Sick of the Layering posts, Actiblizz? Get rid of it

We aren’t claiming a death spiral. What I and others think is that there will be a very healthy population (that will likely grow over time) once the tourists bounce. However, by releasing too many servers at launch, this healthy population will be split over these servers and will make for a lesser long term experience.

The best part about layering? If the tourists pack up and leave quickly, layering will be gone even more quickly.

4 Likes

It’s almost as if every server launched within the past 7 years has experienced that same “sub death” that they’re foreseeing for classic.
Weird that they’re trying to prevent something like that.

3 Likes

When you plan systems, you don’t plan optimistically. You plan realistically. Realistically, as many people will rabidly tell you, Classic is not for everyone. The influx of people basically just trying it out and never making it past level 20 is going to make up a significant portion of the initial population. That is objective fact.

The population (not subs) may not plummet, but it will significantly affect server communities if Blizzard does not include layering and opens a ton of servers with standard population caps.

If this is the case, I’m confident they will open new servers for those people to migrate to, just like they did in Vanilla.

No, you are just so blind in your vendetta that you can’t fathom we want the same things. We just have different opinions as to the best way to make those things happen. I don’t want layering. But I know it’s the lesser of all evils when it comes to how to handle the initial “tourist” population at launch.

3 Likes

The worst part about layering?
If tourists don’t leave we have it forever.
That or they turn off layering in p2 as promised and we have mega servers with 10,000-15,000 players on them.

1 Like

Vanilla launch started small (relatively) and subscriptions grew throughout the life of Vanilla (and TBC). I believe a couple hundred thousand launched with Vanilla and that grew to around 7 million by the end of Vanilla. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on those numbers.

That being said, dead servers were a thing in Vanilla. Not all of them, by any means, and it got much worse in later xpacs, but some realms died even while WoW was growing.

the other issue is that even during WoW’s growth, they did not retain every player. So pretending that every person who loads up Classic on day 1, or week 1 is going to stick around and play a lot is a bit pollyanna.

What is expected to happen is that all the old veterans coming back, private server players and people dying for Classic will be joined by huge numbers of current retail players at launch. Retail subs grant access to Classic, so if there is a BFA content drought, many of them will check Classic out. This creates HUGE demand during the launch window, but all those people won’t stick around. Some might quit altogether, but others may simply play Classic now and then when they’re bored in BFA.

I hope Classic is more popular than expected. But Blizzard will probably have a good idea of what to expect from early character creation and 15 years of subscription metrics, so I am in the corner of hoping for the best, but preparing to handle the worst.

3 Likes

If the population remains high than more servers will be needed, and queues should be implemented. Moving into the future with multiple layers of world bosses (and similar situations) will not be good.

2 Likes

I’d also wager to say people who are hardcore anti-layering didn’t have to recruit for raiding guilds on backwater servers prior to server transfers opening up in Vanilla.

3 Likes

Can someone explain to me what’s so horrible about layering…?

There are definitely some downsides to it if they are not addressed properly by Blizzard.

• Dodging being PvP ganked by getting invited by a friend in another layer.
  • You may see other players disappear if they are invited to a party in another layer
  • Players could swap layers in order to look for more resource nodes

These things should hopefully be avoided by some sort of limitation on layer hopping.

People are upset about layering for two reasons I can gather:

1. They played nostalrius and remember nosts’ launch as super fun and want to recreate that experience again without realizing nost used bots to pump its numbers for the first few weeks.
  2. They feel layering would be exploited so a certain few people can take advantage of the economy and gain more gold than what would seem normal. The caveat to this is that they don’t understand that DM tribute/maraudon farming produces way more gold than layering ever would and those are permanent mainstays to the game whereas layering is 100% gone by phase 2.
4 Likes
  1. Being PvP ganked? As if you assume people are all going to flag themselves as PvP? I don’t understand what you mean by that.
  2. Or maybe not? Maybe it’ll be like GW2’s megaservers, where people don’t just disappear from the world around you?
  3. I’ve never heard of Blizz planning on allowing people to swap layers. This just sounds like GW2’s megaservers.
1 Like
  1. On a PvP server, combat is open season vs. the other faction.
  2. They are not doing megaservers. Once you’re on a layer, you’re there unless you get invited by a player in another layer.
  3. See the previous response, you can swap, but it requires being in contact with a player on another layer. This is in order to prevent friends/guild mates to be unable to party up.

Has Blizz confirmed that players can swap layers, and that they will “disappear” from view if they join a group? Just asking for proof of these claims, one month out from Classic officially launching (we are still in Beta and stress test).

As someone who has accounts since Beta. Here are the actual numbers to do with as you please. There where 89 ( thank you for the correction and I have added servers that where missed Thanks Eloraell) servers at launch according to the server timeline. and Blizz recorded just over 200,000 sales first 24 hours. In the first 24 hours they recorded just over 100,000 players. So if they where evenly distributed (I know they never are) that about 1123 players per server. Now if we look at current numbers estimated to be in classic this could easily go over 1-2 million first hour trying to login and level.
Source: wowwiki.fandom(.) com /wiki/Timeline_of_the_creation_of_US_realms
www.digitaltrends(.) com /gaming/world-of-warcraft-shatters-sales-record/

1 Like

Good analogy because I hate mosquitoes with a passion

Sure. But nobody is going to build a space station in order to escape the planet to avoid mosquitoes.

Realistically the best thing to do if you so passionately hate layering is to just wait it out. Abandoning Classic because of it is about as extreme as abandoning the planet because of mosquitoes.

I don’t want layering either. But in my experience in the beta it’s very hard to notice. It’s an acceptable compromise especially considering how short lived it will be.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Looks like they got rid of it. The posts I mean. What is it about California that inspires mob mentality and squelching opinions?

The community did that. Blizzard merely provided a means for the community to do so. So if by “they” you mean Blizzard then no.

Unfortunately it can be abused. But that’s what we have. Can’t really blame the community for growing tired of layering posts.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t buy that. Overwhelming opinion is against layering. Even if the community did do it, that just proves my point about mob mentality

I wasn’t aware that the same 20 people repeating the same talking points is an overwhelming opinion.

3 Likes