Shouldn't monks be quiet fighters? What's with some noisy races being monks?

I’m not a hardcore monk player, but I do have several monks just for fun. I’ve tried out several races as monk: Pandaren (my original), Orc, Zandalari, HMT, Velf, DID, Gnome and Mechagnome.

I’ve noticed that several of those races–including some Allied–make no noise for the standard spell rotation. (I think of it as them fighting in a stealthy manner, which seems more apt.) And several of them have a sound effect for just about every stinkin’ spell, which, as it turns out, I find considerably distracting.

Has anyone else noticed this and do you find it more, or less, appealing when a character race makes for a noisy monk? Is it just me who finds it beyond distracting? I guess my answer is to play only races that make for stealthy monks. LOL

Maybe they do it on purpose like Master Rab in Ni No Kuni… :smirk:

Usually the game sound effects are off for me. I’ve never really considered it.

Have you seen DBZ?

4 Likes

Have you seen any movie starring Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee?

1 Like

Yeah just swing by any NASKA tournament and you will see martial arts is one of the loudest sporting events ever. And that’s from the people on the floor practicing it. Add in the Karate Karens aka Karate moms screaming and you might just need hearing protection.

1 Like

Bits and pieces, but I know what you mean. I guess that I prefer the odd-duck races that make for nearly mute monks. :laughing:

:rofl:

1 Like

Monks =/= Ninjas

3 Likes

True. But now I wonder why Blizz never added monk voice emotes for all the non-Allied and some Allied races. Some consistency seems preferable, even if some of the races’ fighting emotes bother me. Still, I don’t like to silence the game, if I can help it; so I continue to keep my Orc monk, who’s rather mum while fighting. I guess that that makes her odd. shrug LOL

1 Like

You know, until this post I had not considered it. But yes, some of my monks are exceedingly noisy while others just do a grunt here or there. I actually prefer the less vocal ones, but don’t find either particularly distracting.

Now prot pallies on the other hand… I cannot play most of the races as they sound like they are hawking loogies every 3 seconds.

Due to all the races that make for quiet monks, I guess that I came to believe that they all should be that way. (I race-changed my Pandaren monk to Orc long ago and can’t remember if the female Panda is a mostly quiet fighter; if so, then it seems all the more strange that just a fraction of the Allied races make for noisy monks. :thinking:)

But I must confess that, for whatever reason, I find the Gnome and Mechagnome monk-fighting emotes to be more entertaining than not; meanwhile, the Vulpera ones kinda bother me, but more so for the male; this makes me sad, as I wanted to play a male fox monk. C’est la vie, I guess.

I don’t tank, so the only race I’ve (barely) tested as a Prot. pally is a lvl-20 Zandalari female. One of her frequently used spells causes her to shout a sound that I find as grating as I would a loogie-hawking sound. I don’t even care much for her Ret. fighting sounds, which bums me a bit. But I do like my female Draenei and Human for playing that spec.

Long story short, I guess that I’ll stick with quieter monk races, as long as I like their fighting animations. And I’ll keep my Mechagnome monk around, because I just find her very entertaining. :grin:

PS: I just realized that your Mechagnome monk’s name is one that I had, but eventually deleted, on the server that I use for my Alliance chars. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Harmony through screaming and punching.

Hi-YAAAAHH! So so quietly.

:rofl:

You’ve summed up the Gnome, Mechagnome and Vulpera races (as monk), true. But other races make barely a peep while throwing kicks and punches. It just seems horribly inconsistent. And this is the point at which someone asks, “When has Activision-Blizzard ever been consistent?” :laughing:

For some races it is mostly due to a bug introduced in legion with the reworked SEF clones. Male Human is literally the HMFF sound on repeat until the buff duration ends, while my male panda makes little to no noise at all in terms of attacks.

I’m guessing that by “HMFF,” you refer to the “hmpf” sound that’s made when a person–or, in this case, a virtual human char–is irritated. Yeah, that, too, would bug me, I suspect. (I’ve not tested a human monk.)

I’m happy with the quietness of many WoW monk races, particularly: Orc, HMT and Velf. Ironically, Gnome and Mechagnome bother me little, despite making for noise monks; for whatever reason, the Vulpera’s and DID’s fighting emotes bother me. :thinking: Thankfully, I can stick with my Vulpera and DID elemental shamans, in order to enjoy playing those races. :grin:

I scream “HI-YA!” When I do my karate chops

Not sure what you’re talking about

Not all of us are Caine from Kung Fu

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, I race-changed my female Orc monk to a female HMT today; now I can sport moose antlers, kick with hooves and still remain a relatively quiet fighter. Woot!

Grats and enjoy!

1 Like

Which races are noisiest? I feel my female Kul Titan is relatively quiet but I noticed my void elf rogue was far more vocal in combat.

I will have to test my other monks because I prefer LOUD NOISES

I mean we aren’t ninjas, but actual hand to hand combat is noisy and proper breathing can make the difference.

Also https://whyy.org/segments/the-science-of-grunting-while-weightlifting/ slightly off topic, but it works.