Since when was "Check Wowhead" an acceptable answer?

The entire time I’ve been leveling this character I’ve been running into bug after bug after bug while questing and every time I put a ticket in I always get a response along these lines “we understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to complete quests, try checking Wowhead for a work around or how to better complete the quest”

I literally did a quest in Ashenvale where the quest would spawn an invisible mob that just followed me around until it killed me, so I had a high level guildy come in and wipe out the quest mobs before I died and the GM said “Oh it looks like you completed this quest, I’m marking it as resolved” wtf?

TF happened to the people answering our tickets?

Edit: let me clarify that I do use the “report a bug tool” and then I open a ticket.

Edit 2: SO the GM I contacted assisted with the bug and auto completed the quest. So glad the people in this thread saying “GMs don’t help with bugged quests” are speaking their minds.

47 Likes

Instead of putting in a ticket, use the bug reporting tool (it’s one of the side options from the help menu) or post it in the bug report forum. The GMs that handle tickets can’t really do anything about most bugs.

8 Likes

I would say that your Ashenvale example should have been a bug report and not a GM ticket, so I am not surprised by their response.

GMs cannot fix bugs so suggesting that you visit a source of potential work around information sounds like reasonable course of action.

3rd party sites have been a good source of information since the game started.

9 Likes

And I usually do both, there is a open ticket option for quests that are bugged as well so I’m using it.

I think you’re exaggerating, but in the event you do encounter a bug, submit a bug reports. tickets are not bug reports.

6 Likes

Ashenvale has a bugged quest, WoD shadowmoon has a bugged quest tied to completion, Silithus has bugged quests all over (no pun intended)

1 Like

You aren’t wrong, but when a GM responds to your ticket with “go look it up”, it feels more like an insult than help.

Just after BfA launched world quests were bugging, and even though I’d completed the objective I couldn’t collect the reward, this happened roughly six times. Well, a few of the GM’s that responded to me thought it was a good idea to tell me to go to WoWhead, as if that would solve my issue.

Some GM’s shouldn’t have their jobs, or some GM’s need better training.

25 Likes

Man, I miss the days when they would direct me to Thottbot.

7 Likes

Why… they don’t fix them. It is like crumpling up paper and putting it into the waste bin.

5 Likes

Pretty much this, the Ashenvale quest has been bugged for as long as I can remember. There was a response on the bugged shadowmoon quest from a CM on the bug forum…almost a month ago.

2 Likes

What would you like the GM to say if they can’t assist you? Perhaps “Go Look It Up” is they best they can do but they want to at least give you some course of action.

I completely understand your frustration, but at the same time I feel like I have to give the GMs the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

it happens. all we can do is submit bug reports and one day soon™ they’ll get fixed. maybe. My guess is the bugs you’ve encountered have to do with the scaling tech. idk.

I’m currently leveling a Dark Iron hunter (79 atm), and haven’t encountered any bugged quests, but I chose different zones than you did.

1 Like

Most of their answers are copy pastes from a template. Open enough tickets you will see the same layout. benefit of the doubt? Some of them are lazy and only care about closing their cases as soon as they open them.

What did I want them to do? Give me my damn reward for doing the world quest that says is completed but won’t finish because of obvious bugs.

6 Likes

I personally go to Wowhead first every time I have a problem that isn’t a glitch or bug-related character stuck, auto disconnect or the like. I find the comments sections are almost always able to resolve my issue without needing a GM to tell me they can’t do anything. Skip the middle man if you will.

13 Likes

But that doesn’t help in the case of bugs. Like yeah the site is helpful and I’ve used it multiple times on quests where I couldn’t find something.

since at least Cata. It was the reply I got from customer service in relation to an issue with some items. I should have checked wowhead apparently, instead of expecting the in game information to be correct.
That was the first time I cancelled my sub.

1 Like

I understand the frustration. I just usually try to spare myself the headache of waiting and waiting for a response. It’s actually pretty common though if you’ve encountered a bug or a glitch on certain quests other players may have had the same experiences and have suggestions on how to trigger a fix. I’ve found lots of useful tips browsing comments so I always just head there to see what they have to say first.

Like I don’t expect the GM’s to know every single quest detail in the game, but I’ve had GM’s show up or at least watch me try something if it was bugged and take a more hands on approach to helping me. But ever since MoP I don’t see that anymore. It’s just copy paste as Kitt said.

Because Wowhead has answers, GM’s do not.

And Wowhead is basically using people for free to answer everyone’s questions when a GM is a paid service.

3 Likes

I will accept this as a natural and ultimately fair inevitability of dropping subs when they find a website to link to that isn’t filled to bursting with malware.

Or when they can be bold enough to warn you about it in the response and tell you to get the best adblocker you can find.

Until then it’s a terrible response and completely unacceptable.

8 Likes