Skip Skill Training Till 60?

Is it wise to purchase only select skills/spells while leveling to 60, or should a player get all their skills so they have a full toolkit while they’re leveling?

I was wondering if anyone with better memory than me could explain if skipping the training of certain skills is practical.

I think it’s a matter of preference. Me? I try to purchase all the skills I can when I level. You’ll be strapped for coin though. About when I hit level 30, I stop leveling and farm the hell out of Deadmines and Wailing caverns for greens and the occasional blue to sell on the AH. If you do it right, you’ll be able to afford the skill training and your mount.

1 Like

I would only pass on training as an absolute last resort. You will want to buy them all eventually. Learning to use your entire arsenal is one of the most important things about leveling.

It is beyond frustrating when you ask someone in a dungeon to use their CC and they reply with “oh sorry I didn’t train that move.”

3 Likes

That’s how I remember it. I want my full kit, but I was broke also. I was thinking of maybe saving a little to get my first mount efficiently.

Depends on the skill. Leveling my Lock I don’t train a lot of stuff, like the Firestones, Spellstones, or Curse of Weakness. And I only train 1 level of Curse of Recklessness to keep mobs from running, and only 1 level of Drain Soul.

2 Likes

Warlock is one of my favorite classes. Thanks for the thoughts.

Hopefully you’re never that strapped for gold except maybe at the very beginning. I was a warlock and could always afford all my training, grimoires and all. Just killing humanoids and vendor trashing should give you enough for training.

For warlocks sure. But what about classes that don’t get a mount spell at level 40? Is it worth their while to conserve gold via selective training until they have their mount?

It’s not about being strapped for cash, it’s about blowing money on a skill you’ll never use.

2 Likes

I personally purchase everything… simply because I like to. I also like pvping while leveling, so I prefer to have all my skills.

I also level up my professions while leveling, because I enjoy the utility and rp value they bring.

1 Like

I can respect that. I did in vanilla. The ‘fun factor’ should always be considered in the decision. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t matter. Yeah, lock has a bit of advantage but making gold isn’t hard. The cost of skills, even in vanilla, isn’t significant enough. You’ll have to pay eventually anyway. In a way, it’s an indication of how you’re coming along with gold making.

Oh, you’ll use curse of weakness a lot as a warlock in pvp. Nothing like crushing a broken tooth/zg bat’s damage with an amp’d CoW

I’d say to become very familiar with your spells. Some spells are essential to your kit and you want to upgrade their damage right away. Others are used more for their special effects (like slowing an enemy or obtaining a soul shard) that you’d only ever want Rank 1 of because upgrading its damage is pointless (and that’s all the further Ranks will do).

And if you’re worried about being strapped for cash on a Warlock, remember that you get what is essentially a super cheap mount/training at level 40 via Felsteed, so copper pinching isn’t as big a deal to Warlocks as it is to other classes.

But you have buy them all ANYWAY at some point so what’s the difference if it’s now or later? It helps indicate how well you’re coming along with gold making. If you can easily afford skills then that’s an indication you’re coming along nicely.

True, but I didn’t mean warlocks specifically. What I was wondering was if it actually made much of a difference to not train until after the first mount (or at all in some rare cases).

This is ultimately what I’ve concluded as well. As I think about it, I want all of my toolkit as soon as I can get it. The skills really aren’t that expensive until past level 40 anyways. And it’s not fun to not be able to use your full kit on demand.

What I said could sorta apply to any class. Drain Soul was just an example of an ability where you get the most use out of it with Rank 1, where it costs the least mana and you don’t have to spend additional gold on ranks that are kinda pointless. It all comes down to planning out what build you want and knowing which spells are essential to that build, or if you can cheap out on ranks.

It’s only really important while leveling. By the late game you can farm much more efficiently and make gold for consumables and stuff, as well as easily buying all your spells and also your mount if you didn’t get it by that point.

1 Like

You’ll be just fine, dude. Just don’t try to level up a primary profession why leveling your first toon. Good luck!

1 Like

You too. :slight_smile:

I pass on all ret skills. It gets pretty pathetic how long it takes me to kill some stuff.