Should we give Talent Swapping a cooldown as well?

oh man, imagine the forum salt

Eh, just because it was in DnD does not mean that it’s RP friendly.

They had to move mountains of lore to make that particular mechanic make sense in-game, and it only came to exist because it was a mechanical addition first, not a piece of lore reflected in those mechanics. Why shouldn’t a Mage be able to learn everything they put the time and effort into learning?

1 Like

Perhaps Soulbinds are testing the waters, there?

I infinitely prefer having a select number of loadouts to select from to the current “system,” which is barely a system because of how emergent its usage currently is.

Yes please, I am all for that, make builds actually matter, week long cooldown so people find a build that works well for both m+ and raids and all their encounters instead of change to best build for each.

1 Like

Why not simply have both tools and utilize them depending on context? Why add the extra step if the expectation is to “choose” again before every encounter?

Well that was always something that was on the first page of the DMG: House rules win in all cases. Myself and many other DMs didn’t (and don’t) enforce spell components or spell buying because it was just annoying and got in the way of fun.

1 Like

Because that’s not the game blizzard has given us.

I’d love to not have to choose between tyhpoon and entangling roots. I’d love to have both.

but the devs don’t want that, so for most fights, i need typhoon, but some, I need roots.

2 Likes

I’d rather they give us everything. And let us use whatever we want, when we want.

1 Like

me too

but people get bent when they have too many spells in their spellbook :confused:

If we had the old talent trees, sure.

But the new talent trees intentionally ripped abilities out of our spellbooks and put them into talents to make us swap around often. That was the intention behind their design.

Give us back our abilities and we can talk about not swapping.

4 Likes

I think having too many buttons in a rotation is an issue. Personally, that’s not fun.

The utility abilities that we’re getting back should have never been removed.

3 Likes

No.

No :stuck_out_tongue:

Players are still going to expect you to swap talents, putting a cooldown on it will only result in waiting longer because “we’re going to sit here and wait until I have perfect talents”.

I 100% don’t disagree

So run with people that don’t do that. No need to negatively impact everyone because you’re annoyed at waiting.

1 Like

Eh, I led with a single potential solution that Blizzard seems to be interested in currently. I’m open to any other solutions. Do you find the constant talent swapping to be an issue? If not, that’s fair. If so, how would you make the system more tolerable?

Nope. If people want to swap a bunch, I don’t care. And that’s coming from someone who almost never changes individual talents.

2 Likes

The new talents also intentionally ripped key talents out of talents and baked them into each specialization. That part always seems to get glossed over. Almost every critical 11, 21, and 31 pt active talent was baked into the spec.

Well meme’d, friend.

Because they were inherent parts of it. Utility, things that depend on context… why make use choose moment to moment?

I don’t want a cooldown on talents, just pointing out that when most people say they moved some baseline skills into talents they conveniently leave out how they moved the majority of key talents into baseline skills.