost saving people like myself who PAY their bills monthly just like an idiot who subscribes to ATT Verizon or Tmobile.I am unable to assign my number because you all have a prepaid filter.

Fun Fact : I work for one of those major carriers and my bill would be higher even with employee discount

Finally I would like to hear what argument/reasoning the SMS block on prepaid phone numbers was even implemented. YES , i own my phone and bought it outright. YES I pay a bill monthly. YES I authenticate at work and other corporations like Apple and Google. Why am I being blocked by blizzard?

1 Like

You’ll want to post in General Discussion. The ones who make those decisions don’t take feedback from the Customer Support forum and the SFAs here are not liaisons with them.

Edit:
Hello General Discussion!

2 Likes

Blame the FCC not Blizzard. The FCC decides what numbers are valid or not.

No sir, you are wrong. Blizzard is the company that implemented that filter. I alrady addressed that in my OP when mentioning I authenticate fine in ever other company.

2 Likes

While I can’t tell you which prepaid service does or doesn’t work with this system, I’ve used TracFone and had no issue.

3 Likes

Only if you want to use custom text. Otherwise there is no limitation. I approve of what Blizzard did.

1 Like
1 Like

Considering that very clearly - SMS and auth requirements have not stopped spam in LFG, and forcing you to be level 50+ to list also didn’t do anything they should remove those restrictions at this time. They won’t though, just like every company they will keep those restrictions forever, for better or worse.

There was quite a few large topics about this on the EU forums as a result of Blizzard completely forgetting “Oh hey there’s a LOT of different phone companies and prepaid phone services out there” and a large chunk of them also do not work over there for SMS.

2 Likes

Policies like this usually only end up hurting innocents and being a mild annoyance for people who are going to abuse systems no matter what.

2 Likes

FYI, I pay $30/month prepaid with ATT with 8GB data/month. I hardly call that a scam.

" prepaid" the irony. Your number I bet works too for authenticator? Laughable.

But mam if you want to get scammed go to their unlimited plans non prepaid.

… no one went with the “don’t you have phones” line yet?!

2 Likes