Silenced for a day on forums by quoting someone else?

So I was given an automatic silence yesterday for responding to someone by quoting them on the forum. 24 hours , not a big deal, my concern is with the stain it may leave on my account for the forums and entirely makes me re-consider posting on the forums.

When I received the email announcing this silence, it sent me the entire post and counted as me violating the code of conduct. Not a specific word or sentence, but just the entire quote post and my response. I was stumped with this information as I am trying to figure out what I said but couldn’t see it as I usually behave within a civil and neutral attitude to subjects but I’ve noticed something that stood out, it was the OP’s context I’ve quoted that used a word that may of not been “appropriate”.

How do I tell? because the OP’s post were also removed from the original thread. I tried to make an appeal this as it wasn’t my intend as I merely just trying to keep my responses organized in a hierarchical format to make it easy to follow on with conversation.

When I tried to appeal this, I was given an automatic robotic response which made me feel my attempt wasn’t even taken seriously and a bit undervalued as I genuinely wanted to figure out the cause so something like this never occurs again on my account.

The apeal was handled by a real person as any folow up apeals unless you want that black mark to folow you around id keep apealing im not a 100% on this but they may take this into accoun on any in game action

4 Likes

Quoting an offensive post, still makes your own post offensive. This is why when I quote someone’s post that may contain 1 or more offensive words replacing them with […] or similiar.

11 Likes

Forum actions are handed down by moderators. There are no “automated” silences on the forums.

Again, real people. If you wish to appeal again, you’ll want to submit another appeal ticket.

That said, if you did quote something that was inappropriate, then that is indeed a violation of the rules too.

10 Likes

Unfortunately intent and context don’t really mean anything. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules, it’s pretty black and white when it comes to these sorts of things.

5 Likes

That’s what I thought, but I wish this was communicated in the email directly instead of something vague. Which is negligence on my end to not oversee it but didn’t think there would a penalty by quoting someone as not a way to continue the use of the word but more so in a structure format because that’s generally how I reply in messages. I would need to be more careful when quoting in the near future now.

Indeed, lessons were learned, I just didn’t think it would be a result from quoting someone for a single word. Thanks for the clarity.

They tend to be vague to avoid players trying to get outa a punishment

Honestly if someone is violating the forum code that much never a good idea to quote them. Just reply and say your peace or like others said quote but sensor out some parts to make sure your not violating the code of conduct at well.

2 Likes

Yeah I just never knew it was capable of a penalty even though it was a small one on my end, I overlooked it just because there was a lot of depth in the conversation, even though it was civil but like someone mentioned, there is no grey area here, just black and white when it comes down to these things. Which is understandable.

24hrs is pretty leniant if it wasnt ur first penalty it wouldve been longer.

It is but I also been playing since vanilla so that’s why it’s a surprise to me since I aim to practice good social habits and not ones that could endanger my account.

1 Like

There are TEMPLATES. Just because they use those to keep the information that goes out uniform does not mean that it’s all automated. Those are two wholly different things.

Please keep the conspiracy theories off this forum. We deal in facts around here, not assumptions or the same old regurgitated mess that has been disproven time and time again.

15 Likes

Look what you shouldve done is open a new thread instead of derailing a thread pointlessly. The blues dont take well to people derailing threads with rants or conspiracy theroies and lies.

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with your crusade to bring attention to what you want changed in how the PvP forums specifically, and rail against policies in how you think things are handled. OP has a specific issue about their silence and what might have led to it.

You don’t even need to open another thread here on CS. You did this on another thread too that ended up getting locked. Anything remotely like what you’re wanting to go on about seems to invite you to jump in and hijack another person’s thread - even though you were told pretty clearly in the last one that NOTHING CAN BE DONE by you posting here.

This forum is one for players to assist other players. The folks who handle the forums don’t come here. Our SFAs, the only Blues you see posting here, they are usually locked to this forum with the exception of some pretty rare instances.

You actually had the gall to start ordering one of them around in that one, in case you forgot.

If you want to put forth your thoughts and feelings and suggestions in how to better handle things? You need to post in the Website Bug Forum. That is the best place for your feedback.

Continuing to hop in on threads here in CS is only going to get you hit with spamming or trolling flags if you keep up like this. What you’re wanting cannot be achieved by doing anything on this forum specifically. Even though it’s labeled for Website Bugs, feedback and suggestions are accepted there too.

13 Likes

If replying to the thread is not directly related with the OP’s issue then yes it is derailing a thread. If the problem is your own then a new thread should be made.

If people are getting silences then they are violating for forum code of conduct! Possibly like the OP who quoted a section of text that violated the code. So he got silenced as well.

Not liking the truth does not make it a lie. Yes, in-game there are automated squelched if enough people report you for language (as an example). However, on the forums, the most that can be done by multiple people reporting you, is that your post is “hidden” though people can still click on it and view it if they choose to.

There are absolutely no automated silences on the forums (or in-game). If there were, trolls would not be so prevalent in the General Discussion forums. Nor would there be people trolling for hours, days, and even weeks, on the various Blizz forums. They’d have been magically “auto-moderated” within minutes.

It sounds more like the reports that are being made are accurate and those being reported do not wish to follow basic rules. That’s my opinion at least.

18 Likes