Smoke bomb base line for all rogue

Should our rogue get smoke bomb baseline on Blizzard 20th anniversary. I know its been asking many times before. Since all class now getting all the utility and defensive like Mage DK Shaman Monk and especially Hunter in this expansion. Our CC already get nerf during the last few patch include kidney. Should Blizzard buff our defensive more by just giving us Smoke bomb baseline? Smoke bomb is signature for all rogue spec and why is a pvp talent only?

14 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t complain if they made it baseline. I don’t use it much, but I would use it if I didn’t have to give up other PvP talents to have it.

7 Likes

Problem is it was baseline back in the day but broke pve mechanics.

So unless they do some weird thing like make it damage reduction in pve but no LOS and normal LOS ability in pvp, there is no clean way to just make it straight baseline.

2 Likes

Honestly i dont even want a basic damage reduction. How funny would it be if hitting a smoke bombed NPC caused it to flee til it got outta radius.

The problem was boss mechanics. You were able to cheese a lot of bosses by bringing your own line of sight.

I just suggested the damage reduction because i think that’s what it also did in the past. But essentially no way will blizz bring it back as is.

2 Likes

Fatebinder has the visuals attached to distract if that’s all you’re looking for (and some personal DR).
If you’re looking for the LOS things that’s a different horse

Yes please. I miss Smoke Bomb in PVE.

5 Likes

Absolutely. I know it complicates some PvE mechanics but it is such a unique ability that it could very much change the perception of Rogues in PvE content from a utility perspective.

6 Likes

It would quite literally break them all.

“Stand in the smoke bomb” as the boss uses the ability that would ordinarily require defensives for everyone to survive. Theyd have to increase the frequency of those with a smoke bomb that LoS and then thatd lead to rogue stacking to deal with more of them.

I could however see it as something you placed that protected up to 5 targets. A smaller group defensive (still broken in M+)

Rogues are ninjas. Ninjas use smoke bombs to escape. Ask A Ninja can confirm this. Smoke bombs should be baseline.

4 Likes

I thought about this the other day, this is funny. Was thinking about things we could get to have more fun and just be a better class.

It would be busted in PVE. It would be like the ultimate tank external. Every group would have a Rogue smoke bombing random mechanics. The streamers and RWF sweats would have it removed in 1 week.

I bet a lot of decisions and lack of decisions made about Rogues are “this is why we can’t have nice things” related, too much abuse of game mechanics in the past.

Why isn’t dismantle baseline again? Why is it even a PVP talent only when it was introduced in WotLk to help Rogues for soloing in PVE?

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

4 Likes

Smoke Bomb outside of PVP was always a LOS/poor-man’s-grip talent to me.
If a Rogue in the group smoke bombed at any point, wouldn’t the Boss just run in and keep hitting? I don’t do much (or any) M+ so maybe I’m missing something.

2 Likes

A lot of the issues with Smokebomb was unintended consequences. But it’s been years since that initial implementation.

There is no reason that Smokebomb has to be game breaking if introduced back into PvE today. Lots of effects can ignore LoS blocking. AoEs, ground effects, attack cones. You can also program bosses to have contingent abilities. So if for instance you LoS an entire raid (a feat in itself) the boss then uses a different kind of ability. Perhaps one that is worst then the one you LoS with Smokebomb.

You can create limits for the effect. In much the same way a DHs Darkness ability has a much more limited effect for raids. Only 5 people can at once can be obscured by Smokebomb for instance.

I don’t think Smokebomb has to be game breaking in PvE.

3 Likes

Disarm has become a rare form of CC in WoW today. It use to be much more common and crippling. To the point that weapon chains were BiS for PvP and some PvE instances as well.

Honestly disarming is a powerful form of CC in modern WoW and I can understand not wanting to add it to our kit for free. I think it differs from Smokebomb in that SB can function as utility for groups where as Dismantle is very much a feels very much like a “I’m gonna gank this Hunter” kind of tool.

2 Likes

Based on delves completely ignoring line of sight, I would laugh if it happened, but then everything newly designed just ignored it.

1 Like

It’s probably not busted in raid, but in M+ it’s definitely a god tier external on trash and in Delves it would be god tier.

They can reduce the radius or increase CD. Smokebomb is unique to Rogues like Shroud of Concealment.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like

I would gladly sacrifice Shroud of Concealment for Smoke Bomb.

5 Likes

Blizz please, we don’t have the sustain of a hybrid class, any sort of meaningful ranged damage, the passive DR of a plate class, our damage is alright but we don’t bring any utility to a raid beyond the one poison.

You obviously don’t want us to have our CC, which used to be a cornerstone of the class, so give us our tricks of the trade (lowercase) in the form of utility out the wazoo.

Smoke bombs, caltrops, choking gas, the works. I want a utility belt to give Batman envy.

2 Likes