Skirting Overwolf

As long as the ad is a simple image and not a scripted monstrosity, it’s probably fine. It’s the typical web ad that comes with 1500lbs of JavaScript that’s the most problematic.

1 Like

Other addon managers weren’t using 20% CPU when they were turned on. They weren’t utilizing nearly 3x the RAM either.

That’s what I’m saying, though. I use an ad-blocker so I don’t see those anyway, and as I said, the script still opens the pages. Everything is exactly the same, with the exception that I’m clicking on my batch file and downloading them all to one folder for convenience, instead of searching and downloading them one at a time.

1 Like

Honestly, 20% of your CPU? I use it every day and it has never consumed anywhere near that kind of resource load. I would assume that the more you have installed it would take longer as it has to check each mod to see if there is an update but 20%…

Ad-blockers don’t stop the server from loading and sending you the ad, it just stops the client from displaying it. It is like you putting someone on ignore, you just don’t see them but they still exist.

Yeah, I don’t know where that rumor came from. Does it slow down some computers if you leave it running? Sure. But malware? Not even sure where that came from.

3 Likes

Not true (at least for now). Good blockers like uBlock Origin hook into your browser’s resource loading procedures and decide whether resources are allowed to load or not. On iOS Safari Content Blocker extensions also work this way.

An upcoming version of Chrome will be dulling this ability of extensions though, which will make what you said more true (not a surprise, coming from advertising giant Google). When that happens only Firefox will give extensions full control of the page loading process.

Well. Not mine. I don’t use it. I haven’t since they first bought out Curse and I started seeing pop-ups wanting me to download a game or something. I’ve been reading reports of it happening to others.

I get that. My point is, with the exception that all the download pages are opened all at once, which are the direct download links that automatically download when you land on the page, there’s no difference in me doing it one at a time or all at once.

They should let us do that. The script doesn’t even interact with their servers. It just opens the web browser to those links.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/911061686386044980/941527700617699418/Screenshot_142.png

show me this “20% cpu usage” you’re talking about, the RAM too

1 Like

You still don’t understand the concept of “sample size” do you? Let’s put it this way. Just because something doesn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen to others. You’d think with all the Blizzard controversy you might have picked up on that little nugget at some point.

It doesn’t happen to me because I don’t use it, but I have seen reports of it for the past few years.

4 Likes

That RAM usage isn’t really something to brag about, I mean it’s using a good chunk more than Discord which does way more than Overwolf does. Doesn’t matter with a beefy gaming rig with 16GB+ RAM but it’s not exactly a well-crafted piece of software.

2 Likes

I am not sure you can use that argument after you claimed it was using “20% of your CPU”. I mean what was sample size :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Again. Not me. There’s been reports of Overwolf doing such for years.

some people aren’t tech savvy and blamed a software they recently installed first before finding out whats under the hood

thats why IT Support gets paid to resolve someones problem that don’t know how to turn on a PC for instance

I honestly have no issue with the ads. My issue is 100% with Overwolf who have nearly 2 decades of known shady practices under their belt now. The fact they make you install and run their own overlay system to scrape your data to run Curseforge, which absolutely didn’t need the Overwolf overlay to run at all, attests to the fact they’re STILL shady AF.

People can use all the logical fallacies they want to try and gaslight the community, but a spade is still a spade.

1 Like

And just how exactly is a non “tech savvy” person supposed to do that? They see a product that does what they want, see a bunch of people using it, so they assume it works like it should. That’s NOT an unreasonable thing to assume.

And you don’t have to have it running. It is there because Overwolf is the platform that all their applications live on. Once you are done updating, turn the sucker off and it all goes away.

1 Like

The Overwolf overlay still runs when you run the Curseforge client. Yeah, you can turn it off after you update, but you STILL have to have it run to update your addons, which is absolutely unnecessary. The Curse Client worked for years without it. Overwolf is a shady company. It was Tik Tok before Tik Tok was Tik Tok, and I don’t mean the video nonsense.

1 Like

Which is a workaround for a crappy program. Honestly, if you were forced to turn off superfluous programs before you played a game or did anything else, you wouldn’t use a computer that often. I know I wouldn’t.

It is what you should be doing with all apps you are not using, regardless of how well written they are.

1 Like

I used overwolf because that’s how you get minecraft addons. It would BSOD my PC, cause it to lock constantly and it made it so bad i had to reformat my PC. I will not install that trashware on my PC ever again and I haven’t played minecraft since and wont until they get a better addon manager.

You know, I bet the Curse Client would work fine if you set up a virtual machine, installed CursedWolf in the VM, and shared your WoW installation’s addons directory with the VM.

That way you get updated addons and all traces of CursedWolf vanish when you close the VM.