Slang words

Is it just me or does anyone find it cringeworthy when people old enough to be grandparents use words like fam and lit? It sounds bad enough when younger people use those words but it’s ten times worse when someone subscribed to AARP throws those words around.

13 Likes

Greetings fellow younglings, I too am very sick and tired seeing older folks pretending to be one of us and using our slangs. XD yolo

20 Likes

i have 9 sockets

and all i can say is that it is very lit

3 Likes

Oh definitely… there was this one newscast (ohio? california?) where the entire newscast did their report for how the weather was going to be for SAT test day using “Lit” era lingo and it hurts your soul to watch.

2 Likes

Why do you think they do it?

1 Like

I think they do it just to make them self, more understandable to youths. It’s like when you go to another country and you are trying to talk the local language instead of your native language.

8 Likes

I couldn’t get through it. The English major in me died a little inside. Even the linguistics major in me facepalmed a lot.

5 Likes

My lawn.

Git off.

/shakes cane

31 Likes

That’s great. They’re clearly poking fun at both the slang and themselves.

4 Likes

giggles incessantly

I love you, Crepe. :blue_heart:

yea i got to them saying okrrr and

what in the actual

yo they said be extra extra? like what?

where they do that at?

oh i didn’t even catch the yeet oh man this is bad

1 Like

That’s ageist!

2 Likes

Why does it affect you?

2 Likes

It means to have two strips of Extra Gum I think, happy to say I’ve somehow fallen out of the slang loop, the last one I was forced to endure was YOLO

nah being extra is a thing. like ur joke was kinda extra

but extra extra. naaaaah

I can’t stand you :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

this should be on the list of words you’re speaking of. Also yeet.

3 Likes

Yo fam, this thread is lit.

7 Likes

I use them (albeit ironically) just to annoy my 16 yr old daughter… does that count?

6 Likes

According to the dictionary…
Based on the past tense of the verb light, lit as a slang term has been part of the English language since the 1910s. It first meant “intoxicated,” perhaps because one’s appearance or behavior was perceived as lit (or “lighted up”) when they were under the influence.

5 Likes