Slow download since 10.1.5

Every update since around 10.1-10.1.5 has been at a crawl. We are talking <100KB/s. My internet speed is 1GB/s and every other game, stream, bandwidth related activity is unaffected. It is only World of Warcraft updates/Bnet Updates.

I have seen other people have similar issues and their posts closed after 30 days with no response. I am logging on after work and it takes close to an hour for a 100MB update.

I have:
-done a fresh install
-updated network drivers
-closed all background programs/downloads
-made sure that there is no bandwidth limit in bnet app download settings

I am at a loss, and am incredibly frustrated. Just this time, it is an hour for this 100MB download. The last 300MB download was multiple. It starts with a slow initializing phase, then its at a couple MB/s, then for about 80% of the download it is <100KB/s. When it reaches 85%, it picks back up to like 2MB/s. I could really use some help here if anyone has an idea.

I just want to play this game, man. Please send help.

2 Likes

It’s weird I come to the forums looking for others experiencing trouble in this exact area and BOOM. Here you are hahaha… yeah actually. It’s insane. Some even get stuck in the “Initializing” process.

I’m currently trying to do a fresh install of the launcher, thinking “Why not?” but I regret it. I’m now stuck with the launcher unable to push through the process. It downloaded fine, but the setup isn’t even functional for a fresh install.

I’m heartbroken. My day off/mythic night is coming up and all I wanna do is game too :frowning:

1 Like

as far as I can tell installation has been especially bricked for a week now

1 Like

EXACTLY the same issue since the plunderstorm gamemode went live after the bnet update as well…

Insane low download and it’s not even using 1% of my internet… my guess it’s that their servers are having issues or something…

1 Like

Initializing a 322.77MB update, 35 minutes in, and I am at 188 so far. Haven’t even started the actual download. This is insane. This small indie developer needs some help evidently.

Edit: Update. Initialization took about an hour, and DL began with 8KB/Hr. I paused the DL, and it restarted at 2MB/Hr, then dropped back down to 12KB at 90%. Paused again, and restarted at 258KB/Hr. So if you are just watching this thing DL, just pause and restart to save some time. Not a fix, but an OK workaround until the engineers figure this issue out.

Usually after initialisation was done, the download was really fast, since nowadays our connections are much better than 15 years ago and these are small patches, but this time it was even worse, it was giving a 3h time to download a 100 mb patch once initialisation was done (which required a vpn, it was getting completely stuck without), so struggled a lot again to get it to download at normal speeds.

Same problem. The “pause and restart” worked and finished my crawl of 20 kb/sec 30 mb left in seconds. Thanks

And still no fix.

Switch to Bnet beta (it’s in the settings). Have yet to encounter this issue.

That’s because it’s essentially a fresh install with a fresh non-corrupt cache and/or broken permissions. Usually when people are having these issues, it’s due to either some corruption in the bnet cache files, permissions or something like firewall/security settings.

I’ve had it happen to me in the past and doing a full wipe of all the various battlenet folders fixed it:

Are the various locations.

I haven’t left the beta Bnet client for several years. Some of the updates do seem like a new install, but other changes are under the hood. I think the update frequency of refreshing the entire client is the same for both versions. I’m just offering it as a quick solution without hunting down any files, but that process is cumbersome.