Sin'dorei and Quel'dorei and Ren'dorei, Oh My!

TLDR:

This is a discussion about the customization of Blood Elves, Void Elves and the lack of existence of High Elves. It’s a beaten horse subject I know, but I had an idea that might just be appealing to all (though I doubt Blizzard would ever try it).

-Part One: Confusion! What are you hiding??- :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

When Ion Hazzikostas said that Blood Elves are High Elves and if you want to play them just join the Horde, but then also took those Blood Elves and turned them into Void Elves playable for the Alliance it made the waters a bit murky.

Not to mention the fact that they were introduced in the frame of reference of “an elite squad” further adding to the confusion as to why they were the chosen playable race and not the Quel’dorei.

Then to muddy the distinction between the Elves even further (silhouette argument out the window), with the Shadowlands hot on our heels there will be customization options coming for Blood Elves and Void Elves allowing them to look essentially like High Elves.

Many would say that this is an acceptable middle ground because Quel’dorei fans would get their High Elves (Cosmetically), and the Void Elves allow more visual variance, if so desired, from their Blood Elven cousins.

Everybody wins right? :partying_face:

In a sense…but I think we can do better which is why I am making this forum.

-Part Two: Selama Ashal’anore-

Instead of making Quel’dorei customization options for the Sin’dorei and Ren’dorei. We should make the Ren’dorei the customization option for them, to solidify the Void Elves into the category of “Elite Squad.”

Allow me to explain -

The overall concept of this new approach is that Void Elves would be treated more like a superior version of the Night Warrior’s eye appearance for the Night Elves.

Both the Ren’dorei appearance options AND their racials would follow the same unlock requirements that they currently do, but instead of unlocking a “race” it is simply a higher tier of customization, more akin to a free race change for the Blood Elves and High Elves.

Now in this scenario there is a bit of footwork to be done I know. We would have to actually make Quel’dorei racials (feel free to give suggestions below :stuck_out_tongue:), to start as the framework for the Alliance side (for those who haven’t unlocked Ren’dorei yet or simply want to be pure High Elves).

And then also create a starting experience for them (if we didn’t want to just save time&money and plop them in Northshire). Since they wouldn’t be considered an Allied Race anymore and don’t start at lvl 20 (unless you chose for them to be Void Elves in the Character Creation menu - but this will be explained better further down).

Frankly I feel like this is a scenario where all parties benefit more.

Quel’dorei fans win because they would officially get their race in the game with racials to back up their validity.

Ren’dorei fans would win because as this is a Void Transformation, they would retain their same class but simply get a new appearance and racials.

So classes that were formerly unavailable to Ren’dorei such as Paladin, Demon Hunter (which should’ve been an option from the start anyway), and I’ve seen in the Quel’dorei discussions the possibility of Quel’dorei Shamans or Druids. So whichever one of those that become a reality would be an option for the Ren’dorei after their transformation as well.

The Sin’dorei win the least in this scenario, but its still a win because they get to retain all the customization options they have and will obtain in the Shadowlands.

And this technically opens up an option for a free Race/Faction transfer (as Void Elves would still be Alliance since their magic is considered Heresy to Blood Elves) if they decide to throw their character to the darkness and become a Void Elf. (Though naturally it would only go one way, if you voidify yourself you can’t undo it without paying your tithe to Blizzard).

A possible naysayer could claim that allowing Blood Elves to have a free Faction transfer might cause a population imbalance between the Alliance and Horde but I beg to differ.

Most players who desired to be Elves have already chosen their side between Alliance and Horde by playing either the Void Elves or Blood Elves.

Any High Elf fans that were left out can be reasoned to be playing Void Elves currently because at least that Elf option was on the Alliance (which is one of the major points of interest when discussing High Elves).

So those that are playing Blood Elves currently instead wouldn’t cause a dramatic shift in population after their change since it can be presumed most already had their characters with the boys in blue.

This would also effectively keep the number of options in character creation the same too. You would have the Blood Elves still on the Horde, and the High Elves on the Alliance side.

If you had unlocked the Void Elven requirements then while you are customizing your character (High Elf or Blood Elf) it would just be a toggle like standing upright as an Orc.

