Slang words

Who gets sick of these young 'uns using words like and and me? Stick with your own lingo instead of commandeering ours!

1 Like

7 Likes

Funny thing about languages. They evolve and change over time. Young people do not hold exclusive rights to those changes, whether formal or slang.

1 Like

I kinda of agree, but it’s when anyone uses them.

Fear not children, for if I have to google it, I’m probably not using it in everyday conversation.

1 Like

In a way, it’s like the written word is being replaced with pictures, as if we’re going back in time.

That said, in the early 1900s, which wasn’t that long ago, people would send postcards across the country written with shortened notes, they’d take the vowels out because of limited writing space.

Postcards were cheap to send. This went on through the 50s or so. I think people have always found ways to shorten/change the language but it still remains.

You just won the t-shirt!

9 Likes

Love the sentiment, but FTFY

1 Like

I’m not like that. I still use phrases like “dog gone it”, “cool”, and yeah, even “far out”.

I’m 50 so that’s okay.

1 Like

Is Bro ok to use?

Unless you’re in south Louisiana … then you have to say Breaux. :rofl:

2 Likes

44 here.

I “absorbed” my slang in the 80s and 90s. I say things like “cool”, “awesome”, “dope”, a lot of “yo” this and “yo” that. That ish is tight. I say “groovy” a lot, from my folks. Occasionally a “wicked” or a “wack” here and there.

Someone I don’t know is “dude”. Like, “dude wanted me to give him five bucks.” I have caught myself saying “my dude” here and there. Guess 'cause I am so used to saying “dude” already.

I was too late for good things to be “bad”, and too early for good things to be “sick”.

Lulz :sunglasses:

Fam=Tribe , and Lit = Cool ok old time hippy words flung in a different tongue :wink:

Lit thread fam

~ Internet old person

I know i know. Its another YT link. But this ones worth it. VERY RELEVANT

2 Likes

As one of the old people, I say yes it bothers me. It doesn’t bother me as much as anyone saying things like cray cray and bae, regardless of age. I don’t even know how you spell that garbage. When we used slang as a kid, it was real words.

1 Like

I think it’s “cringeworthy” for anyone to use those words.

Frankly, I find “cringeworthy” to be worthy of cringing.

This reminds me of the news station in Toledo that was speaking with slang words.
T minus cringe in 5…4…3…2…1

1 Like

Nope, its “breh” now.

Not to be confused with “brah”. They have different meanings.

Nothing will ever stop me from using slang fam.

I know when I get to that age I will not give a singular crap, and will use slang as liberally as I want, because I’m rewarding myself for not committing suicide yet.

2 Likes