Simple(ish) Solution to Tank/Healer Shortage

There are plenty of tank classes/specs. The issue is that no one wants to tank randoms because of the toxic community. I tank on this toon somewhat, but I don’t do randoms. Just guild and friends. Many other tank players are the same way. Fix the trolls and idiots in the community and you’ll have a bigger selection of tanks queuing up.

2 Likes

People don’t want to reroll from characters they’ve been maining for up to 17 years to play a new tank.
But: If you give people that are super dedicated to one class a new tank spec to try out, they just might enjoy it.

E.G. If you’ve been playing shaman for 17 years, adding a new class that can tank wont suddendly make you want to play tank.
But If Shaman were to get a Tank Spec, you might just try it to see how it is.

I don’t have a problem with the idea of this but some things will have to be ironed out.

Like a Rogue could be an evasion tank, but at some point it’s going to take a hit, and if it’s raid tanking it’s probably gonna be a one shot from the boss when it does.

the thing about having tank spec on those classes. If you already play a tank you will always choose a tank spec unless you’re bored and want a change. Player who would never pick up the spec will not pick it up doesn’t matter if it’s available to them. If you look at the past complain here in the forum you have dks, pally, druid, monk, warrior and dh complaining about the lack of tanks when they themselves can go tank spec

2 Likes

there’s lack of tanks on both faction. So no it really wont

2 Likes

Nobody really disputes that some people would try it. The issue is, would enough actually stick with it to either impact the 5 man pug tank issue or justify the development time and additional balancing that would be needed? Judging by history, no, it wouldn’t.

(But I’d love to be able to tank on my shammy!)

My favorite is seeing an LFR standing in front of a boss waiting for a tank and half the group is hybrids.

1 Like

It doesn’t really impact me. I only play Tanks.
My DPS specs only ever see world content. Or when one of my guild mates is feeling brave, which only lasts for about 2 or 3 dungeons.

That’s why I want new tank specs on existing classes. It would functionally add new classes to the Roster for me.

I can’t dps only because I’m a judgemental control freak lol.

I’m with you there, but that’s a lot different than expecting it to address the OPs issue and IMO there’s a lot of more pressing improvements the devs need to be working on than something that is only likely to be a lasting benefit to existing tank players.

1 Like

Everyone says the stress of tanking gets to them. But it’s the only role that relaxes me.

Dps is too perfectionist, you’re constantly racing for most damage done.
Healer makes me struggle to stay awake.

And I’m a super mega ultra final form extrovert
So the constant praise of being a tank is greaaaaaat…

Im so judgemental I play a class where it’s a spell!

(Of course I’m mainly judging myself, so there’s that)

2 Likes

anything but a perfect run I would apologize to the group I’m with after the key.

If they added more tank specs, the players who would play them would be existing tanks who want to play all tanking specs.

1 Like

They should give all class 1 heal, 1 tank, and 2 damage specs. Classes with 3 damage specs, rework one of them to be a tank spec and add a healing spec. Make that warlock and hunter spec what focuses on pets into proper tank specs, that’s an easy one. Give warrior a heal spec that uses rifles and bows for their main hand. Give DK a healing spec that’s like the evil opposite of holy pally. It would actually be a big upgrade for the game.

They shouldn’t be forced to tank or heal if they main dps. People have the right to ask if they are willing to tank, but the problem is people get upset at each other when they don’t, and try to put you down as a bad player for not willing to expand your pool of specs. Why doesn’t the person asking tank or heal instead? Probably the exact same reason.

Five-man tanking has the hardest learning curve of any role in the game and you’re effectively locked to only doing mythic plus since nobody needs you in PvP and even the most casual raid guild has tanks for days.

Adding more tank specs isn’t going to change any of that.

1 Like

This is an aspect I didn’t even get into in this thread. Many vital tanking trinkets this expansion have been locked to the raid, and getting a slot as a raid tank is not something that any tank can just do.

I mean, sure, a motivated tank can often PUG heroic for a trinket if it is mandatory, but that’s a bit of a chore compared to just being in a guild as a DPS and doing your guild raids and getting loot from the raid.

Honestly, bringing back 10-man raiding would be way, way more practical as a way to fix the “tank problem” than adding weird specs to pure DPS classes (classes people may have chosen specifically to avoid being asked to swap spec).

I do agree that adding an additional tank spec would be a bad idea as the tanks most often are not balanced very well. However, I think a very interesting idea for one, would be a hunter tank spec where the hunter and the pet shared hp, and the pet mitigated damage. This would allow for the healer to top off the pet by healing the hunter, and would add class fantasy using some big defensive pet would mean something.

They’ve added more tanking classes and it did NOTHING to change queue times. You must be new to the game

4 Likes

there’s 0 reason to do this. how would it even fix the tanking shortage?

adding more tank/healers wont fix the shortage. if no one wants to play them now, why would it change?