In that character creation menu or the Barbershop (still only one way High/Blood->Void, can’t swap back without paying) you just flip between the tentacle or non-tentacle kind of elf.

This would also be reflected in your racials that can be displayed on the screen while customizing. This way you know which one you are committing to before you hit that Create Character button.

-END-

Thanks for sticking along for the long read if you did, please comment below on what you think.

Is this a better way to handle the Children of Quel’thalas, or a worse one?

Do you have a suggestion that is different than both what I proposed and how Blizzard handled it?

I would love to hear thoughts and critiques! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

High elves are blood elves.

14 Likes

Nope, I created a Blood Elf today.

Alot of people in the high elf community are very happy with what blizzard announced. I wasn’t. I would have actually been ok if the void elf customization where for making void elves more voidy. I wanted a fully fleshed out Alliance high elf race. Now all I get is void “high” elves with 3 non voidy hair style options, no ability to be a paladin and no high elven features like a pure white hair color or tattoos or w/e.

5 Likes

ok

1 Like

Forget High Elves. I want San’layn.

8 Likes

That seems like a rather convoluted way of giving the Alliance another elf race and giving the Horde literally nothing.

8 Likes

Tbh, the high elf with void customization should have been how was from the get go, rather than the huge mess they(the dev team) has made now.

10 Likes

I thought he was going to say void elves as a customization for BOTH factions.

naw its just another alliance helfer thread. void elves are kill on sight in quel’thalas after alleria proved rommath right. that makes no sense. if you want to play a void corrupted elf the alliance is there for you

and this option, as my hunter demonstrates, is waiting for you on the horde where it should be

3 Likes

Not anymore, we can actually be both now. :heart:

In all fairness, I don’t subscribe to the factional elekk poodoo in general. I play where my friends play and I get my content done when I get it done.

However, from a roleplaying standpoint, I would love the ability to have permanent edit: out of combat transform effects for any member of the opposite faction, with customization.

2 Likes

I considered that. However, the use of Void Magic is heresy to the Sindorei so I passed up on it. And just approached this as more customization for the Alliance side.

In this elven debate, is there something that the Horde gains really? This is just a compromise to allow High Elves to be plausible, since its not really TWO races. Just a level of customization higher than we’ve seen before, frankly the Horde could get the same thing for Forest Trolls it doesnt really matter.

The option is already there just not on the faction you want it to be but it’s still there so you’ll live.

2 Likes

8 Likes

LOL!!! I love that. :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

You want to have entirely different sets of aesthetics and racial abilities depending on which flavor of elf they are; that’s functionally two races. You made a comparison to male Orcs’ hunch and NE Night Warrior eyes but the difference is that neither of those options changes anything functional nor do they alter the entirety of the customization options.

1 Like

Fair but the comparison to the Orc’s hunch was more so an approach to how it would function, the toggling that is, rather than the depth of change it brings. Same goes for the Night Elf eyes, which was used as a comparison that the race would have to still be unlocked, but then simply be an option moving forward like how the eyes are.
As for an entirely different set of aesthetics that is inaccurate, Shadowlands itself is already doing that. There would not be a need to bring in more, sure more customization is always nice but you will already be able to make your elf look like a High Elf so nothing need be done.
The racials would be the only input needed to make the distinction since it would be strange for a High Elf to have Spatial Rift or Entropic Embrace if they had not decided on the Void Elf customization.
If racials are the only factor that makes a race new in your opinion then yes you would be correct that the Alliance would essentially be getting a new race for free.
And if that is the case, then as I said before its more so an approach on customization so it wouldn’t matter if this concept were applied to the Horde as well. Say giving trolls the ability to toggle for Forest Troll which changes their racials too. In the long run it doesn’t really matter since this was a low maintenance approach to a “fix”, new racials not really much more.

From the start It should have been high elves with an option for velves but I don’t think blizz will back pedal on that at this point. They are giving us the option to appear like a high elf though, which while not ideal, is about as much as I’ve come to expect as an RPer.

1 Like

You must be a high elf if you think anyone cares.